News Article: Galchenyuk Willing to accept 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Julien or any coach will 'help'...but it's mostly up to him.

I agree. I just think that Julien is a better communicator than Therrien ever was. I found that confidence was also an issue with Galch after he came back from his injury. He also seems to work hard in the offseason. we'll see...Time will tell.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Let me make it clear that I absolutely do not want Galchenyuk traded. But if he does go, give me Drouin or Duchene any day over Derek ****ing Stepan. Hell, give me Claude Giroux and that contract over Stepan.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'm a huge Drouin fan. As big of a fan as I am of Galchenyuk. I wouldn't mind that deal. We shouldn't have to trade a 1st though.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
That is all minutes so includes PP+SH time. It's unfair to look at when comparing players since PP and SH time will skew things.

That's fine , I am not a big fan of taking one advanced stat amongst all of the available metrics and passing judgement (either positive or negative).

I also have no issue with Danault , I like him on the team and he should be good in our top 9 for the next foreseeable future. However the hate on Galchenyuk is mostly unwarranted and I get that people are frustrated but trading Galchenyuk for spare parts of a lesser/older return will not improve the situation (it will in fact have the opposite effect).

Galchenyuk like most young stars , needs consistency and proper guidance not the threat of demotion or trade anytime his play isn't perfect.
Everyone wants to focus on the 5 years he has been in the NHL when this is how the new NHL is run. The old method for star prospects was to give them a small taste of the NHL and then season them in the minors/AHL. The new mantra is to let them learn (while making normal mistakes) in the NHL , which will allow to have low cost players to compliment your veterans. There will always be players which will go above and beyond (not to mention superstar/generational talent).
However look at the difference between Galchenyuk and Forsberg , Forsberg gets full confidence from his coaching staff (while making his fair share of mistakes in his first few seasons , see Preds board , I don't watch enough Nasvhille to judge myself). Galchenyuk was thrown everywhere across the line-up and when he found success with linemates he was shuffled around to allow DD to come out of his many slumps. Not to mention Galchenyuk always hovers around 15 minutes of ice-time vs 17-18 for Forsberg. (The difference is not purely PK ice-time).

Remember Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher , they enjoyed some success until the lines were shuffled.
What about Lekhonen-Galchenyuk-Radulov , everything seemed to be rolling fine until an injury.
There many examples of this , the blame should fall some on the player but mostly on mismanagement.
It's absolutely not too late to right the ship and give Galchenyuk every opportunity to succeed. Confidence goes a long way with young player and you'd hate to find out what you had when he is producing on another team. (because it's much easier to convince ourselves "he would never have produced as well with the Habs").

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
One should wonder if Alex Galchenyuk himself has any interest in developing further as well...

He's a kid, it doesn't matter how he feels right now. The right leadership can get him going, you just need to figure out how to connect with him.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't mind Drouin one bit. I don't like potentially giving up the 1st to make it happen, but at least it's a weaker draft year? I'd want a 2nd round pick back though at the very least this year...

Drouin though. I dig it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
You guys really think AG + 2017 1st is being discussed for Derek Stepan? Come on. I know we're a doomsday cult but let's keep it realistic. (if it happens I will be the first to call for MB's firing)...

LOL that's totally believable coming from you...

You would have to be stupid to trade Galchenyuk for Stepan.

Sound familiar?

E82

Feb 3, 2015
Any trade that will help propel the team forward is welcomed but exactly HOW much better is Drouin than Galchenyuk on the ice that we might have to add a pick or a prospect? I mean don't forgot this is the same Drouin that cried when things didnt go his way and refused to play. How will Marc Kharacter handle him? I mean I personally have no issues with trouble players so long as they are gamers. But Marc Kharacter doesn't like off ice drama.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I don't mind Drouin one bit. I don't like potentially giving up the 1st to make it happen, but at least it's a weaker draft year? I'd want a 2nd round pick back though at the very least this year...

Drouin though. I dig it.

Same here. But I thought that Tampa is having cap issues. Why would they want AG in return and not try to negotiate a contract with Drouin?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Just read the Drouin for Galchenyuk rumour, can someone explain to me how that makes sense to Montreal? I like Drouin as much as anyone, but you give up Galchenyuk and a 1st for another winger??

Gives you Danault, Plekanec and Mitchell as your centres? Seems like a huge step back, even IF Drouin exceeds expectations.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The team obviously doesn't view Chucky of ever being able to become a Center.....I have no problem with that. I think a combo of Patches and Lehky at LW is quite solid going forward.

I have no problem trading Chucky, but all I ask is that we get a Center in return. If we have to add to the package, fine, but let's get someone who makes a difference down the middle.

Last edited:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd love getting Drouin for Galchenyuk, he's a hell of a player.

If that happened, hopefully Radulov re-signs and we can trade Pacioretty for a C.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Galchenyuk and a 1st for Drouin would be a better Galchenyuk trade than I'm expecting will happen. Not really a fan; having to give up a 1st is dumb, it doesn't address a need and Galchenyuk's track record is better but I could deal with it.

If I'm Tampa I'd be trying to make it a 1st in 2019 and hope Price doesn't actually re-sign.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I think Drouin has more upside ultimately but it's close. I see no reason to give up a 1st on top of it though. There's more upside but not THAT much. The guy is a LW, where exactly is he going to play? And with who?

void

Jan 5, 2006
K but who exactly is going to play centre for the Habs if the Galchenyuk for Drouin deal ends up being true? I don't get it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just read the Drouin for Galchenyuk rumour, can someone explain to me how that makes sense to Montreal? I like Drouin as much as anyone, but you give up Galchenyuk and a 1st for another winger??

Gives you Danault, Plekanec and Mitchell as your centres? Seems like a huge step back, even IF Drouin exceeds expectations.

If you believe this rumor...I'm not sure how you've surmised that because they've acquired Drouin, it means they're going with Danault, Plekanec and Mitchell down the middle.

It's June 14th..not October 14th

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
K but who exactly is going to play centre for the Habs if the Galchenyuk for Drouin deal ends up being true? I don't get it.

Assuming Radulov is signed, they'd have Drouin, Rad, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Shaw, Lehkonen and Byron on the wing.. he'd likely have a deal where a winger gets traded for a C.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
If you believe this rumor...I'm not sure how you've surmised that because they've acquired Drouin, it means they're going with Danault, Plekanec and Mitchell down the middle.

It's June 14th..not October 14th

Well, hypothetically of course, you also give up a 1st, which means you lose another trade chip in your desperate search for not only one top-6 centre, but two...

But hey, lots of available centres out there.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Assuming Radulov is signed, they'd have Drouin, Rad, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Shaw, Lehkonen and Byron on the wing.. he'd likely have a deal where a winger gets traded for a C.

It probably would have to be Pacioretty and/or Gallagher being shipped out in order to get a legit centre back. Even then they'd probably have to add a lot more to make the deal happen. The Habs really don't have that many valuable assets they can play around with.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I want to add a qualifier that it may end up being a Subban -Weber trade in that no hole will be filled. That said, I think we get the higher upside in Drouin. Hard for me to be objective because I like Drouin a lot. But I can see how it might be looked as a lateral deal.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Galchenyuk for Drouin makes no sense... I mean , I would do the deal but we need centers not another winger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad