News Article: Galchenyuk Willing to accept 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
While I agree with this, go back and watch the highlights from the first 25 games of last season. Galchenyuk was playing with full confidence and he was a beast out there, dominating the play.

Is he ever gonna be as good as Duchesne defensively? Maybe not. But this is something that can be improved with time.

Let's wait another 5 years , maybe he will finally get it...

I understand what you're saying, but I still think you are giving Duchene too much credit. He's reached 70 points once, and hasn't gotten more than 59 pts at all in the past 3 seasons despite playing with significantly more talent than Galchenyuk. He's produced at .65 ppg the past three seasons compared to Galchenyuk's .65 ppg. Again, despite being 3 years older and player with significantly more talent.

Anyone with illusions of Duchene being some incredible #1C compared to Galchenyuk should take a step back and analyze the situation. They have identical production over the past three seasons. One would expect Galchenyuk's production will rise significantly over the next 3 seasons and find himself in the .75-.85 ppg range. For a team that is starved for offence, our priority should be putting Galchenyuk in an offensive role with talent, rather than trading him for some two-way centre.

Significantly more talent? Who are you talking about? Landeskog, Iginla, Tanguay and Blake Comeau? While having one decent Dman on the team?

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
I wouldn't be surprised if the trade Mcguire alluded to is Galchenyuk + 1st round pick for Derek Stepan. Would be par for the course; we have been getting bent over by the Rangers in the playoffs and in trades for a while now..

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I understand what you're saying, but I still think you are giving Duchene too much credit. He's reached 70 points once, and hasn't gotten more than 59 pts at all in the past 3 seasons despite playing with significantly more talent than Galchenyuk. He's produced at .65 ppg the past three seasons compared to Galchenyuk's .65 ppg. Again, despite being 3 years older and player with significantly more talent.

Anyone with illusions of Duchene being some incredible #1C compared to Galchenyuk should take a step back and analyze the situation. They have identical production over the past three seasons. One would expect Galchenyuk's production will rise significantly over the next 3 seasons and find himself in the .75-.85 ppg range. For a team that is starved for offence, our priority should be putting Galchenyuk in an offensive role with talent, rather than trading him for some two-way centre.

I agree with you and as i said no i wouldn't trade Galchenyuk for Duchene for the same reasons you mentioned.

I was just replying to SnapVirus who said Duchene was done and compared him to Plekanec. Yeah his production was terrible this year but the guy is still only 26 so it's not impossible that he find his game again with a change of scenery. And by finding his game i mean being back to his 55-60pts self , with the possibility of more than 60pts (65-70ish pts) depending on who he plays with. He does have a 70pts , 67pts and near PPG (43pts in 47 games) seasons under his belt. I don't think it's impossible he could do it again for one season or two but i don't think he has it in him to become a constant 70pts player. That's imho of course ;)

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
He's not done. He just is what he is: a second line center. Trading Galchenyuk for him would be a mistake.

IMO Galchenyuk is who he is as well: a second line winger. Kostitsyn 2.0.

I'd rather acquire Duchene and keep Chucky, but I do believe that Duchene is the superior player.

Edit: regarding the Plekanec comparisons - I'd trade for a 26 year old Plekanec in a heart beat.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
To those who say we're dealing Galchenyuk from a position of weakness;
I'll make a bold prediction here. We'll talk about it again at this time next year;

The longer Galchenyuk stays in this organization, the lower his trade value will go. Not only will he make a fool of himself again and again, but people will also start to wonder why Sergachev is having a bad attitude and starts having other priorities than hockey in his mind.

Galchenyuk's family is ****ed up. There's nothing good that ever comes out of such situations. It's foolish to think that because it's here, it will be any different.

It's the Kostitsyn scenario waiting to happen all over again (losing him for a draft pick after waiting too long). Yes, this guy will end up having great stretches where he flirts around the 1 PPG mark for like 15 or 20 games. But hoping for any kind of consistency, drive, or sustainable impact from this guy is like hoping for a miracle.

Before you come up with the Price argument... 5 years into starting in the NHL, Price had already matured off the ice. His off-ice crap was already behind him.

EDIT: ^^ wizard

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
To those who say we're dealing Galchenyuk from a position of weakness;
I'll make a bold prediction here. We'll talk about it again at this time next year;

The longer Galchenyuk stays in this organization, the lower his trade value will go. Not only will he make a fool of himself again and again, but people will also start to wonder why Sergachev is having a bad attitude and starts having other priorities than hockey in his mind.

Galchenyuk's family is ****ed up. There's nothing good that ever comes out of such situations. It's foolish to think that because it's here, it will be any different.

It's the Kostitsyn scenario waiting to happen all over again (losing him for a draft pick after waiting too long). Yes, this guy will end up having great stretches where he flirts around the 1 PPG mark for like 15 or 20 games. But hoping for any kind of consistency, drive, or sustainable impact from this guy is like hoping for a miracle.

Before you come up with the Price argument... 5 years into starting in the NHL, Price had already matured off the ice. His off-ice crap was already behind him.

EDIT: ^^ wizard

And you know this for certain? you hangout with the family?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Not sure it's appropriate to discuss how ****ed up or not the kid's family is. But basically the only factual point you make is that he'll have spurts of close to a ppg pace for 15-20 games before fading away, similar to Kostitsyn. Well the kid performed at a pace of .9 ppg for the 53 regular season games prior to his injury in December of 2016. He flirted with a ppg pace for over half of an 82 game season. This at the tender age of 22. He also had a 30 goal season at the age of 22.

If you're going to berate the player and suggest his value will be equivalent to a 2nd round pick we got for AK46, at least provide some facts about his production or about his play rather than complaining about whatever off-ice issues you believe he has or whatever you read about his family in the tabloids.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
And you know this for certain? you hangout with the family?

No, I just don't bury my head in the sand and start cherry-picking only the bits I like about a player because he can pull 2 or 3 junior-level dekes here and there (which succeed 2% of the time).

When the family gets too involved into a guy's career and into negociations, it's NEVER a good sign.

Igor Larionov is probably a better source than anyone on the matter. But people just called him a jealous fool when he raised some obvious redlights about Galchenyuk, his attitude and his surroundings.

****ed up might be a bit of a big word, but the things you hear and read are not exactly what you normally see in sane players with sane surroundings.

Last edited:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Not sure it's appropriate to discuss how ****ed up or not the kid's family is. But basically the only factual point you make is that he'll have spurts of close to a ppg pace for 15-20 games before fading away, similar to Kostitsyn. Well the kid performed at a pace of .9 ppg for the 53 regular season games prior to his injury in December of 2016. He flirted with a ppg pace for over half of an 82 game season. This at the tender age of 22. He also had a 30 goal season at the age of 22.

If you're going to berate the player and suggest his value will be equivalent to a 2nd round pick we got for AK46, at least provide some facts about his production or about his play rather than complaining about whatever off-ice issues you believe he has or whatever you read about his family in the tabloids.

Oh yeah, paces. Just like Chris Higgins who had 27 goals and 11 assists for 38 points in 42 games prior to his injury in November 2006. I remember, people even said they wouldn't give him up for a Marian Hossa in his prime at the time. Hell, even a 1-for-1 trade for a prime Patrick Marleau was being considered idiotic.

I remember what people said also. "Off-ice issues are overwhelmed". "It's fine, he's young.". "It's stupid to listen to tabloids".

Same **** with the Kostitsyn.

Some people never learn. I did. I don't want the same scenario to repeat all over again. Especially with a young Russian D that is vulnerable to this kind of bad influences. I trade Galchenyuk one-for-one for Duchene without even thinking twice. I'd even add a bit on top of it. Not because Duchene is a franchise player. But because it's definitely going to make the TEAM as a whole better. Like last year's blockbuster did, whether people want to admit it or not.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
IMO Galchenyuk is who he is as well: a second line winger. Kostitsyn 2.0.

I'd rather acquire Duchene and keep Chucky, but I do believe that Duchene is the superior player.

Edit: regarding the Plekanec comparisons - I'd trade for a 26 year old Plekanec in a heart beat.

I think Chucky can break out once he's away from the organization, but his skating will always hold him back and that's something he should take initiative of to fix which he hasn't yet. However, he's proven he can produce and score 30 goals at the NHL level. He definitely didn't turn out to be what he could have been coming out of his draft year and what he was built up as.

I still think he can be a top line RWer, but not a center unless the team he's traded to really works hard with him.

That said, I still wouldn't want to trade him in a deal where he's the best player. I definitely wouldn't want him traded for Duchene. I'd rather package him with other good assets to get a proven top-line center. Unfortunately, we're stuck because there's not any top-line centers available this summer (Tavares is probably going to get locked up) and the longer we hold onto Galchenyuk the worse the situation gets.

I wouldn't mind trading him in a deal for Drouin but I'm not holding my breath on that happening at all.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The Galchenyuk for Duchene debate is pointless. Colorado doesn't want another top six forward in return. They want a defenceman.

That's why the initial rumour was Chuck+Sergachev. Colorado wants a defenceman. And if they have to take a kid not ready, they wanted Chuck to balance it. But the goal is to acquire a defenceman.

The Habs have a better shot offering Weber for Duchene than Chuck+1st.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I wouldn't be surprised if the trade Mcguire alluded to is Galchenyuk + 1st round pick for Derek Stepan. Would be par for the course; we have been getting bent over by the Rangers in the playoffs and in trades for a while now..

I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor McGuire alluded to is one of the 100's that I've seen invented here the last few weeks involving Galchenyuk + 1st round pick for Stepan or Spezza or Giroux or Kesler or Dubinsky.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
McGuire didn't even say that the Habs were considering this trade. All he said was that he was that he was aware of a number of offers made to the Habs, one of which would be a terrible deal if MB accepted it. Which is to say, McGuire said nothing.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
McGuire didn't even say that the Habs were considering this trade. All he said was that he was that he was aware of a number of offers made to the Habs, one of which would be a terrible deal if MB accepted it. Which is to say, McGuire said nothing.

It says three things pretty clearly:

- None of the other offers McGuire has heard about are worth mentioning, but one was bad.

- If he's saying it's a terrible deal if Bergevin accepted it, it means he thinks he might. If he didn't think he would take it, it wouldn't be mentioned.

- Teams are making bad offers for the Habs players because they don't respect the GM enough to make a great offer. His desperation for a centre is obvious to everyone.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
It says three things pretty clearly:

- None of the other offers McGuire has heard about are worth mentioning, but one was bad.

- If he's saying it's a terrible deal if Bergevin accepted it, it means he thinks he might. If he didn't think he would take it, it wouldn't be mentioned.

- Teams are making bad offers for the Habs players because they don't respect the GM enough to make a great offer. His desperation for a centre is obvious to everyone.

He didn't say most of that. He just didn't. You can believe those things and you might be right. But I'm just saying - that's not what he said. He said he had heard of a number of offers that have been made and that if MB accepts one of them it would be a terrible mistake.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

And he chose to reveal 50% of the worst offer he heard...hmm...OK Pierre

HE thinks the player coming back, which he refuses to name, isn't very good presumably and that if Bergevin accepts it, it's a horrible deal.

Still waiting to chew on something here....
- Teams are making bad offers for the Habs players because they don't respect the GM enough to make a great offer. His desperation for a centre is obvious to everyone

You, like McGuire, are using your opinion and passing it off as fact...

What McGuire said on 690 isn't any different than the 100's of trade proposals from frustrated Habs fans I've been reading here for the last few weeks.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The Galchenyuk for Duchene debate is pointless. Colorado doesn't want another top six forward in return. They want a defenceman.

That's why the initial rumour was Chuck+Sergachev. Colorado wants a defenceman. And if they have to take a kid not ready, they wanted Chuck to balance it. But the goal is to acquire a defenceman.

The Habs have a better shot offering Weber for Duchene than Chuck+1st.

They could dangle Chucky for a young D afterwards...

If Chucky+1st is the best value he gets he will do the deal IMO.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
You, like McGuire, are using your opinion and passing it off as fact...

What McGuire said on 690 isn't any different than the 100's of trade proposals from frustrated Habs fans I've been reading here for the last few weeks.

Therefore you need to read stuff here as opinions cause thats what they are. Of course we speculate in such threads.

Some of you are funny with your need for facts on such topics.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Therefore you need to read stuff here as opinions cause thats what they are. Of course we speculate in such threads.

Some of you are funny with your need for facts on such topics.

I think you need to follow the conversation I was having with that poster...

HE said that all I'm doing is spreading my opinion and not facts.

You should take you're own advice

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal

Wouldn't be surprised if what he heard was Galchenyuk + 1st for Stepan.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
you know what screw it. Keep this dude

If there is one guy we should trade to improve our team it's mr captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad