News Article: Galchenyuk Willing to accept 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/06/01/potential-rfa-galchenyuk-willing-to-accept-one-year-deal/

Something tells me he could be wanting his way out? Why not sign long term but only take a 1 year deal? I know he struggled a bit last year, but he still was a top 10 player pre-injury and a 30 goal scorer last year. Either that or he doesn't want to cash in until he fully breaks out and signs a 7+ million dollar contract.

He doesn't want a long term contract, because he feels like he'll end up being under paid after 1 or 2 seasons. He is probably confident that he can have a good season in 2017-2018 that could give him negotiation arguments for a better contract next off season. If he wanted out, he'd be advocating for a 2 years contract which would lead to him being UFA at the end of his contract.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
This is where MB needs to work some magic and get him signed long term regardless. Signing him to a long-term deal now would be at a much better cap hit than after next season.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Say no to one year deals!!!!

Pleky did a one year deal , and ? It cost us way more
He could have been signed 3.5 million long term..but nope ..one year deal and chaching...

Josh Gorges same thing...he did a one year deal and it cost us big time..
Ended up we lost him because 4 million per was a little rich...

Radulov 1 year deal....It's goona cost us way more now
He would have took 3 year deal @5.75....but no we gave him a 1 year.

Now it will cost us 7-7.5 million per x 6 years

Heck even Subban was headed for a 1 year deal...until Montreal caved in ....and Subban got bank...

No more one year deal !!!!

Last edited:

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Bergevin should try and capitalize on his mediocre season.

I don't know. Not the best way to keep your players happy. Nothing wrong paying your players their value over the years. The problem is overpaying, especially for declining players and bottom sixers (like Shaw) that you should be able to replace from within at low cost. Taking advantage of this situation is not best strategy to build a long term successful organization. Brisson (I believe he is Galchenyuk's agent?) won't fall for it anyway.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
A 1 year deal is 100% in Chuck's best interest right now, which is why his agent is probably pushing for it big time. I don't think Bergy has much choice but to go with it, unless Chuck is seen as a trade chip now.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This is where MB needs to work some magic and get him signed long term regardless. Signing him to a long-term deal now would be at a much better cap hit than after next season.

Galchy has no advantage whatsoever in signing a long-term deal.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I think a one-year deal makes sense. Galchenyuk will be extra motivated to prove he is a 1st-line player. And if that turns out to be at centre, then that solves the team's number one problem right now.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Maybe Bergevin isn't willing to sign him to a long term deal which is why Chucky is saying he's happy to do a one year to prove himself.

Gives Beregevin more cap room this year to get a true no. 1 and gives Chucky another year to prove himself or be a valuable trade chip at the deadline if we have to trade him.

I realize the downside but there's also an upside too.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A 1 year deal is 100% in Chuck's best interest right now, which is why his agent is probably pushing for it big time. I don't think Bergy has much choice but to go with it, unless Chuck is seen as a trade chip now.

Only way Galchenyuk gets a favorable pay day is to not sign long term as Bergevin has plenty of arguments to low ball him in a long term deal.

This can get very risky for the Habs esp. if he gets too close to his UFA years without a long term deal.

While I can't blame Galchenyuk for taking this approach, if I'm Bergevin, I don't sit on the situation too long and trade him if the right package comes along.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Maybe Bergevin isn't willing to sign him to a long term deal which is why Chucky is saying he's happy to do a one year to prove himself.

Gives Beregevin more cap room this year to get a true no. 1 and gives Chucky another year to prove himself or be a valuable trade chip at the deadline if we have to trade him.

I realize the downside but there's also an upside too.

It all comes down to both parties expectations for next season. I'm sure Galchenyuk would be happy with a a good season and strong playoff performance (assuming we make it) and MB would be just as happy to pay the price for this. You're not supposed to scrape pennies of your best players, you should find other ways/places to save money. In my mind anyway.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't know. Not the best way to keep your players happy. Nothing wrong paying your players their value over the years. The problem is overpaying, especially for declining players and bottom sixers (like Shaw) that you should be able to replace from within at low cost. Taking advantage of this situation is not best strategy to build a long term successful organization. Brisson (I believe he is Galchenyuk's agent?) won't fall for it anyway.

I'm not suggesting lowballing him like crazy, but it's an opportunity to have a fair deal for both sides.

Brisson and Chucky will definitely push for a one-year deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think a 8 year deal at $6M AAV (+/-) gets it done. MacKinnon and Monahan are a great comparable. I think Bergevin needs to stress with Galchenyuk/Agent that we are interested in a long term deal and willing to overpay slightly to get the long term deal done.

I hope we don't mess this contract negotiation up. We need this kid locked up long term at a team friendly deal. Don't let Subban round 2 happen! You give him a 1 year deal and he likely breaks out next year at age 24. Then imagine the long term contract is around $7M+ AAV.

There is no way Galchenyuk and his agent can ask for more money than MacKinnon or Monahan. $6M is the right number IMO. Anything less than $5.5, Galchenyuk doesn't accept. He may accept something like $5.75M AAV. Hard to say

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Galchenyuk doesn't have the same value to the team as a winger, as he would have as a top 6 center.

Plus, the thread title doesn't make sense. What does it mean, he's "willing" to accept a one year deal? Wouldn't that be in his best interests to do that rather than settle for what won't be a very high salary long-term, given his checkered performance from last year and the recurring criticism about his defensive shortcomings?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It all comes down to both parties expectations for next season. I'm sure Galchenyuk would be happy with a a good season and strong playoff performance (assuming we make it) and MB would be just as happy to pay the price for this. You're not supposed to scrape pennies of your best players, you should find other ways/places to save money. In my mind anyway.

I agree. If Chucky can go out and show he can perform at the level of other guys his age he'd be in that $5-6M range. He's not there now and I'm sure he wants to show he can be that player and Bergevin wants him to show it during the season to help the team, in particular, at centre. This is Chucky's "show me" contract and he knows it.

Like I said, is he signs for a $2-3M 1 year contract it'll help the team sign a top end centre for this year which will be tight as it is.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think a 8 year deal at $6M AAV (+/-) gets it done. MacKinnon and Monahan are a great comparable. I think Bergevin needs to stress with Galchenyuk/Agent that we are interested in a long term deal and willing to overpay slightly to get the long term deal done.

I hope we don't mess this contract negotiation up. We need this kid locked up long term at a team friendly deal. Don't let Subban round 2 happen! You give him a 1 year deal and he likely breaks out next year at age 24. Then imagine the long term contract is around $7M+ AAV.

There is no way Galchenyuk and his agent can ask for more money than MacKinnon or Monahan. $6M is the right number IMO. Anything less than $5.5, Galchenyuk doesn't accept. He may accept something like $5.75M AAV. Hard to say

He doesn't deserve 6M per year let's be honest here, way too many holes in his game.

Is he going to be able to overcome them? Maybe, but what if he doesn't?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
This is decision time on the whole Galchenyuk situation in any case. The organization has to either really commit to him or use him as an asset while his value is still good. There is no middle ground that will benefit the team. If we give him 1 year now, we better be willing to go all the way with the kid moving forward. If not, it's time to make a move.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This is decision time on the whole Galchenyuk situation in any case. The organization has to either really commit to him or use him as an asset while his value is still good. There is no middle ground that will benefit the team.

Totally agree with that.

You accept to live or die with him or you trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad