Sportsnet: Galchenyuk on the trade block when Penguins are healthy

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This has Yzerman written all over it.

I was going to say the same thing, until I remembered Galchenyuk is a UFA this summer.

Given that, Yzerman could still bite, but the Pens likely wouldn't be getting anything of impactful value. Maybe pick 2 out of the clearance bin... Nielsen, Ericsson, Helm, Daley, Bowey -salary retention where needed, conditional pick(s) based on Galchenyuk's future in Detroit, unsigned draft choices (IE like when SY sent Regula for Perlini...)?

Otherwise, I don't see him sending out anything like AA or a draft pick in the first 3 rounds.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was going to say the same thing, until I remembered Galchenyuk is a UFA this summer.

Given that, Yzerman could still bite, but the Pens likely wouldn't be getting anything of impactful value. Maybe pick 2 out of the clearance bin... Nielsen, Ericsson, Helm, Daley, Bowey -salary retention where needed, conditional pick(s) based on Galchenyuk's future in Detroit, unsigned draft choices (IE like when SY sent Regula for Perlini...)?

Otherwise, I don't see him sending out anything like AA or a draft pick in the first 3 rounds.

Seeing how Galchenyuk was literally traded for Phil Kessel about 5 months ago, why do you think that the crap you're offering would get him? Honest question on that. Because he showed like 3 months ago that his value is still perceived to be one of a top-6 forward, and you're offering cap dumps and late picks for him.

I just honestly don't get some of the posts I see on the trade board. Sure, maybe Galchenyuk doesn't have the value he had over the off-season because of the first 20 games of this year, but it's a hell of a lot closer to what it was 5 months ago than "maybe 2 cap dumps".

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Penguins should let his agent talk to other teams about an extension since being a UFA really limits possible destinations.

Reactions: ownal

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Seeing how Galchenyuk was literally traded for Phil Kessel about 5 months ago, why do you think that the crap you're offering would get him? Honest question on that. Because he showed like 3 months ago that his value is still perceived to be one of a top-6 forward, and you're offering cap dumps and late picks for him.

I just honestly don't get some of the posts I see on the trade board. Sure, maybe Galchenyuk doesn't have the value he had over the off-season because of the first 20 games of this year, but it's a hell of a lot closer to what it was 5 months ago than "maybe 2 cap dumps".

I'm not at all saying it would get him. I'm just saying that might be all that Yzerman would be willing to move to bring in a guy that could be a rental.

I should've just said "Not a realistic trade target for the Red Wings." :dunno:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not surprised to be honest, not a chance GMJR extends him the way he has been producing
And to be honest, I`m really surprised by all of this cause I was one who really thought that him and Geno would have been a force together.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If this ends up being true, he just can’t stay anywhere. It’s sad.

Not sure that's the case 100% with the Pens. I dont think he was in the long term plans. If he stunk, no resign. If he played well, hed be too expensive for them. I think part of his value to the Pens was that he was a UFA.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
Not sure that's the case 100% with the Pens. I dont think he was in the long term plans. If he stunk, no resign. If he played well, hed be too expensive for them. I think part of his value to the Pens was that he was a UFA.

I'd say this is true. They were hoping for the best this season out of Chucky but I think it was always a 1 year thing. If the Pens move him I dont want to see them pick up any big salary going forward. Saw some people in this thread suggesting Nino Neiderrider but I wouldn't want that contract going forward even if he was decently good. The best thing about trading for Chucky was the financial flexibility going forward. I personally would just keep him and let him walk after the year or swap him for whatever pick(s) you could get. But no thanks on taking back any bad contracts.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

I’m not gonna go too far into it because pens would definitely know more than I would, but I was just speaking to how he can’t seem to find a team still somewhat early into his career in general, not just about Piittsburgh. It’s just perplexing. I said the same thing when he was traded there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You owe us for two defensemen! :laugh:

Galchenyuk doesn't look that great this year. I dunno, can you get more than a 4th? Maybe a 3rd?

The problem with that deal is including Manning more than anything :laugh:

Galchenyuk was traded with a good prospect for Kessel like 5 months ago. His value isn't what it was during the off-season, but it's not like obscenely less now. You've seen worse rentals than Galchenyuk go for a 2nd, so a 2nd is the minimum expectation I have. That's pretty in line with what Johansson brought back last year.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The problem with that deal is including Manning more than anything :laugh:

Galchenyuk was traded with a good prospect for Kessel like 5 months ago. His value isn't what it was during the off-season, but it's not like obscenely less now. You've seen worse rentals than Galchenyuk go for a 2nd, so a 2nd is the minimum expectation I have. That's pretty in line with what Johansson brought back last year.

That might be expecting too much for a guy who is a healthy scratch. I dunno.. I included Manning only because of the cap situation on Edmonton. Like Galchenyuk he is also a UFA at the end of the year so it's a short term cheap dump.

Hey if the Penguins can get a 2nd for Gally more power to them !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad