Sportsnet: Galchenyuk on the trade block when Penguins are healthy

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Trading a rental having a disappointing season for 4yrs of a guy getting paid 4.9 mil to be even worse is a real 300IQ play.
Only happens if you think Wennberg will be better (return to 50-60point form) like all players end up being when they leave our team. See Voracek, Brassard, Stralman, Marchessault, Duclair, Karlsson etc.

:sadface:

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The Penguins should let his agent talk to other teams about an extension since being a UFA really limits possible destinations.
I think an issue I potentially see is what team would be willing, right now, to give him a good enough extension that Galchenyuk would agree to sign it? My guess is teams might be wary of giving him a big extension and he may not want to sign one if it isn’t good enough. Who knows though. If there’s not a good enough deal, Pens should hold onto him until the deadline.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Chucky hasn't been all that bad. He's limited in ice time but producing at a 40 point clip despite playing with 3rd and 4th liners. He also was hampered with injury. Pittsburgh has no reason currently to sell low here.

I agree with the notion that he doesn't necessarily fit Sullivan's system. But that shouldn't mean we just give the guy away for pennies on the dollar. We're not dealing from a position of weakness.

Reactions: TNT87

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
That might be expecting too much for a guy who is a healthy scratch. I dunno.. I included Manning only because of the cap situation on Edmonton. Like Galchenyuk he is also a UFA at the end of the year so it's a short term cheap dump.

Hey if the Penguins can get a 2nd for Gally more power to them !
The pens do need a 2nd round pick in this years upcoming draft due to that pick was sent to Vegas for agreeing to pick Fleury in the expansion draft. With all of the RFA the pens need to sign after this season; I'd rather see the pens get a draft pick instead of another contract back in a trade for Galchenyuk.

Reactions: TFHockey

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Galchenyuk just really seems to be one of those 1-dimensional offensive players who manages to run themselves out of multiple cities, under multiple coaches...despite being reasonably productive. I think we've reached beyond the real threshold of "buyer beware". You get what you get. Following in the fine tradition of legends like post-Buffalo Vanek, but getting a nice early start on it.

rabi

Feb 27, 2002
Lancaster, NY
Visit site

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    627.5 KB · Views: 1

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Chucky hasn't been all that bad. He's limited in ice time but producing at a 40 point clip despite playing with 3rd and 4th liners. He also was hampered with injury. Pittsburgh has no reason currently to sell low here.

I agree with the notion that he doesn't necessarily fit Sullivan's system. But that shouldn't mean we just give the guy away for pennies on the dollar. We're not dealing from a position of weakness.

This is more or less verbatim in terms of how others have discussed his play his entire career. At some point we need to start to wonder whether it’s his play rather than the system he’s been put in or his coach’s personal preference.

It seems like most coaches are afraid of playing him higher in the line up due to weak defensive play. I’ve been a Galchenyuk apologist for a lot of his career but even I’m starting to get suspicious there’s more to him than just not being a fit on three separate teams.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens can get a number 2 for him. His talent and his age are certainly worth it for some team to add him and see what he can do. His contract can be a rental or a extension depending on what the receiving team has in mind. But he will be moved if the deal is right. Pens are fine cap wise and trading him for a number 2 will probably mean the Pens are adding a contract on another deal.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Does everyone realize hes a UFA in 7 months? What Kind of 4.9 million dollar player with 2 goals that is hitting free agency in months is going to return anything other than a late pick at the deadline.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I am still amazed how far off he is from what was expected from him at the draft. He's not a total bust at all but he is not what most were expecting either. I remember some people saying that he would be Montreal's #1 center for the next 10 or so years and these aren't Canadian hopeful fans talking about the newest draft pick either, these were well respected people who make their living talking hockey.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Does everyone realize hes a UFA in 7 months? What Kind of 4.9 million dollar player with 2 goals that is hitting free agency in months is going to return anything other than a late pick at the deadline.

He'll garnish interest on the premise that his contract declines as the year goes one + you bank on a guy who's literally playing for his next contract.

Granted, there's cases where this doesn't work out at all....but largely you expect guys to elevate their play in a contract year. In Pittsburgh, Galchenyuk was injured in pre-season and never got his footing afterward. The team as a whole doesn't really have cemented lines and has produced largely in a chaos-type fashion (outside of Guentzel/Geno) - so I don't think the lack of production is certainly indicative of where he's at as a player. Though, it is what it is - so nobody is expecting a typical 1st round pick for a rental piece price.

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
Pens can get a number 2 for him. His talent and his age are certainly worth it for some team to add him and see what he can do. His contract can be a rental or a extension depending on what the receiving team has in mind. But he will be moved if the deal is right. Pens are fine cap wise and trading him for a number 2 will probably mean the Pens are adding a contract on another deal.
A number 2 what? Or you mean a 2nd?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Do you realize he was traded for Phil Kessel literally 5 months ago?

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014

and its turned out horribly? Arizona also added first round prospect, thats nothing to sneeze at. Also took advantage of a cap strapped pens team and took on an 8 million dollar contract for an expiring one worth about half.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
and its turned out horribly? Arizona also added first round prospect, thats nothing to sneeze at. Also took advantage of a cap strapped pens team and took on an 8 million dollar contract for an expiring one worth about half.

Dude, it's been 20 games. If Galchenyuk was good enough 5 months ago to be the centerpiece in the Kessel trade, he still has alright value right now.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
5 months is a decade in the NHL. We will see, but i think Pens fans will be underwhelmed by it. I say a 2nd round pick is tops

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019

That actually strengthens his point that Galchenyuk has little to no value.

Not only will he be a UFA soon, but he's being passed around quicker than a joint at a Snoop Dogg party.

This guy is rotten and his value is in the gutter.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Geno is a #1C who has spent a decade and a half playing second fiddle to Crosby without a single gripe and now he's the locker room cancer? Are you sure it's not the guy who has been run out of three cities so far?

The Pens were done with Phil and he would only go to Arizona. They got what they could.

Actually Phil's contract states he has to provide an 8 team trade list. Far from "only Arizona"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad