Sportsnet: Galchenyuk on the trade block when Penguins are healthy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
5 months is a decade in the NHL. We will see, but i think Pens fans will be underwhelmed by it. I say a 2nd round pick is tops

2nd round pick is too much. The book is out on Galchenyuk... his hockey IQ is not good and he is a liability on D. 3 teams now have given up on him and he's only 25. I wouldn't even take him back with the Habs for free! He's got skill but will frustrate the hell out of you with his work ethic. Very far from the type of playoff asset you want to add.

Prust called out his game when he was 18 :laugh: Video: Brandon Prust Imitates Alex Galchenyuk

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I think an issue I potentially see is what team would be willing, right now, to give him a good enough extension that Galchenyuk would agree to sign it? My guess is teams might be wary of giving him a big extension and he may not want to sign one if it isn’t good enough. Who knows though. If there’s not a good enough deal, Pens should hold onto him until the deadline.

Agreed. Galchenyuk with an extension actually lowers his value IMO.

Reactions: CF Punk

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Uh no. Kessel blocked a Zucker trade. Penguins had no choice. POJ will be a top 4 D in a few years.

1. Kessel has an 8 team trade list in his contract. Id say no thanks to minnesota to.
2. Penguins didnt have to trade Kessel, they just won two cups with him where hes been a ppg player in the regular season AND playoffs. After the 2016 Cup, Kessel for 7 Conn smythe votes and lost to Crosbys nine. (letang earning the other 2).
3. POJ may turn out, and he is more of a throw in than people are giving him credit for

Reactions: Dr Quincy

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
5 months is a decade in the NHL. We will see, but i think Pens fans will be underwhelmed by it. I say a 2nd round pick is tops

Whoooooooo cares?!?!?!? Kessel was a cap dump essentially. Was not needed. Held all the cards. We got a good prospect and a player we could have got a hit with. It failed. Who cares???? Trading Kessel was never about getting value. Not to mention that wasn't possible. Think of Kessel as a dump and move on with your life. Eesh

Gfroer

Jan 6, 2019
Actually Phil's contract states he has to provide an 8 team trade list. Far from "only Arizona"

Actually, it's pretty easy to put together a list of 7 teams that either wouldn't want Phil or that the Pens wouldn't trade him to to force them to only deal with Phoenix or be forced to keep him. Those 8 team clauses are entirely so the Player can choose 1 or 2 teams out of the 8 that they actually want to go to.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Whoooooooo cares?!?!?!? Kessel was a cap dump essentially. Was not needed. Held all the cards. We got a good prospect and a player we could have got a hit with. It failed. Who cares???? Trading Kessel was never about getting value. Not to mention that wasn't possible. Think of Kessel as a dump and move on with your life. Eesh

Poor Phil. I just dont get it. If you cover the name at the top of Kessel's stat sheet, any team would give the moon for him. He almost won the conn smythe twice. At 8 million a year hes not even in the top 25 highest paid players.

Hes going to the hall of fame if his weird ass public persona and hatred dont keep him out.

should be a first ballot hall of famer. 2 cups and probbaly 1000 points before he retires.

Reactions: abo9

txw

Feb 2, 2018
Uh no. Kessel blocked a Zucker trade. Penguins had no choice. POJ will be a top 4 D in a few years.
We saw him as a top 4 D, but his inability to put on weight was what made him expendable. Would love to see him excel in PIT, from whats been said hes a really good kid and has great leadership qualities.

Reactions: ownal

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Re: Nino

God I hope not. Nino can at least contribute positively even when he's not putting the puck in the net. Last thing the Canes need to be doing is getting rid of a guy that drives play even when not producing for one that flat out disappears entirely.

With how the roster is built what we honestly need is another guy that's a pain in the ass to play against even if they aren't putting up points. When healthy the team is at worst good enough to go on a good playoff run skill wise with Aho, Teravainen, Svech, Necas, Dzingle, and Haula. What we really need is someone that can knock heads if Marchand and decides to play like a little prick in a series again if we run in to Boston again.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Nino

God I hope not. Nino can at least contribute positively even when he's not putting the puck in the net. Last thing the Canes need to be doing is getting rid of a guy that drives play even when not producing for one that flat out disappears entirely.

With hi owthe roster is built what we honestly need is another guy that's a pain in the ass to play against even if they aren't putting up points. When healthy the team is at worst good enough to go on a good playoff run skill wise with Aho, Teravainen, Svech, Necas, Dzingle, and Haula. What we really need is someone that can knock heads if Marchand and decides to play like a little prick in a series again if we run in to Boston again.

Nino isn't on the trade block, no way. In fact, with how well our team is playing overall, I only see TVR and Fleury as truly being available for a trade. I could actually see TVR as being of interest by the Pens, if only because their defensemen are always injured. Galch for TVR, as a base, actually makes sense for both teams on multiple levels. Galch for Nino does not and would be a major heist for the Pens.

Reactions: DaveG

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Poor Phil. I just dont get it. If you cover the name at the top of Kessel's stat sheet, any team would give the moon for him. He almost won the conn smythe twice. At 8 million a year hes not even in the top 25 highest paid players.

Hes going to the hall of fame if his weird ass public persona and hatred dont keep him out.

should be a first ballot hall of famer. 2 cups and probbaly 1000 points before he retires.

What exactly does that have to do with anything? I love the person (as far as I know) loved the player for what he did here. The fact is he was done here and he controlled everything.

The only thing we needed was to dump him, not get value. Does/did he have value? Of course. But for this exact situation it means literally nothing that the main piece we got in return might end up being bunk.

All I wish we would all realize is (in my opinion anyway) the return was COMPLETELY irrelevant. Get what you can but ultimately it was getting rid of the player/contract. That's what was important.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'd take a 2nd for Chucky, a 3rd for Bjugstad, and then use the cap space and assets to go big game hunting for someone like Taylor Hall. We need an impact top 6 LW. There's not enough Guentzel to go around.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Actually, it's pretty easy to put together a list of 7 teams that either wouldn't want Phil or that the Pens wouldn't trade him to to force them to only deal with Phoenix or be forced to keep him. Those 8 team clauses are entirely so the Player can choose 1 or 2 teams out of the 8 that they actually want to go to.

So they did have other choices and weren't forced. I see.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I am not sure he's an nhl player anymore.

That's funny. He certainly doesn't fit the Pens Style but he's on Pace for 40 points. Is Brassard an NHL player? Because he looked awful with us.

Chucky will get traded for something decent not great. He will probably rebound to look halfway decent and ppl will post about 'Galchenyuk has come to burn down your village'

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
in b4 the in b4 guy who says "in b4 he goes to the khl" to say "in b4 he is american".

His game and name are both suited for the KHL tho :laugh:

Also Galchenyuk only lived in the US until he was 4 and didn't move back to the US until he was 15. He lived all over Europe traveling with his Dad who played in various European leagues. Thats why Chucky can speak a million different languages. He's a pretty book smart kinda guy. Its impressive.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am not sure he's an nhl player anymore.

That is uh... massively jumping to conclusions with zero evidence.

He’s put up 56, 44, 51, and 41 points the last four seasons.

He is in a slump and doesn’t play Sullivan’s style of hockey, so it’s not likely going to get much better for him in Pgh.

I get why he frustrates coaches, but a guy who has consistently hovered around 20 goal and 40+ points a season can most definitely play in the NHL.

His value certainly isn’t very high, but saying he’s no longer an NHL player is quite silly.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
That's funny. He certainly doesn't fit the Pens Style but he's on Pace for 40 points. Is Brassard an NHL player? Because he looked awful with us.

Chucky will get traded for something decent not great. He will probably rebound to look halfway decent and ppl will post about 'Galchenyuk has come to burn down your village'

Not to be picky, but he's on pace for 37 points now. This would be his lowest "pace" since he's been in the NHL. This can obviously change quickly with a multi point game.

I think some team will take a chance on him for a one year contract next year, but I have a feeling that he's running out of chances. He's a frustrating player to watch, as you can see the talent, but because he can't think the game very well at this level, he will never reach his full potential.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Not to be picky, but he's on pace for 37 points now. This would be his lowest "pace" since he's been in the NHL. I think some team will take a chance on him for a one year contract next year, but I have a feeling that he's running out of chances. He's a frustrating player to watch, as you can see the talent, but because he can't think the game very well at this level, he will never reach his full potential.

Ok so the last game or two knocked him off pace...a two point game points him over again haha.

In his defense, Sullivan is putting him on L4 with AHL guys and playing him 10 minutes a night...so there's the reason for a drop. If he was being force fed more minutes he'd have more points but wouldn't be helping the team much with his play.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
a conditional 2nd round pick (if he re-signs) or an equally off-set player.

Maybe edmonton offers poolparty for him

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Ok so the last game or two knocked him off pace...a two point game points him over again haha.

In his defense, Sullivan is putting him on L4 with AHL guys and playing him 10 minutes a night...so there's the reason for a drop. If he was being force fed more minutes he'd have more points but wouldn't be helping the team much with his play.

That's why I said this can change quickly....regardless though, the fact is that at the moment it's still his lowest point average since he's been in the NHL. That's the problem with Galchenyuk though, unlike most other talented players, he's borderline useless when he's not getting prime offensive zone starts and PP time. If he couldn't turn his game around in Arizona or in Pittsburgh, why would a team think he can turn back into an offensive dynamo with them? I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's getting harder to believe it will.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad