Sportsnet: Galchenyuk on the trade block when Penguins are healthy

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think he falls in that Sam Gagner category where he’s really borderline top 6 and relies heavily on the PP to produce, but most teams have a few lefties capable of running the half boards. And absolutely not cut out for bottom 6.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
31 Thoughts: Jim Montgomery firing hockey's latest bombshell - Sportsnet.ca

upload_2019-12-11_9-24-37.png

Reactions: topshelf15

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
That is uh... massively jumping to conclusions with zero evidence.

He’s put up 56, 44, 51, and 41 points the last four seasons.

He is in a slump and doesn’t play Sullivan’s style of hockey, so it’s not likely going to get much better for him in Pgh.

I get why he frustrates coaches, but a guy who has consistently hovered around 20 goal and 40+ points a season can most definitely play in the NHL.

His value certainly isn’t very high, but saying he’s no longer an NHL player is quite silly.

Actually I've watched him since he came into the nhl and I came to this conclusion a while ago, before he came to the pens. He's one of the worst defensive players in the league and that's what is tipping the balance as far as I am concerned.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Actually I've watched him since he came into the nhl and I came to this conclusion a while ago, before he came to the pens. He's one of the worst defensive players in the league and that's what is tipping the balance as far as I am concerned.

He is lazy and has no idea what to do when other team has the puck. He likes to glide on the backcheck. His defensive liability is not overcome by his offensive output. He is exactly what we saw in MTL, maybe even regressed.

He will be in the K soon.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
He’s just not a good fit for Sully’s system. He’s an east/west guy playing in Sully’s north/south system. The skill is there but he’s always roaming from the wing back to the center of the ice instead of doing what Sully wants his wingers to do and get pressure on the puck. Reminds me of when we had Iginla. Can see the talent but he just doesn’t fit. Maybe if they moved him to center and tried him there but as a winger here it’s no bueno.

He's pretty much always done that. There's not playing a 200ft game and then there's playing only a 60ft game. Instead of building heart in MTL, I think he lost what little he had to begin with. Yeah, he's skilled but the drive and the effort? They're rarely there.

I think he has one last chance at a kick in the ass to get his career going or it's bottom-six play until he leaves for Europe. He absolutely does not have what it takes for bottom-six duty.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Core issue with AG is, and has always been, his skating. He needs some serious off season time on the ice, with a professional.

He also needs to come into camp in shape. Why walk around at 210-215 if you aren’t going to play physical... he should be playing at 190-195. He has basically one burst up or down the ice per shift. His defensive lapses are a function of his conditioning, the guy can’t play more then 30 seconds.

If he ever commits to being a pro and spends a summer grinding into shape and working on his skating he is a solid 20/25 guy. I really though he would do that this off season with an expiring contract and an opp to play with Malkin or Crosby. But since it hasn’t clicked yet, I doubt it ever does.

Reactions: enviSAGE

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
I'd have to consider Poulin+Joseph+1st for Gallagher, but only because I don't know for sure how long the primes of 87&71 will last for. Geno will be at least 35 by the time Poulin will most likely be ready at his earliest.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I can’t really refute that he’s poor defensively, but until he struggles for a couple seasons to produce, he will continue to be an NHL player as teams are always desperate for scoring.

Nothing about his game will keep him in the NHL if he stops producing at a 20/40 type pace.

That I think we can agree upon.

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
Botts coming from Pitt and Buffalo needing wingers it would seem like a natural fit. Got to think Botts decided against it.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I'd have to consider Poulin+Joseph+1st for Gallagher, but only because I don't know for sure how long the primes of 87&71 will last for. Geno will be at least 35 by the time Poulin will most likely be ready at his earliest.

Stop. That is utterly ridiculous for Pittsburgh. Stop giving up the future just to win another title. It's not like we haven't won one in two decades. We will be an AHL team at this rate when those two are gone if you keep trading like this.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
love Gilardi but Kings won't offer that. Tiffoli may be a player who can be a decent RW with some size and offensive skills.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009

What did I just read?!?!?!?

And...

Toffoli sucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad