Player Discussion Galchenyuk - Banished to Siberia Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
A coach not throwing a player under the bus doesn’t mean he’s praising him. I don’t think I’ve heard Clode praise Max once this season.

Anyway, I know this has somehow turned into a Max vs Chucky thing but this is the Galchenyuk thread. I don’t know why people keep bringing up Casper here.

What? 3 days ago he just praised Pacioretty. Saying he does a lot of great things on the ice.. which is ridiculous because Pacioretty is freaking invisible on the ice lately. Even our 4th line players looked better than him recently.

Julien ne s'inquiète pas au sujet de Pacioretty

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
What? 3 days ago he just praised Pacioretty. Saying he does a lot of great things on the ice.. which is ridiculous because Pacioretty is freaking invisible on the ice lately. Even our 4th line players looked better than him recently.

Julien ne s'inquiète pas au sujet de Pacioretty

Pacioretty also said last week in his own words that he felt he was playing well and competing out there despite some in the media getting on him for his lack of compete and not being engaged in the play. I can't even begin to imagine the reaction if Galchenyuk had come out and said the same. He would've been crucified, buried, dug up, crucified again and buried a second time.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As a Habs fan I am ready to see him traded. Tired of his underachieving efforts. Three years from now I can Hudon considered the best Hab from the 2012 draft.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
As a Habs fan I am ready to see him traded. Tired of his underachieving efforts. Three years from now I can Hudon considered the best Hab from the 2012 draft.

My only problem with the underachieving part is that he was a much better center than Drouin has been (was at a ppg clip) and scored 30 goals when they played him offensively in a regular defined role.

I really think if he gets a fresh start, he'll blossom.

Reactions: sheed36

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
My only problem with the underachieving part is that he was a much better center than Drouin has been (was at a ppg clip) and scored 30 goals when they played him offensively in a regular defined role.

I really think if he gets a fresh start, he'll blossom.

I will never think that management did not screw him up. They have in many ways from drafting him as a center but never developing him there. They also had a tighter leash on players they don’t care for, which I think Alex G is one.

My problem is that he could have said “F these dumbass coaches, I will show them”...instead, he proves them right with lackadaisical play. He is in his 6th year. We all expected a better player at this point.

Reactions: habergeon

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

I imagine if MB could get what he considers fair value for Galchenyuk he would've already been traded by now. There was a rumored Galchenyuk to the Devils deal in the summer that MB eventually backed out of because he felt the value was too low. With Galchenyuk right now other GM's are very likely really low-balling MB trying to steal him away and if MB trades him now for a very underwhelming return and Galchenyuk succeeds elsewhere it won't look very good on him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I imagine if MB could get what he considers fair value for Galchenyuk he would've already been traded by now. There was a rumored Galchenyuk to the Devils deal in the summer that MB eventually backed out of because he felt the value was too low. With Galchenyuk right now other GM's are very likely really low-balling MB trying to steal him away and if MB trades him now for a very underwhelming return and Galchenyuk succeeds elsewhere it won't look very good on him.

Personally I want Galchenyuk to become what we all thought he could become. I would rather they trade Pacioretty, arguably the most frustrating Hab to watch in at least a decade.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I will never think that management did not screw him up. They have in many ways from drafting him as a center but never developing him there. They also had a tighter leash on players they don’t care for, which I think Alex G is one.

My problem is that he could have said “F these dumbass coaches, I will show them”...instead, he proves them right with lackadaisical play. He is in his 6th year. We all expected a better player at this point.

He scored 30 goals just 2 years ago and before his injury last season he was in the top 10-15 in NHL scoring so he was showing them then. He was playing center when he was playing well and producing offense then but after coming back from his injury and struggling to find his game he was moved back to wing and demoted to the 4th line for stretches.

Galchenyuk will probably admit he needs to be better but the Habs haven't really put him in a position to succeed but when they did moving him to center he produced and was playing very well offensively. Problem is Habs brass don't trust his game defensively and because of that they won't let him do what he does best and that is produce offense from the center position where he looked the most comfortable.

Reactions: Oryxo

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
This is what baffles me with Bergevin. He wants to trade the kid for a decent return but does everything possible to bring his value down.

Even if you hate Galchenyuk for whatever reason and want to trade him, isn't it smart asset management and your best strategy to put him in the best position to succeed and perform in order to get what you want?

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
This is what baffles me with Bergevin. He wants to trade the kid for a decent return but does everything possible to bring his value down.

Even if you hate Galchenyuk for whatever reason and want to trade him, isn't it smart asset management and your best strategy to put him in the best position to succeed and perform in order to get what you want?

Not only that but if he did find his game it would only benefit his own team and you then wouldn't have to trade the guy if you didn't want to. I don't think I've ever shook and scratched my head as much about how the Habs have misused a player as I have with Galchenyuk. It's been beyond frustrating watching all this unfold with Galchenyuk since he's been a Hab.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

Show them from the 4th line? From the left wing? From the right wing? From the bench with less than 10 minutes of ice time? With no pp time?

The kid is playing a constant game of chutes and ladders, step on the wrong spot and down he goes. Bouncing between lines, line mates, the bench and both wing positions. Basically every forward position/combination possible except the one position he showed the most success at, center! I'm surprised they haven't tried him at defense or in goal yet just to make absolutely sure the message is received, but I guess plenty of time in the season, just might happen.

Reactions: Peanut

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
So I'm going to go out on a limb and put you in the "Anti Galchenyuk" camp. :D

That's just it: no!

I would love for him to be a great player and hab for life, I'm just personally no longer making excuses when he just isn't playing well on a consistent basis. It's up to him to win puck battles not the coaches.

Saying that he is being treated unfairly is one thing, but making excuses for a player that needs to be playing better is another.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal

Bergevin can't look past his ego

That's the real problem

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
McGuire said on either his Thursday or Friday TSN690 segment with Melnick that if the Habs trade Galchenyuk it will turn into another McDonagh. I don't know if I'd go that far but trading him right now with his value likely very low would be a big mistake and very poor asset management IMO.
the problem is he's not doing much here. He signed for only 3 years which to me means he's on his way out when it expires. I think the habs are hoping he performs well so they can get value when they trade him. I don't think he will get another contract here.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
the problem is he's not doing much here. He signed for only 3 years which to me means he's on his way out when it expires. I think the habs are hoping he performs well so they can get value when they trade him. I don't think he will get another contract here.
Watch him leave for nothing as an unrestricted free agent

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
That's just it: no!

I would love for him to be a great player and hab for life, I'm just personally no longer making excuses when he just isn't playing well on a consistent basis. It's up to him to win puck battles not the coaches.

Saying that he is being treated unfairly is one thing, but making excuses for a player that needs to be playing better is another.

I get where you are coming from. And I agree he needs to play better and more consistent but I don't get how folks can quit on this guy.

If you want better production, you are just going to have to live with the warts.
But to do that he needs to play, I guess that's what I was getting at. But we knew we weren't drafting Patrice Bergeron when we drafted him, and he has produced.

Since 2012, G has produced at a rate of .601 ppg in the regular season over 366 games.

Patches is at .77 over the same period and 390 games, Drouin is at .592 and 190 games.

My point is he would be at much more if he got the kind of ice time consistent with that kind of production.

And remember, Galchenyuk has never been a top 6 for an extended period, and when he was he was closer to a point per game.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I firmly believe it’s coming from MB. He can’t look like an idiot. I can’t believe he hasn’t asked for a trade. I would lol

Yes, he puts his ego before the teams success and his job... Can you guys at least try and come up with some logical stuff?

And for Chucky asking for a trade, how about he acknowledges that he's not killing it out there?

It's been 2 games since Galchenyuks monster 4 point night, and he's back in the doghouse.

This is the crap I'm talking about!

Chucky gets 4 points in a one sided blowout = monster performance!The best ever!Amazing!

Pacioretty gets 4 points in a one sided blowout = Oh Casparetty padding his stats once again! Useless player that can get points only against weak opponents! But can he do it in the PO?...

Just blatant ridiculous double standards!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This is the crap I'm talking about!

Chucky gets 4 points in a one sided blowout = monster performance!The best ever!Amazing!

Pacioretty gets 4 points in a one sided blowout = Oh Casparetty padding his stats once again! Useless player that can get points only against weak opponents! But can he do it in the PO?...

Just blatant ridiculous double standards!
Detroit is an actual threat to be a wildcard team while Colorado was the worst team in the cap era. If you want to see double standards, look at your posts supporting Drouin while bashing on Galchenyuk. Still not convinced? How about when you called Markov a Habs legend, criminally underrated, a great dman, then you say Dietz is better than him because he didn't resign with us?

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Galley nailed it tonight. Two different coaches (one a Cup winner) have relegated to the 4th line or bench because of his soft & lazy work ethic. People can make all the AG excuses but its time to call him for what he is, a bust. He is probably the softest guy on the puck in the entire NHL. No heart at all.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
His goal celebration tonight says it all. Celebrates like he got the game winner, meanwhile we're down 4-1. Trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad