Player Discussion Galchenyuk - Banished to Siberia Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He's playing better lately, his confidence is trending up but the coach seems to be against rewarding his positive results.

- Scores a goal vs Florida, gets benched remaining 10 min of that period.
- Scores last night, made some very nice plays that lead to strong scoring opportunities and ended up only playing 10 minutes.

What does an offensive player of his calibre have to do to prove he should be in the top 6 with top PP ice-time? Besides being our 2nd best point producer over the last 3 years and that Pacioretty/Gallagher or even Shaw rarely have to justify their ice time. It's like they are trying as hard as possible not to get him going.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Why's everyone in a rush with him? The guy is in the lineup every night, playing well, and getting ample PP time. I imagine we will see him move up the lineup soon, but there's no rush.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Why's everyone in a rush with him? The guy is in the lineup every night, playing well, and getting ample PP time. I imagine we will see him move up the lineup soon, but there's no rush.

I can't believe someone could look at the record of this team with its implications and casually state about anything that, "there's no rush".

Mind-boggling.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He's playing better lately, his confidence is trending up but the coach seems to be against rewarding his positive results.

- Scores a goal vs Florida, gets benched remaining 10 min of that period.
- Scores last night, made some very nice plays that lead to strong scoring opportunities and ended up only playing 10 minutes.

What does an offensive player of his calibre have to do to prove he should be in the top 6 with top PP ice-time? Besides being our 2nd best point producer over the last 3 years and that Pacioretty/Gallagher or even Shaw rarely have to justify their ice time. It's like they are trying as hard as possible not to get him going.
Keep in mind there could have been penalties during some of that time and he's not on the pk unit. Im not saying thats the case but it would factor in.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Our wins have come against 3 teams that would be pressed to make the play offs. We have scored 3 or more goals in regulation 3 times, 2 of which were against these bottom teams. Against everybody else we cannot score.

Keeping a guy who despite all of this has managed to score 3 goals and who 2 seasons ago scored 30 and prior to that 20, on the 4th line, is just unbelievable to me.

Not only should he be on the top 6, he should be at centre. Let's at least try to get our scoring on track.

What is infuriating is that I can't imagine any other team in our situation not playing Chucky at centre. I mean my God the Pens are interested in him as a 3C. Stanley Cup champs, right.

The only explanation for me is that CJ is entrenched in his only 2 way centres can play centre philosophy or it is about MBs ego. Both are bad reasons .

And yes, there is a rush, a big rush

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I can't believe someone could look at the record of this team with its implications and casually state about anything that, "there's no rush".

Mind-boggling.
Aren't you pro-tank? Ironic.

For me, I'm more concerned with developing Galchenyuk, and giving him some confidence. Putting him in a no pressure situation and giving him easy minutes is a good way to do that. His development is priority #1 for me. I know some of you think Galchenyuk is an established superstar, but I think he's been rushed, and slowing things down and letting him grow slowly and steadily is best for his continued development.

Reactions: cphabs

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal

For me, I'm more concerned with developing Galchenyuk, and giving him some confidence. Putting him in a no pressure situation and giving him easy minutes is a good way to do that. His development is priority #1 for me. I know some of you think Galchenyuk is an established superstar, but I think he's been rushed, and slowing things down and letting him grow slowly and steadily is best for his continued development.
I don't 100% agree with you, but kudos for at least being level headed and analyse this from a rational point of view. He's not a superstar but he's not the horrible low IQ player some people want to us to believe he is. Truth is somewhere in between and for an offensively starved team like ours it's a little baffling that guy seems to be held to different standards than the others.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008

In my point of view, he wasn't rush, he was good to very good from the start. I think he has more problem adjusting now that he is a vet of 6 seasons . Hope he get is off ice problem out of the equation. So happy that Beaulieu was trade.

He is the player that was the more protected by the coaches since he is with us. I should have been bench plenty of time, put he always gets to quality minutes and sheltering offensive assignment. Can he be back into the 2016 version? I hope he will, cause that version was create! 2017 version is terrible...

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

I agree in part. The only way he is going to stay on this team? Good/bad or right/wrong, he is going to have to fight for air let alone ice time... Good news? The motherf***er is fighting!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Julien is no dummy. If Galchenyuk can help the Habs he will use him more. There is something we are not privy to that I am sure justifies his usage.

Patience. He is playing on the PP and is not a healthy scratch.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
He seems to be playing better lately as he's started to show some chemistry with his linemates. I liked him with Scherbak and McCarron and he's benefitted from playing with Gallagher the last two games as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing him on 3rd line with McCarron and Gallagher. The 4th line would be Hudon - Plekanec - Mitchell.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I'm pro tank assuming a scenario where we'll miss the playoffs, and that could statistically occur in short order. Pretty much every team that currently sits at the top of the league or have recently won Cups have gone through a tank or rebuild. In a cap era with a modified lottery, both designed specifically to ensure parity in the league, drafting high and drafting often for a few seasons is an absolute necessity, unless a one and out in the playoffs is your goal.

I'm not quite sure how you can characterize Galchenyuk as being rushed, when he's playing in his 6th season. Poorly developed is much more accurate. He's been given unskilled linemates and minimal 5x5 icetime at a forward position that is not his strength. He's more than proved that he's a top 6 player and it's not a leap to suggest a 1st liner.

He's been given 2nd shift PP time and rewarded this deployment by being tied for the team lead in goals. His defense and positioning are noticeably improved.

The guy who was the team's best centre for close to a 12 month stretch before injury was not even given an opportunity to compete for that position, having to watch a player with virtually no NHL experience at centre be gifted that position.

Honestly your post reads like litany of excuses to justify a very poorly imagined roster with a throwback strategy to another era, and the coronation of another player who hasn't yet performed at centre anywhere close to what Galchenyuk accomplished at the very same position.

brianp1950

Sep 28, 2017
He seems to be playing better lately as he's started to show some chemistry with his linemates. I liked him with Scherbak and McCarron and he's benefitted from playing with Gallagher the last two games as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing him on 3rd line with McCarron and Gallagher. The 4th line would be Hudon - Plekanec - Mitchell.
that is where Plecanec needs to be, other than skating like the wind he is doing nothing. Terrible on faceoffs last night and scores in his own net. He should go to the other teams net with the same vigor he goes to his own.

Reactions: dralaf

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Those goals he scored were all Gallagher.

So quick to not give him any credit.

Galchenyuk can do no right, you sure you don't work for Habs management? :sarcasm:

Seriously I've seen posts from you saying multiple players are working hard but not getting results(like Pacioretty). How can you not see that Chucky is being given no opportunity at 5v5 and secondary PP time he is now our leading scorer. He is 7th in ice-time behind... Pacs/Drouin/Danault/Plekanec/Shaw/Lekhonen. Among that group what has Plekanec/Shaw or even Pacioretty done to deserve that ice-time. Enough with the ridiculous double standards we have no reason to think our team is in good hands based on our results. Yet I have to give that same management the benefit of the doubt?

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So quick to not give him any credit.

Galchenyuk can do no right, you sure you don't work for Habs management? :sarcasm:
I'm trying to not give him credit?

You made a damn thread to talk about his goals that were all Gallagher and to complain once again about the injustice he goes through... He can do no wrong in your eyes that's for sure...

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

You made a damn thread to talk about his goals that were all Gallagher and to complain once again about the injustice he goes through... He can do no wrong in your eyes that's for sure...

I made a Chucky thread because the last one got closed...
I have criticized Chucky during the GDT threads when it was deserved. He has literally been given little to no opportunity and our team is last in the East. As I mentioned I am not comfortable giving our management the benefit of the doubt.

They can't build a winner, consistently make questionable trades and have a mediocre developmental success. All this yet somehow when it comes to Chucky it's the players fault?

You're the one that posted in a Chucky thread to discredit him and to attempt to deflect any of his successes.

Last edited:

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri

...checkmate i guess?

this is the new Galchenyuk thread where else should this go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad