Confirmed with Link: Gabriel Vilardi signs 3-year ELC

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
He is physically ready now (in my opinion). I’ve seen every one of his home games in person (except the one where he scored on that laser from the right circle and undressed the goalie on the shootout).

Vilardi progresses with each and every game. Wednesday night was the most convincing game for me. Not only did he return after taking a hard hit on the boards behinds the goal line, but he dished out hard hits in the corners and along the boards. I counted 5 hits by GV in that game and he wasn’t available for the last 6 minutes of the 2nd period.

The reason Racine hit him (in my opinion) was because GV was dishing out punishment to several Stockton players and Racine was giving him some payback.

When Vilardi returned in the 3rd per. he dished out his hardest hit and a good cross check to boot.

Kid is a stud now. He is NHL ready now (again in my opinion).

Thanks for the insight! It's very very encouraging given that some here had already written him off.
Although I can't wait for him to join the Kings, I'll keep him on the Reign for now and like you said give GV a chance to fully round out his game this year and gain confidence in his physical condition. If he finishes the year pain-free with no prognosis of what derailed his career - I think he'll have an awesome rookie year in 20-21.

Reactions: RossLonsberryFan
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Vilardi’s vision, puck handling skills, back checking skills and passing skills are elite level (in my opinion). He is ready to play 2C for the Kings right now. He is what is missing for so many forwards that we regularly complain about their lack of production, A center who is a highly skilled playmaker that makes players around him better. The Magic Johnson of hockey.
I remember when somebody was called the Michael Jordan of hockey.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Also got matching double minors for roughing at the end of period 2. Definitely seems to have some edge to his game, not sure if that is energy/angst after having to sit for so long, but is interesting none the less.

Be interesting if he plays tomorrow. I hope he doesn't, but will be interesting how long until the Kings start taking off some of the restrictions. (or if there are any others we don't know about)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
I'm really hoping he is at a place physically where he can play the last 5 games of the season with the big club. That would give him an idea of what kind of work he needs to do in the offseason to prepare for (hopefully) the start of his career in the NHL next year.

I still can't believe he is actually playing. We can finally start to entertain the idea of a Vilardi-Turcotte 1-2 punch at center in 5 years.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
Also got matching double minors for roughing at the end of period 2. Definitely seems to have some edge to his game, not sure if that is energy/angst after having to sit for so long, but is interesting none the less.

Be interesting if he plays tomorrow. I hope he doesn't, but will be interesting how long until the Kings start taking off some of the restrictions. (or if there are any others we don't know about)

There are no more restrictions on GV. He is unleashed, going into corners and hitting along the boards.

The kid is TOUGH.

Tonight 31 year old veteran defenseman Matt Bartkowski threw a cheap check along the left boards on Vilardi right at the time the horn ending the 2nd period sounded. Vilardi was incensed and stood up to him and started fighting. When they both went down on the ice with Bartkowski on top, Bartkowski continued hitting GV like a chickensh*t p***y. Martin Frk stood up for GV and Boko Imama took revenge in the 3rd period. The Reign players skated out to center ice instead of leaving and were led by Chaz Redekopp who along with Imama jawed and chirped with Iowa Wild players while the referees stepped in. Vilardi and Bartkowski were both assessed double minors and didn’t get out of the box till the 5th minute of the 3rd period.

The kid is the real deal. Obviously the most talented player on the ice each night for the past two weeks. He was challenged in the faceoff circle tonight because the Wild have a skilled veteran in Gabriel Dumont who though undersized, is a very tough and skilled player himself.

Tomorrow should be quite a grudge match when the two teams faceoff again at 3PM.

Matt Bartkowski at eliteprospects.com

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
I'm really hoping he is at a place physically where he can play the last 5 games of the season with the big club. That would give him an idea of what kind of work he needs to do in the offseason to prepare for (hopefully) the start of his career in the NHL next year.

I still can't believe he is actually playing. We can finally start to entertain the idea of a Vilardi-Turcotte 1-2 punch at center in 5 years.

The Kings should call him up ASAP in my opinion. He’s NHL ready right now. The most NHL ready prospect in their system. And it’s only taken him 8 games to find his groove.

Reactions: ibleedkings

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
The Kings should call him up ASAP in my opinion. He’s NHL ready right now. The most NHL ready prospect in their system. And it’s only taken him 8 games to find his groove.

I do too but only if he's put in the second line center position. If he's called up and plays 3rd or 4th line duties or with Lewis, Clifford, etc, just keep him down playing big minutes.

I understand paying your dues on the big club, but I don't think you mess around with Gabe and make him grind it out with little minutes. He's the most talented prospect we've had since Kopitar.

Reactions: RossLonsberryFan

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
I do too but only if he's put in the second line center position. If he's called up and plays 3rd or 4th line duties or with Lewis, Clifford, etc, just keep him down playing big minutes.

I understand paying your dues on the big club, but I don't think you mess around with Gabe and make him grind it out with little minutes. He's the most talented prospect we've had since Kopitar.

Absolutely at 2C. You won’t get the full benefit of his abilities if you don’t flank him with wingers who can put the biscuit in the basket.

Reactions: ibleedkings
Jul 31, 2005
CA
since when do the Kings have any of those? :) Glad he’s killing it down there. Can’t wait to see what he can do with the Kings, weather it’s later this year or next.

Yah, that's reason enough to leave him down in Ontario. Too early, IMO. The Kings have been incredibly patient with a top prospect for the first time in their history and it looks like it's paying off. Calling him up to a bad team where the goal is to lose and pairing him with players like Luff, etc. and playing behind Kopitar probably isn't best for his development. Now with Vilardi progressing and Turcotte in the fold is it time to look to start shopping Kopitar who could bring a nice return along with hopefully a top 3 pick at the draft?

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Goal and assist tonight. 8 points in 8 games.
What he is doing after playing only 4 games in a year and a half as a 20 year old playing in his first pro season is remarkable. Still only 8 games but he looks the part and you can see why BLuc thought he could play in the NHL last year. Never imagined he could be this productive this early in his comeback. Getting more and more excited about him after each game.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I want him to own Ontario this year and lead them into the playoffs. No shipping back and forth. Just raw dominate big minutes against seasoned pros. Maybe a cup of coffee skating with the big boys in practice so Kopitar and Carter especially can rub off on him, but the way this guy makes teams his own is just amazing. If he comes up to just be a spare part on a shit team that's no good. Let him make his way back, build confidence, continue dominating and building his conditioning and pro skillset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad