Confirmed with Link: Gabriel Vilardi signs 3-year ELC

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I mean, your initial post amounted to you telling everyone you don't think Vilardi will work out and the best case scenario for us is attempting to swindle some other team into taking Vilardi off of our hands.

What is your reasoning for believing he will "break" again? What would you trade him for?

I believe that for a rebuilding team it's better to have less risk in it's top end prospect pool. If he can reshine his star I'd rather trade him to a team that can afford the risk or a team more willing to absorb the risk than I am.

In regards to who I'd trade him for, it obviously wouldn't be a trade just to make a trade. He'd be part of a high end pick or prospect trade. Kings first rounder (likely top 5) and Gabe for the number one overall pick would be an example.

Back problems and sports don't mix.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I believe that for a rebuilding team it's better to have less risk in it's top end prospect pool. If he can reshine his star I'd rather trade him to a team that can afford the risk or a team more willing to absorb the risk than I am.

In regards to who I'd trade him for, it obviously wouldn't be a trade just to make a trade. He'd be part of a high end pick or prospect trade. Kings first rounder (likely top 5) and Gabe for the number one overall pick would be an example.

So a team taking the first overall can both drop and afford the risk?

Vilardi is worth a whole hell of a lot more to the Kings than he could ever fetch in a trade.

Reactions: ibleedkings

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019

Tell that to Mario Lemieux...

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

I think a rebuilding team should be in the business of finding and keeping high risk, high reward prospects. Consider this, would you rather the Kings have a guy with a 50% chance of being a number 1 center or a guy who is guaranteed to be an NHLer, but only as a bottom 6 forward? I think a rebuilding team should be looking at the guy with the higher ceiling rather than the higher floor and the return in a trade of Vilardi would undoubtedly be a prospect/player that fits the mold of the latter.

Reactions: PuckerUpDude

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Depends on the problem. IF it’s spondylosis (which seems to fit well) then once it’s fixed, it’s fixed. It’s not something that reoccurs.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

Virtually all top prospects are risks because they're 18-22 year old kids who are impossible to project moving forward. Further, the Kings were just this summer/fall viewed as having one of the top 2 to 4 prospect pools in the NHL, and that was with Vilardi seen as a huge question mark. By your own logic, the Kings are a team that can afford a "risk" like Vilardi in the prospect pool because they already have a top pool with him marginalized.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Calling it right now. Vilardi and Kaliyev become one of the most productive twosomes the Kings have ever seen. Now we just need to find a 3rd liner to play with them.

I think Samuel Fagemo is underrated, good skater and good goal scorer. Glad he's signed. If the Kings are selecting in the 5-10 range this draft, wingers like Perfetti, Holtz, Lundell could be available. Just MAYBE Shafigullan can come here as well. Kupari could also play wing.

Last edited:

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I appreciate all of that and respect each stance. I'm sure teams have their own risk and value charts. Again, I'll stand firm in saying that i would use his health and trade him to a team that has the same views as yours. Add him to a first rounder and maximize the chance of success.

Back injuries don't just cause back problems. They lead to injuries everywhere. The core is everything. Also, pain causes overcompensating which leads to other injuries.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I appreciate all of that and respect each stance. I'm sure teams have their own risk and value charts. Again, I'll stand firm in saying that i would use his health and trade him to a team that has the same views as yours. Add him to a first rounder and maximize the chance of success.

Back injuries don't just cause back problems. They lead to injuries everywhere. The core is everything. Also, pain causes overcompensating which leads to other injuries.

But the underlying concern you have over his back, which may or may not be valid (you still ignore the point about us not knowing his diagnosis) would most likely affect his trade value.

If we were to shop GV it would most certainly cause alarm bells to ring with other GM’s and ensures we’d never get proper value for him. He’d be the most talented piece of any deal by some distance, which means over time it would never be a good decision. At this point trying to move him would be idiocy, we just need to let it play out.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Every prospect no matter how highly rated is a gamble. From Alex Daigle 1 st overall, Pat Falloon and Scott Scissons 2nd overall, to numerous other top end picks nothing is ever guaranteed.

We have a couple high end prospects in Vilardi and Turcotte that look like winners but nothing is set in stone. Turcotte may not have the hands and Vilardi's back may blow up or possible Vilardi becomes a 100 point centre and Turcotte's back may blow up. Heck both may bust and a guy like Dudas may pan out to be our best. We just can't forsee the future.

The reason I say this is every prospect has red flags that won't be answered until a couple of years into their NHL career. I am not going to give up on a guy with the skill level and size of Vilardi due to the fact he had an injury setback. I still knowing the risks take the gamble on the high skill, high upside players even if there is a risk. There is still a higher chance of a guy like Vilardi, or other top end guys like Turcotte making the NHL with a few set backs then lesser talented guys like Dudas, Fagemo, Akil-Thomas or even Kupari with no set backs.

Our prospect pool right now is in the position that we are allowed to take a few risks. Last draft was a perfect model on how we can draft taking solid high probability picks in Turcotte and Bigfoot then gambling on some snipers in Kaliyev and Fagemo followed by chances on an undersized point man and a later round goalie.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Bump!!!

Anyone getting worried about Vilardi? The Reign are really sucking and Gabe seems to be slumping points wise. I'm wondering if he gets the call up after the trade deadline?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
EVERYONE on the Reign is struggling, nearly 0 bright spots. Maybe Frk, some games of Strand. Everyone else has stuff to work on. Bummer Vilardi's part of that, but he was +/-0 when we got blown out, so at least he's not a liability? lol. They REALLY need more veteran leadership next year and some stability. It's a young team with a ton of first year pros and they're just getting absolutely crushed, which is no good for anyone.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
EVERYONE on the Reign is struggling, nearly 0 bright spots. Maybe Frk, some games of Strand. Everyone else has stuff to work on. Bummer Vilardi's part of that, but he was +/-0 when we got blown out, so at least he's not a liability? lol. They REALLY need more veteran leadership next year and some stability. It's a young team with a ton of first year pros and they're just getting absolutely crushed, which is no good for anyone.
Agreed. I’ve watched a little of the Reign action and Vilardi looked ok. He’s was making plays, looked a threat and positionally I think he’s improved. Even though there are things he needs to work on with better finishing he’d have had several assists based on what I’d seen. If those chances go in things look better... if. The slump the Reign are in obviously doesn’t help, but between injuries and call ups they were alway going to struggle.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Agreed. I’ve watched a little of the Reign action and Vilardi looked ok. He’s was making plays, looked a threat and positionally I think he’s improved. Even though there are things he needs to work on with better finishing he’d have had several assists based on what I’d seen. If those chances go in things look better... if. The slump the Reign are in obviously doesn’t help, but between injuries and call ups they were alway going to struggle.
I’m still viewing him as getting into game shape..
first 2-3 weeks are like hell week after a long layoff, weeks 4-8 is when instinct, timing and IQ/processing begin to become routine, weeks 10+ give a better indication of were a prospect returning from injury like Vilardi stand..
So far, his progress has been much better than expected and he’s definitely trending upwards.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
With as much time as he’s missed it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Vilardi take 40-50 games to regain his conditioning and timing.
Completely agree. I personally think he’s hitting the first “wall” as far as conditioning goes. The grind becomes an issue when players come back from long term problems, and normally coincides with scoring slumps for forwards. Considering how many injuries he’s had, including his draft year, he’s done better than I thought with it. He will regroup and go again as the one thing he has in spades is character.

Reactions: funky

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
With how much time Vilardi has missed, I’m not willing to make any definitive judgments about his current development until he’s played a full year or close to it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If you call him up he takes a beating from bigger, stronger players and still loses games. Leave him down until he EARNS a spot by dominating where he's at.

Thank You!

I feel like this board has done a 180 the last few years in regard to this, feel like 4-5 years ago when Forbort was in year 5 of the slowest top 15 development ever I was the one saying we need younger better guys to come up quicker as it's a younger league while others talked about patience. Now it seems that everyone wants these guys to get to the Kings or Reign as quick as possible, development be damned. People want a guy who has missed a ton of games the last few years to come up to a disaster situation with the Kings before he has really earned it, let the guy become a player at that level. Same thing with Turcotte, people want a kid who just graduated HS last year to be riding busses as a 19 year old kid in the minor leagues and trying to play his sandpaper style against bigger and seasoned pros when he is probably nowhere close to 200 pounds and hasn't dominated at his current level. Kaliyev too, great offensive player but he has some work to do playing a more complete game and getting ready for pros. Having him playing on a terrible Kings team next season is not going to do much for his growth and development as a player.

I understand the Kings have been a disaster for most of the last 5-6 years and we really haven't graduated many high end prospects and people want something to be excited about but lets have some patience.

Vilardi, JAD and Bjornfoot compete next season
Turcotte, Kaliyev,#1 pick this year (unless we win lottery), Fagemo, Kupari compete in camp in September 2021

Slow and steady guys, you are going to ruin these kids if you put them in situations they aren't ready for. Let them dominate at their current level.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Thank You!

I feel like this board has done a 180 the last few years in regard to this, feel like 4-5 years ago when Forbort was in year 5 of the slowest top 15 development ever I was the one saying we need younger better guys to come up quicker as it's a younger league while others talked about patience. Now it seems that everyone wants these guys to get to the Kings or Reign as quick as possible, development be damned. People want a guy who has missed a ton of games the last few years to come up to a disaster situation with the Kings before he has really earned it, let the guy become a player at that level. Same thing with Turcotte, people want a kid who just graduated HS last year to be riding busses as a 19 year old kid in the minor leagues and trying to play his sandpaper style against bigger and seasoned pros when he is probably nowhere close to 200 pounds and hasn't dominated at his current level. Kaliyev too, great offensive player but he has some work to do playing a more complete game and getting ready for pros. Having him playing on a terrible Kings team next season is not going to do much for his growth and development as a player.

I understand the Kings have been a disaster for most of the last 5-6 years and we really haven't graduated many high end prospects and people want something to be excited about but lets have some patience.

Vilardi, JAD and Bjornfoot compete next season
Turcotte, Kaliyev,#1 pick this year (unless we win lottery), Fagemo, Kupari compete in camp in September 2021

Slow and steady guys, you are going to ruin these kids if you put them in situations they aren't ready for. Let them dominate at their current level.

Definitely. Our prospects need to be ready to step into the league. I also liked McLellan saying that the team needed to be ready for these kids. What’s the point of calling the young guys up if the system is just a clusterf*** of veterans that won’t buy in? That’s why Kovalchuk was let go.

I like the idea of calling guys up throughout next season to get some playing time and to ease some of the nerves, though. Guys like Vilardi, Kupari, Anderson, and Bjornfot should all see five games or so with LA. I do think Grundstrom is ready to contribute next year, though.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I still think the kings should call him up at the end of the year for 5-6 games so he can see the pace of the NHL before beginning off season training.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad