KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Good lord, the way he handles that pass
01bd948489155db5d72a2bbf02749b2f.jpg

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
An ECHL goon playing on a PTO took a cheap shot on the future of the Kings franchise. Time to recall Vilardi to the NHL now!

Chruceg

Aug 12, 2008
Near Philadelphia,PA
I think it's clear to all of us that Vilardi is playing well in the A. I absolutely think he needs AT LEAST a few more weeks before he gets called up even if he is kicking the door down. With that said, at what point do we think he would HAVE to be brought up? For example, in a month if he is putting up 2 points per game he is getting nothing out of the A. Does LA keep him down all year just to build his strength? Where is the tipping point?

Personally, I think by January 31st if he is playing every game and scoring at roughly 1.5 PPG he has to be called up. I can absolutely see arguments for the opposite though.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Kings man 4 life

Jul 2, 2008
I think it's clear to all of us that Vilardi is playing well in the A. I absolutely think he needs AT LEAST a few more weeks before he gets called up even if he is kicking the door down. With that said, at what point do we think he would HAVE to be brought up? For example, in a month if he is putting up 2 points per game he is getting nothing out of the A. Does LA keep him down all year just to build his strength? Where is the tipping point?

Easy he needs to build up strength and continue to be monitored, also he might screw up a chance of a better pick. Lame reasons but valid ones. Reign have a good roster let um try for a Calder Cup.
Personally, I think by January 31st if he is playing every game and scoring at roughly 1.5 PPG he has to be called up. I can absolutely see arguments for the opposite though.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

My argument for the opposite is I want him playing big minutes and building and developing. He might not have much to 'learn' in the A, but being dominant and healthy all year for a 3/4 pro season is still a stepping stone.

Kind of like Turcotte, it's clear he CAN play right now. Since he has the ability to shuttle back and forth I'd love him to get 5-10 games, but not more than that unless he's going to be playing top-6 minutes.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
My argument for the opposite is I want him playing big minutes and building and developing. He might not have much to 'learn' in the A, but being dominant and healthy all year for a 3/4 pro season is still a stepping stone.

Kind of like Turcotte, it's clear he CAN play right now. Since he has the ability to shuttle back and forth I'd love him to get 5-10 games, but not more than that unless he's going to be playing top-6 minutes.

I would be happy if both Gabe and Alex get 6-8 games at the end of the season and then blitz the AHL playoffs, win the Calder Cup and get ready to help us next season... along with LaFreniere/Byfield:sarcasm:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Still want him to stay in the AHL and play a handful of games at the end of the year so he can better align his off season training with the speed of the NHL.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Its hard to say because the reasons we're cautious with Gabe don't necessarily tie to offensive output. We don't know how his back is going to be holding up after two months of games, how much pain he's playing through, whether recovery time has improved/worsened etc. And then there's also a question of how well he's keeping up on the other side of the ice. The points are encouraging, but it'll be hard for us on the outside to know when he's ready.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I would be happy if both Gabe and Alex get 6-8 games at the end of the season and then blitz the AHL playoffs, win the Calder Cup and get ready to help us next season... along with LaFreniere/Byfield:sarcasm:

Gotta make the playoffs first. There's two good teams in the division (Tucson and Stockton) and the other 5 are pretty even. Only 2 of those 5 will make it to the playoffs.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It will not hurt his development whatsoever to keep him in the AHL for nearly the entire season. Now, if he keeps up this current pace or better for a sustained amount of time, maybe it makes sense to bring him up but keeping up this current pace would be extremely impressive.

That being said, it isn't all about points in the AHL and he will still be learning a ton down there. Like, the Kings don't need to bring up Frk even though he's putting up good numbers. We want to see the numbers but there is more than just offense to learn before hitting the NHL.

Reactions: YP44

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I agree in principal here, although he has to 'learn' to compete on every play on both sides, more of a conditioning and mindset issue, plus he's still getting caught a bit by the speed of the game from time to time. He was behind the play a couple times again last night and was fortunate they didn't score. He's also has got away with a few hooking penalties since his return when his feet aren't moving. Blake was at the game last night (sat right behind me in the GM box) along with Stoll, O'Donnell and Murray. So Blake got a good look last night on how he's progressing. Playing big minutes down here through February at least will be a very good thing. I do think they will want to get a look at him in the NHL so they can gauge where he is at while they are constructing the roster for next season.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Gotta make the playoffs first. There's two good teams in the division (Tucson and Stockton) and the other 5 are pretty even. Only 2 of those 5 will make it to the playoffs.
After an extended viewing think both Wagner and Luff need more seasoning in Onatrio so maybe they get sent down and help the playoff push

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
An ECHL goon playing on a PTO took a cheap shot on the future of the Kings franchise. Time to recall Vilardi to the NHL now!

It's only going to get worse. The fine/suspension system is a bit of a joke. He is going to take much worse punishment in the NHL. He may as well prove that he can withstand it in the minors before bumping him up, and stunting his growth by rushing... If he can't take a minor league goon coming after him, he won't survive the fierce cheapshot artists of the NHL, and is not the future of the franchise.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
It's only going to get worse. The fine/suspension system is a bit of a joke. He is going to take much worse punishment in the NHL. He may as well prove that he can withstand it in the minors before bumping him up, and stunting his growth by rushing... If he can't take a minor league goon coming after him, he won't survive the fierce cheapshot artists of the NHL, and is not the future of the franchise.

You honestly think the NHL is dirtier than the AHL? The goons in the AHL are the relics of the NHL from a decade ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad