Post-Game Talk: G5: Sabres @ Russian-less Caps | 1/22/21 | 7p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Caps have been trading picks for players for years. So it’s not like this is a fair comparison if you want to look at only recent years

Oshie, Eller, Dillon, and Jensen are all regulars acquired w recent draft picks. They are all part of the “bones” of the team.

all these draft picks arguments are very one sided, from all of you.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Caps have been trading picks for players for years. So it’s not like this is a fair comparison if you want to look at only recent years

Oshie, Eller, Dillon, and Jensen are all regulars acquired w recent draft picks. They are all part of the “bones” of the team.

all these draft picks arguments are very one sided, from all of you.

but that’s a different point. Draft-wise.....youth, farm system....I agree more with Melkor.

you have to be able to analyze it all and not discount any of it IMO.

the greater point stand IMO, we need to hit on more than first rounders to stave off a long or painful rebuild.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
but that’s a different point. Draft-wise.....youth, farm system....I agree more with Melkor.

the greater point stand IMO, we need to hit on more than first rounders to stave off a long or painful rebuild.
So look at the past 4 yrs picks and tell me what you see.

Caps have failed?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Suggesting that the team is miserable at drafting after the 1st round when they are choosing half as often as the average team, is a fair point. IMO. I think the regularity with which the Caps overperform their late in the first round positioning proves they can draft. Not scoring much 2nd round success when there are few attempts in the 2nd round might be a management issue but not a draft quality issue.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Suggesting that the team is miserable at drafting after the 1st round when they are choosing half as often as the average team, is a fair point. IMO. I think the regularity with which the Caps overperform their late in the first round positioning proves they can draft. Not scoring much 2nd round success when there are few attempts in the 2nd round might be a management issue but not a draft quality issue.

but the numbers don’t say that I don’t think....just guessing. But hey if they’ve traded 50% of their draft picks the past 5-6 years, point taken.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I see. So Holtby, Orlov, Stephenson, Djoos, Grubauer, Vanacek, Siegenthaler, Sanford weren’t all post round 1 players? To name a few?

And if you mean past 5-6 years than those kids are 22-23 now. Find me a team that has multiple post 1st rounders playing now?

Or else this is you just liking to talk.
Lmao at Djoos.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Since 2015 we have had 30 draft picks and only two have contributed and they haven’t contributed much yet (Samsonov and Siegenthaler). I haven’t looked at every other team but that doesn’t seem great to me.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
TBD, looking better, but again why shifting the goal posts?

Drafted the last 5-6 years and contributing NOW was being discussed no?
Oh boy to call this a stretch would be an understatement. And yeah perhaps I should have worded it better. No player taken in the last 5-6 years. Anyways, Stephenson and Djoos were one year wonders for bottom lines/pairings and Holtby fell off a cliff after the cup run but I give him that run, he was on point when they needed him.

Okay. Tampa: basically the whole team outside Stamkos, Vasi and Hedman.
Dallas: Hintz, Benn, Lindell.
Carolina: Aho, Slavin, Pesce
Boston: Pasta, Mcavoy and Debrusk are the only 1st rounders.
Nashville: Arvidsson, Ekholm, Josi
STL: Kyrou, Parayko, Dunn, Binnington.

I got tired tbh. There's a lot of such teams.

They've already shifted a few times. Benn (drafted 2007), Lindell (2012), Aho technically counts I guess but he was 35th overall so not exactly the caliber of prospect being discussed here, Slavin (also 2012), Pesce (2013), I'm not going to go through the Bruins whole roster but you can tell me how many of those players were late-round draft picks in the last 5-6 years. Even the guys I spot picked as notable, somewhat productive, and young were mostly 1st round picks or outside the window with the exception of... I think Carlo and Bjork. By the time you get to Grzelcyk (2012) and Kuraly (2011) you've gone too far, and their other young players (DeBrusk, McAvoy, Zboril, Ritchie, etc) are first round picks.

Arvidsson is 2014 so that's a no, Ekholm is 2009, Josi 2008, should I go on? Shit, Josi didn't even play an NHL game until 2011-12 and wasn't a 40 point serious contributor until 2013-14.

The whole premise of this is stupid and flawed. Asking to see that kind of growth and impact from a late round pick where we can already definitively call them producers requires a trajectory and potential that generally elevates their draft stock, or has a potentially weird variable at play like Jamie Benn being drafted out of the BCHL. Not saying you can't do better there, I guess, but it's hit or miss and a lot of other teams missed too, you won't win them all.

To be clear, I'm not even saying that the Capitals late round drafting has been sufficiently good, this is just a stupid way to test it. Even most of the players who make their debut halfway into this 6 year window are mostly second round picks, and all of them come on (at the time) bubble playoff/retooling teams. The Capitals aren't in a position to play this loaded dice game for a number of reasons (trading picks, deeper roster and significant playoff threat) and when you hit on as many 1st rounders as the Capitals do (play that game with Dallas, Boston, and St. Louis) you make it even harder.

wow, that got away from me.
TL;DR: this game is bullshit in a 6 year window and even half of the impact examples up there don't fit that mold.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’m not convinced that a few of these posters aren’t the same person with multiple accounts/personalities. The end goal for all is mass hysteria and they all seem to leave and show up around the same time.....

I’m sure the other teams around the league that are in a similar boat (trading picks to win now, drafting in the high twenties every year) aren’t exactly world burners at drafting either the past 5+ years.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The only draft pick I really really hated from Washington recently was Lucas Johansen when Alex DeBrincat was on the board. Just an astounding lack of foresight just because a guy is short.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
They've already shifted a few times. Benn (drafted 2007), Lindell (2012), Aho technically counts I guess but he was 35th overall so not exactly the caliber of prospect being discussed here, Slavin (also 2012), Pesce (2013), I'm not going to go through the Bruins whole roster but you can tell me how many of those players were late-round draft picks in the last 5-6 years. Even the guys I spot picked as notable, somewhat productive, and young were mostly 1st round picks or outside the window with the exception of... I think Carlo and Bjork. By the time you get to Grzelcyk (2012) and Kuraly (2011) you've gone too far, and their other young players (DeBrusk, McAvoy, Zboril, Ritchie, etc) are first round picks.

Arvidsson is 2014 so that's a no, Ekholm is 2009, Josi 2008, should I go on? Shit, Josi didn't even play an NHL game until 2011-12 and wasn't a 40 point serious contributor until 2013-14.

The whole premise of this is stupid and flawed. Asking to see that kind of growth and impact from a late round pick where we can already definitively call them producers requires a trajectory and potential that generally elevates their draft stock, or has a potentially weird variable at play like Jamie Benn being drafted out of the BCHL. Not saying you can't do better there, I guess, but it's hit or miss and a lot of other teams missed too, you won't win them all.

To be clear, I'm not even saying that the Capitals late round drafting has been sufficiently good, this is just a stupid way to test it. Even most of the players who make their debut halfway into this 6 year window are mostly second round picks, and all of them come on (at the time) bubble playoff/retooling teams. The Capitals aren't in a position to play this loaded dice game for a number of reasons (trading picks, deeper roster and significant playoff threat) and when you hit on as many 1st rounders as the Capitals do (play that game with Dallas, Boston, and St. Louis) you make it even harder.

wow, that got away from me.
TL;DR: this game is bullshit in a 6 year window and even half of the impact examples up there don't fit that mold.
I was answering a pretty straightforward question by Ridley Simon. Every single one of examples fits the criteria required in his question.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If that question includes being drafted in the last 5-6 years:

And it looks like it does, then no, you didn't and they don't.
He didn't say last 5-6 years. I said that initially. He asked about just late rounders in general so yeah, seeing him backtrack on that is pretty weird.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He didn't say last 5-6 years. I said that initially. He asked about just late rounders in general so yeah, seeing him backtrack on that is pretty weird.
And if you mean past 5-6 years than those kids are 22-23 now. Find me a team that has multiple post 1st rounders playing now?

Do you need someone to type the phrase "multiple post-1st rounders that have been drafted in the past 5-6 years" out for you every time, because this looks like a pretty acceptable shorthand for me in the context presented.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I was answering a pretty straightforward question by Ridley Simon. Every single one of examples fits the criteria required in his question.
Not really. You asked for picks. I stated a few. You said they weren’t enough because they weren’t recent. And I turn you listed picks that weren’t recent.

Listen — you enjoy complaining and taking shots at the team. You always have. I’m not sure you are even a true fan. I don’t mean they to dismiss you, but my guess is you have been on here the last few years to take shots. Did you follow the Caps in the 80’s, 90’s, and early 00’s?

If so, can you talk at all about those teams (without googling it)? Or maybe you are in your early 20’s and wouldn’t know.

I don’t know you — save the fact you like to talk crap about them and don’t seem to ever respect much they’ve done.

So — I’m done with this convo. Whatever I talk about seems to get dismissed. And that’s cool

But I’m now dismissing all of this.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
My original post paid decade. I don’t know where you got 5-6yrs. I don’t know any teams that have multiple players from draft 2015 since — beyond round 1 — that are stars.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I’m not convinced that a few of these posters aren’t the same person with multiple accounts/personalities. The end goal for all is mass hysteria and they all seem to leave and show up around the same time.....

I’m sure the other teams around the league that are in a similar boat (trading picks to win now, drafting in the high twenties every year) aren’t exactly world burners at drafting either the past 5+ years.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad