Post-Game Talk: G5: Sabres @ Russian-less Caps | 1/22/21 | 7p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This team looks like a rebuild team without Kuznetsov. Thank God we have a player worth the half of all other roster in Kuzy.

That’s a interesting take considering how inconsistent he has been for the past 3 years.

He’s not even the 5th best player on the team at this point on any given night.

He doesn’t hustle, can’t defend and turns the puck over so much. His lack of effort is indefensible at this point.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I like Lavi’s system in the offensive zone and I like the breakouts but they are ass in the defensive zone. Not covering the crease or below the tops of the circles between the hash marks doesn’t seem like a recipe for success.
At some point you have to wonder is the system even a problem? Or is it a bad choice of personnel by the management that f***s up every system they play under?

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ive said it before and ill say it again. Reading the game thread makes me roll eyes how spoiled and delusional our fanbase is.

Vanecek was a rock and foundation for 2 points tonight. Did a handful of good timely saves that kept us in it. And stood against all 4 shootouts to wheel in the extra point. Would he want that third goal back? Propably. But it was defensive break down and bad spot for a goalie. Did he gave a rebound or two? For sure. Is there really a goalie that doesnt? Vanecek was good.

And structure failure and no wheels? No, it was not structure failure. 2 of their goals was from direct takeaways, so its personnel and not strucrural failures. Sabres is very high-talented upfront and we were playing our whole taxi-squad for the game and walked out with 2 points. If thats not good enough, i dont know what to say.

Our team is not about wheels. Its not a flashy & speedy young-guns out kind of team. Its heavy and hardnosed veteran group. Its about trying to grind through the pressure and speed and keep the enemy at low enough scoring rate so our top dogs can score couple PP goals and win the game. Its not going to work every night and we will look slow and stupid and tired at times, but as long as we make it to playoffs its all good. The league is so close today that once we get to the match-ups its anybodys cup to take. Just need grind it through the season and catch fire at the right time.

This game was a big win. We beated Hall and Eichel and Dahlin for two points with half of our top talent missing, and our best player injured for a third of the game. And we are really whining it wasnt flashy enough of a win..

Chara is so slow! And made a big mistake on the second goal. And was on ice for all 3 GA? And i still liked him!

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Small sample size but I really like Schultz so far. Terrific skater and he seems to have a knack of knowing when to press the issue and or lead the rush. His skating actually reminds me of MG52... looks effortless and can accelerate to top speed in just a few strides.
Guess he’s not as broken as Pens fan wanted everyone to believe. Imagine that??

From all I’ve seen, he’s a legit top 4D. Period.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That’s a interesting take considering how inconsistent he has been for the past 3 years.

He’s not even the 5th best player on the team at this point on any given night.

He doesn’t hustle, can’t defend and turns the puck over so much. His lack of effort is indefensible at this point.

I was told yesterday that the charts say Kuzy has been remarkably good. This idea that he hasnt been is fake news.

Reactions: twabby

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
At some point you have to wonder is the system even a problem? Or is it a bad choice of personnel by the management that f***s up every system they play under?

They could try a whole bunch of different players and see. They have had most their best players for a long time. Might be a good time to trade off Ovechkin and Backstrom and Carlson. Oshie could get snagged by Seattle. WHy not?

Reactions: Calicaps

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
They could try a whole bunch of different players and see. They have had most their best players for a long time. Might be a good time to trade off Ovechkin and Backstrom and Carlson. Oshie could get snagged by Seattle. WHy not?
No one will take this nylanderish contract

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Thank god 2 of the 4 games Ovi and the rest miss are against the Sabres. Even against them this roster still somehow managed to get 2 points despite getting absolutely dominated in the 2nd period.

Other than that they played surprisingly well. Vanecek let in a bad goal but overally he was really good and propably deserves the 1st star here.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I assume they're waiting on CMM since he missed all of training camp and is just learning Lavi's system. I'd love to see him but I get why he's not in yet.

Schultz has been quiet so far. That's good in the D zone, but I don't see him creating a whole lot in transition or in the O zone yet.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Schultz has been quiet so far. That's good in the D zone, but I don't see him creating a whole lot in transition or in the O zone yet.

Could it be that the group still isnt comfortable yet? To me Dillon is the only one really pushing the offensive zone pressure. Jensen to an extent. Carlson seems well off his attack rate for the past 3 or 4 seasons. I am thinking the group isnt comfortable with the system yet.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
You realize that I was being sarcastic. You have made it clear though that you dont like the core and want changes.
Buddy I'm not an idiot although you clearly think I am. Of course I realize you were sarcastic and I just played along. But yeah I don't like Ovechkin in the role of a best player on the team that wants to win something serious. He's not that good anymore. He needs a sheltered role and salary.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Buddy I'm not an idiot although you clearly think I am. Of course I realize you were sarcastic and I just played along. But yeah I don't like Ovechkin in the role of a best player on the team that wants to win something serious. He's not that good anymore. He needs a sheltered role and salary.
He was en route to his 9th 50-goal season before Covid. Definitely washed up.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad