Post-Game Talk: G5: Sabres @ Russian-less Caps | 1/22/21 | 7p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Do you need someone to type the phrase "multiple post-1st rounders that have been drafted in the past 5-6 years" out for you every time, because this looks like a pretty acceptable shorthand for me in the context presented.
Even if he meant last 5-6 years it's easily provable that there are teams that have multiple picks from that timeframe playing in their lineup. You guys obviously have too much time on your hands asking for links, proofs, screens of players pages with numbers of their picks etc. I don't have time for that I'm sorry. Just go at eliteprospects and look at the rosters. Unfortunately, not all organizations look absolutely incompetent when it comes to doing their jobs properly with scouting young talent like the Capitals.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Since 2015 we have had 30 draft picks and only two have contributed and they haven’t contributed much yet (Samsonov and Siegenthaler). I haven’t looked at every other team but that doesn’t seem great to me.

Quick check of hockey DB.
Penguins since 2015 have drafted 2 NHL players. Both in 2015. Sprong and Simon
Boston in 2015 and 2016 had 5 first round picks from which they got McAvoy and DeBrusk. In those 2 seasons they had 9 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds. I would say they are not typical.
Tampa back to 2016 has drafted 1 NHL player, Howden who was traded to the Rangers as a prospect. In 2015 when they had 2 picks each in the 2nd 3rd and 4th, they got Cirelli in the 2nd and Joseph in the 4th.
The Flyers back to 2015 outside of the 1st round have Carter Hart. Thats it.

Its worth remembering that entire time the Capitals have been among the league leaders. They have a solid and stable core that they have kept together. They dont have roster opportunities that lesser teams have. 5 of their top 6 forwards are home built. 3 of their 7 defensemen are home built including a Norris finalist and both their goalies.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Boston in 2015 and 2016 had 5 first round picks from which they got McAvoy and DeBrusk. In those 2 seasons they had 9 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds. I would say they are not typical.
Tampa back to 2016 has drafted 1 NHL player, Howden who was traded to the Rangers as a prospect. In 2015 when they had 2 picks each in the 2nd 3rd and 4th, they got Cirelli in the 2nd and Joseph in the 4th.

Its worth remembering that entire time the Capitals have been among the league leaders. They have a solid and stable core that they have kept together. They dont have roster opportunities that lesser teams have. 5 of their top 6 forwards are home built. 3 of their 7 defensemen are home built including a Norris finalist and both their goalies.
Pretty damn good.

Reactions: Calicaps

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Even if he meant last 5-6 years it's easily provable that there are teams that have multiple picks from that timeframe playing in their lineup. You guys obviously have too much time on your hands asking for links, proofs, screens of players pages with numbers of their picks etc. I don't have time for that I'm sorry. Just go at eliteprospects and look at the rosters. Unfortunately, not all organizations look absolutely incompetent when it comes to doing their jobs properly with scouting young talent like the Capitals.
-Easily Provable
-Doesn't have time
-Doubles down with more bullshit.

When do you get banned for trolling?

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Thank you.

@Melkor — YOU kept changing the criteria. You talked overall picks outside 1st round. I stated players. Then you went recently. I stated all the players the Caps traded for using those picks.

it’s obvious no one can please your ranting and raving about how bad the team is, and how it’s about to become.

we get it. You think they suck and should be either much better or trade half the aged roster to somehow get there (being much better).....and of course whatever your blueprint is should be followed (what IS your blueprint again? Specifically—- not the vague crap you have stated so far).

Reactions: HeyMattyB

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007

Thanks for this informative reply. Like I said I wasn’t sure how other teams fared so this is a good comparison. Hopefully some of our more recent picks contribute in the future.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
-Easily Provable
-Doesn't have time
-Doubles down with more bullshit.

When do you get banned for trolling?

which persona is this again? Lol...

I’ll never understand the seemingly personal offense a lot of you guys take about a conversation about the team.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He was a regular when they won the Cup . Like all but 2-3 games?

So LMAO all you want, at the 6th (7th) round choice...but WTF more could you want?

and hi Maaco. It’s been a while. Hope you’ve been well.

If you can look anyone in the eye and say “Djoos was a significant contributor on the Cup run” (instead of, he was a journeyman who filled in nicely for a season) without grinning, you’ve got a better poker face than me. ;)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If you can look anyone in the eye and say “Djoos was a significant contributor on the Cup run” (instead of, he was a journeyman who filled in nicely for a season) without grinning, you’ve got a better poker face than me. ;)
We are talking about a 7th draft pick that played significant minutes in every win they played, while winning the cup. It’s not a Gersich or Walker that played spot duty.

Every game. How is that not relevant? Regardless of being a 7th rounder?

Reactions: crab

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We are talking about a 7th draft pick that played significant minutes in every win they played, while winning the cup. It’s not a Gersich or Walker that played spot duty.

Every game. How is that not relevant? Regardless of being a 7th rounder?

now you’re trying to quantify it. Nothing wrong with admitting he’s is/was a simple journeyman. It’s cool, conversation not really going anywhere. If you think our draft results overall are good after the 1st round, we can just disagree.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
now you’re trying to quantify it. Nothing wrong with admitting he’s is/was a simple journeyman. It’s cool, conversation not really going anywhere. If you think our draft results overall are good after the 1st round, we can just disagree.
I do think they are. Draft picks wise. Results over the years speak for themselves. Only pillars from the start are in ‘06 are 8&19. Rest are (were) either part of it, traded, or left via FA to open up enough cap space for replacements to get to what we’ve done.

so yes, we can just disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->