GDT: G19: Capitals @ Kings - Crypto.com arena - 10:38pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Well not always. Before Kolzig came along(it took him 7 years to develop before he was the Caps long time #1 goalie as he was drafted when he was just age 19), the Caps were not that good developing goalies. Kolzig became the franchises #1 goalie and then when his time was done, Holtby came out of nowhere(I believe he was drafted in the 4th round). Grubauer should have been the next in line #1, but we wrongfully traded him out instead of Holtby. Sammy/Vitek were some fillers that weren't gonna stick, as they are showing now with the Leafs/Devils.
Missing some quality and respectable goaltenders in this timeline, including one still doing work today, but overall correct outside of the Grubauer thing, he has an established ceiling and it's not good enough for what the Capitals were trending towards/are now.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Jim Carrey‘s name is still on the Vezina trophy
Jim Carrey never developed right for some reason. He had 2 very good years with the Caps, but somehow he fell off a cliff facing the Pens in the playoffs! Jim Schonfeld had a very defensive first system and kind of inflated Carrey's numbers to look a lot better than they should have been. He was like a goalie Velcro literally, as pucks were just sticking too him. As soon as he had to face a little adversity, he mentally fell apart and just faded away fast from the NHL.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Nothing really went well, team still managed to win.

Somebody would say something about that but I can't be bothered to @ them for it.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Also interesting. Sandin and TVR were a pair, right? They had several minutes more on ice than Jensen and Edmundson. Kinda like Jensen is 3RD now and TVR switched to 2RD.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Noteworthy that 4 forwards who each played all 20 games in the Hershey Calder Cup run last year - Mikey, Protas, Beck (who was an absolute beast last night), and Lapierre - have each taken significant strides as NHLers this year. That really was the great developmental experience we all hoped it would be.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
This is the player Mantha was supposed to be.

The Detroit fans told us he wasn't driven and slacked off but was good when he wanted to be.

There doesn't appear to be any reason why he's playing well right now after having sucked quite frequently the past few years aside from the threat of him getting cut or healthy scratched.

Unfortunately they appear to have been correct.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
This is the player Mantha was supposed to be.

The Detroit fans told us he wasn't driven and slacked off but was good when he wanted to be.

There doesn't appear to be any reason why he's playing well right now after having sucked quite frequently the past few years aside from the threat of him getting cut or healthy scratched.

Unfortunately they appear to have been correct.
Starting to realize he is in a contract year perhaps.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Catching up this a.m. to the unexpected result from the Kings match. Nice to hear a goal review call went in our favor for a change! A good long road trip like this should lead to a team gelling and behaving more like they're in this together. I wonder if they forget to tell Kuzy when they're going out together for a team meal.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Mantha keeps playing like this and he will easily flip from negative trade value to positive as rental.

Yes. As our ’own rental!

If we keep battling for a playoffs spot and Mantha keeps on making plays, no reason to ship him out. Unless of course its…..

….overpayment! Waiting for the 1st+ for Mantha offers flood in!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Feelin' real good about my Mantha and McMichael pre-season prognostications.

Didn't watch a single minute but watched extended highlights this morning and my general thoughts are this team will struggle if and when goaltending reverts to being mortal. They have very little high-end offensive talent any more and it's tough to win games when you need to out structure, out work, and out goal-tend teams almost every night. I think they have terrific depth but it feels like they're missing an entire top line and unless they can figure out how to score more they're going to struggle at some point in the not-so-distant future.

Please move Kuznetsov to the wing at this point if they're going to keep playing him.

Reactions: tycoonheart

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Can we admit the Darcy signing was a failure? Hand the reigns over to Lindy.
I don't think it was a failure, but I'm a bit disappointed from what I have seen so far to this point. Lindgren is playing exceptionally great right now, but he's not a #1 goalie just yet. Devils/Oilers/maybe the Kings need a playoff goalie and Kuemper would be a possible fit, as his cap hit is cheaper than Ducks goalie John Gibson, who could be on those teams radar(not the Kings of course). Kuemper has a 10 team list NTC, so not sure who's on that list. He was traded to the Kings before, so it always possible it could happen again but the salary cap hit would have to work for the Kings. If Lindy keeps this up, Kuemper numbers improve, yet Lindy keeps stealing starts from Kuemper, then we could possibly explore a trade. These days a lot of teams need two good goalies.

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
Darcy has been one of the worst starting goaltenders in the league since he joined us last season. His GAA is abysmal. When is the last time he shut down a great team? I’ll wait.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Darcy has been one of the worst starting goaltenders in the league since he joined us last season. His GAA is abysmal. When is the last time he shut down a great team? I’ll wait.
Can we fact check this? I think we will have a line of teams that want a goalie that can win 16 games in the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad