GDT: G19: Capitals @ Kings - Crypto.com arena - 10:38pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
He was unbelievable. How do you not make him the No. 1 guy. He has been outplaying Kuemper by a lot. Really battles

Partly due to PK time, i think
Not sure if Lindgren is quite ready to take over the #1 job. He's an acrobatic butterfly goalie, but his style of goaltending doesn't equate to being sturdy(physically) and start a long stretch of games.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He was unbelievable. How do you not make him the No. 1 guy. He has been outplaying Kuemper by a lot. Really battles

Partly due to PK time, i think
It is, Kuznetsov would be on par with Strome if not for his PK shifts, it just seems like equal top 6 deployment with a few personnel quirks

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Might depend on how well Kuemper can play.
Chuck’s scrambling, reactionary style reminds me of someone like MAF. They can get really hot and battle their asses off. But if they’re off, they’re really off.

Kuemper has the prototypical size and fundamentals to be more consistent. Will be interesting to see if they can both play well going forward.

This team is going to be in tight games, and will have to be opportunistic on offense - while playing solid team D, and hoping for more great performances in net. Not a lot of margin for error.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Might be my hot take of the night, but I would totally try to trade Darcy and dump his cap hit to anyone who wants him and we might get something good back
If Lindgren keeps this up for another month or 2, then I would say yes. Caps have a plethora of goalie options with Hershey and the ECHL Stingrays(Shepard, Stevenson, Gibson). Shepard I think is good enough to be brought up and be a regular NHL backup, while Stevenson/Gibson are future NHL goaltenders that could develop into #1 goalies for the Caps in 3 - 5 years.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Ovechkin with Strome was statistically one of the best Lines in the NHL during their time together. Time to put them back together. Then Protas-McM-Mantha should be the second line now.

Kuznetsov should be pushed down to third line.
This should happen but Kuzy seems to have some compromising pictures of Carberry.

I can think of no other reason for the coach’s decisions.

• Haha
Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Chuck’s scrambling, reactionary style reminds me of someone like MAF. They can get really hot and battle their asses off. But if they’re off, they’re really off.

Kuemper has the prototypical size and fundamentals to be more consistent. Will be interesting to see if they can both play well going forward.

This team is going to be in tight games, and will have to be opportunistic on offense - while playing solid team D, and hoping for more great performances in net. Not a lot of margin for error.
Lindgren reminds me a lot of another Caps goalie in the past, Rick Tabarraci, that was very acrobatic and could handle the puck very well. Though Lindgren is far better.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Ovechkin with Strome was statistically one of the best Lines in the NHL during their time together. Time to put them back together. Then Protas-McM-Mantha should be the second line now.

Kuznetsov should be pushed down to third line.
Ovechkin/Strome keeps working because Strome shoots the puck and he's a center. The opponent then has to respect Strome's shooting ability and that opens up chances for Ovechkin. Then you combine those two with Wilson with what he can do, you have a good 1st line.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Lindgren reminds me a lot of another Caps goalie in the past, Rick Tabarraci, that was very acrobatic and could handle the puck very well. Though Lindgren is far better.
Wow, good call and pull from history. I was at Caps Center a lot in the early 90s, so I saw him a fair number of times. He was entertaining - but wildly up and down.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
If Lindgren keeps this up for another month or 2, then I would say yes. Caps have a plethora of goalie options with Hershey and the ECHL Stingrays(Shepard, Stevenson, Gibson). Shepard I think is good enough to be brought up and be a regular NHL backup, while Stevenson/Gibson are future NHL goaltenders that could develop into #1 goalies for the Caps in 3 - 5 years.
When do goalies usually make the jump to the NHL? Stevenson and Gibson are both 24.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

I like Tabaracci when he was a Jet. He nearly stole the first round of the 92 playoffs against he Canucks.

When do goalies usually make the jump to the NHL? Stevenson and Gibson are both 24.

They’re just hitting their prime at that position. It’s amazing how the goalie situation with the Caps has changed in a few years. So many choices.

Reactions: bacchist

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Wow, good call and pull from history. I was at Caps Center a lot in the early 90s, so I saw him a fair number of times. He was entertaining - but wildly up and down.
Yeah Tabarraci was quick as any goalie in the NHL was at the time, but he never was gonna develop it into being a #1 goalie. In fact, if I recall he had injury issues because of how acrobatic he played.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Stevenson(I might add he picked signing with the Caps over the Rangers, as he was undrafted!) leads AHL with 3 shutouts, 2nd in GAA and he's top 5 in SV%(.932), while being a rookie in the AHL! Because Shepard is still in AHL, Gibson had to be sent down to the ECHL to play for the Stingrays. The one game he played for Hershey, he won and played very well. Gibson was Harvard's #1 goalie for the 4 years he played there. It amazes me how the Caps have the best system for developing goalies for the NHL. They have had by far more success in goalies making the NHL over all the other NHL teams. The way they scout/draft, they are a NHL goalie factory!

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Stevenson(I might add he picked signing with the Caps over the Rangers, as he was undrafted!) leads AHL with 3 shutouts, 2nd in GAA and he's top 5 in SV%(.932), while being a rookie in the AHL! Because Shepard is still in AHL, Gibson had to be sent down to the ECHL to play for the Stingrays. The one game he played for Hershey, he won and played very well. Gibson was Harvard's #1 goalie for the 4 years he played there. It amazes me how the Caps have the best system for developing goalies for the NHL. They have had by far more success in goalies making the NHL over all the other NHL teams. The way they scout/draft, they are a NHL goalie factory!
I don't know what the mix is but it now supersedes goalie coaching, maybe Kolzig knows his shit in a way we haven't come to appreciate yet? I really don't know, because they do just keep cranking them out. Shepherd didn't even look lost up here, was frankly pretty okay.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Stevenson could be a regular Cap in another 2 years, but with Kuemper, Lindgren and Shepard in front of him on the depth chart, there is no rush. So don't be surprised to see both Stevenson/Gibson as your Caps #1 n #2 in 4 to 5 years.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
we have always been good at developing goalies, but it really started at Hershey when we got to the Kettler facility. That’s when we could really start training players.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't know what the mix is but it now supersedes goalie coaching, maybe Kolzig knows his shit in a way we haven't come to appreciate yet? I really don't know, because they do just keep cranking them out. Shepherd didn't even look lost up here, was frankly pretty okay.
Shepard's first game up against the Devils he looked nervous and he was adjusting to the faster NHL speed/skill. The 2nd game he played, he stole it stopping I think 36/37 against Islanders. He was the Calder Cup MVP for the Bears winning it all last season. Shepard has a strange style, as he crouches low and takes away almost everything low. He plays his angles pretty good, so you have to beat him up high. Like Lindgren he battles a lot.

Reactions: HTFN

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Shepard's first game up against the Devils he looked nervous and he was adjusting to the faster NHL speed/skill. The 2nd game he played, he stole it stopping I think 36/37 against Islanders. He was the Calder Cup MVP for the Bears winning it all last season. Shepard has a strange style, as he crouches low and takes away almost everything low. He plays his angles pretty good, so you have to beat him up high. Like Lindgren he battles a lot.
yeah his first game was kind of on him, but you know the saying or belief that sometimes goalies get up to the NHL level and when the D works at the NHL level they actually have an easier time of navigating the bullshit, because there's usually less bullshit.

Shepard seemed like one of those guys, where he may have faults and cracks but no amount of AHL time is going to make him any better, because NHL D will fix half of what he's missing.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
we have always been good at developing goalies, but it really started at Hershey when we got to the Kettler facility. That’s when we could really start training players.
Well not always. Before Kolzig came along(it took him 7 years to develop before he was the Caps long time #1 goalie as he was drafted when he was just age 19), the Caps were not that good developing goalies. Kolzig became the franchises #1 goalie and then when his time was done, Holtby came out of nowhere(I believe he was drafted in the 4th round). Grubauer should have been the next in line #1, but we wrongfully traded him out instead of Holtby. Sammy/Vitek were some fillers that weren't gonna stick, as they are showing now with the Leafs/Devils.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Well not always. Before Kolzig came along(it took him 7 years to develop before he was the Caps long time #1 goalie as he was drafted when he was just age 19), the Caps were not that good developing goalies. Kolzig became the franchises #1 goalie and then when his time was done, Holtby came out of nowhere(I believe he was drafted in the 4th round). Grubauer should have been the next in line #1, but we wrongfully traded him out instead of Holtby. Sammy/Vitek were some fillers that weren't gonna stick, as they are showing now with the Leafs/Devils.
Jim Carrey‘s name is still on the Vezina trophy

Jim Carrey‘s name is still on the Vezina trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: