GDT: G19: Capitals @ Kings - Crypto.com arena - 10:38pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Can't stay up.
Same … but nice waking up to a W but this isn’t sustainable. No Ovie goal, box score indicates a pedestrian game

Go caps

10 games.

And I agree, there's worse starting goalies than Kuemper. And he's much better than our last 2 goalies.
I also don’t get the DK hate. We’ve been a bad slow team last 2 years …. He’s been left out to dry many many times. Seems he saves more should be goals then lets in should be saves imo

He’s not a top 10 goalie but he’s a starting caliber goalie and that’s more than can be said of Sammy and VV imo (who are fine servicable, sometimes good sometimes bad goalies)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
While Ovi could have had more goals probably his play is damaging his line big time

And I don't see him being injured

He struggles in areas he struggled while scoring 50 goals a season. I think it's just his current level of play.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
He was slightly better than Lindy last season and doesn’t hold a candle to him this season. I’d say Darcy is maybe in that 15-20 range and that’s being generous.

Reactions: Neil Racki

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
This team hasn't won a playoff round in more than 5 years. Suggesting that the franchise has not managed effectively - and has, to some degree, been in denial about - the physical decline of 3 of its core forwards in the context of a game whose tempo has gotten much, much faster in those 5 years is not hating.

Ovie can still be a highly useful player, but it requires coming to grips with what Ovie can and can't do in that new context of a changing game - and adapting his deployment to those new realities. Caps haven't done that very well, and it was exacerbated by the fact that

Carberry seems like he's trying to do that, and I respect him for it - particularly since I think there's long been resistance to reckoning with that reality from Ted (sell the drive to 895!), and that message trickles down. I don't think observing and commenting on this dynamic is hating.

I think Ovie's production can and will improve because from the 19 game sample I've observed, Carberry seems like a damn good coach who's not going to willfully blind himself to Ovie's current capabilities and limits.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
card.jpg

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
There must be two of them cause I visited Memphis a year or two ago and the one right by the Mississippi is a huge Bass pro shop lol
was going to say last night but yeah... it's a Bass Pro Shop of all things

the best part is the little piece of trivia in the comments (which I didn't fact check) saying that Cleopatra lived closer in time to the building of the Bass Pro Pyramid than the real ones in Egypt

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
This team hasn't won a playoff round in more than 5 years. Suggesting that the franchise has not managed effectively - and has, to some degree, been in denial about - the physical decline of 3 of its core forwards in the context of a game whose tempo has gotten much, much faster in those 5 years is not hating.

Ovie can still be a highly useful player, but it requires coming to grips with what Ovie can and can't do in that new context of a changing game - and adapting his deployment to those new realities. Caps haven't done that very well, and it was exacerbated by the fact that

Carberry seems like he's trying to do that, and I respect him for it - particularly since I think there's long been resistance to reckoning with that reality from Ted (sell the drive to 895!), and that message trickles down. I don't think observing and commenting on this dynamic is hating.

I think Ovie's production can and will improve because from the 19 game sample I've observed, Carberry seems like a damn good coach who's not going to willfully blind himself to Ovie's current capabilities and limits.
Adapting Ovies deployment? He's still running the 2018 line that hasn't looked good at any point this decade.

Carberry's inability to play the vets properly is his biggest weakness. Which isn't surprising for a rookie coach.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
It's hard to find positives in Ovechkin's game this year. Hopefully he turns it around. I was hoping that the Sharks game was a sign of better things to come but it didn't happen in this game. Awful game for his line.

For all the talk of Carbery's progressive approach, Ovechkin's deployment has remained unchanged from years past. Ideally, I'd like to see Ovechkin play less and play harder but I'm not sure if it's possible. His approach for many years now has been heavy on energy conservation and he has made it work very well. Asking a 38 year old to up his intensity and make more of reduced ice time is a big ask indeed.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Please forward this to Carberry, along with the other 12 terrible games of Ovie-Kuznetsov-Wilson.

Heck, send him last years game sheets as well.
I'm very sure he knows all this. He's mentioned shot attempts in post-game, which includes blocked and missed shots, and is used to determine corsi. He's surely got access to way more than we do, and people on staff analyzing it all.

I don't know what his thought process is, but he probably can't be totally open about it without throwing those guys under the bus and potentially losing the locker room.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Adapting Ovies deployment? He's still running the 2018 line that hasn't looked good at any point this decade.

Carberry's inability to play the vets properly is his biggest weakness. Which isn't surprising for a rookie coach.
Yeah, it's odd. Sometimes the new guy has to show the bosses and the long-time employees that their preferred and customary method of operating is no longer viable, particularly within the context of constructive changes that are yielding improved performance by other parts of the business (i.e., our young guys further down the lineup).

Reactions: HTFN and bacchist

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Yeah, it's odd. Sometimes the new guy has to show the bosses and the long-time employees that their preferred and customary method of operating is no longer viable, particularly within the context of constructive changes that are yielding improved performance by other parts of the business (i.e., our young guys further down the lineup).
Yeah. And this can be a tough line to walk when trying to still win games. Because if you're winning games anyway, don't fix what ain't broke, right?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I would have hoped the bosses saw this exact same thing play out last season. That's what's really pissing me off, we just did this shit!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Well its written that Ovi's ice time last night was the lowest of his career in a non injury/non ejection game. So maybe just maybe Carberry is giving his vets some rope before pulling in their leash. There's a delicate balance to be struck when a rookie HC has a hall of fame vet captain underperforming, in terms of how and when you dial his usage back. The same technically could apply to Kuzy too.

Edit, his ice time was impacted by the caps drawing zero PP. So his 5/5 time was actually pretty close to his season average. In hindsight, #FireCarberry.

Last edited:

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
This is the player Mantha was supposed to be.

The Detroit fans told us he wasn't driven and slacked off but was good when he wanted to be.

There doesn't appear to be any reason why he's playing well right now after having sucked quite frequently the past few years aside from the threat of him getting cut or healthy scratched.

Unfortunately they appear to have been correct.
Mantha doesn't seem like a guy who leads or runs a line by himself. I think he needs to feel chemistry with his linemates and when it clicks it brings out the best in him.

Watching extended highlights of last night's game: you could see Mantha's body language. He was playing with confidence, skating hard, puckhandling and creating plays etc. Last night we saw the player Mantha can be and it was pretty damn pleasing.

Carberry absolutely needs to keep that line together. They were easily our best line last night and if that continues they could do some real damage this season.

Having said all that - I still see Mantha as a player who has a lot of ups and downs. He could play great for the next 10 games and then lose interest / confidence and play like crap for the next 20. I feel like it's just part of who he is and that's not something any coach or teammates etc can change - it's entirely up to him whether he's engaged and loving the game or not.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Mantha doesn't seem like a guy who leads or runs a line by himself. I think he needs to feel chemistry with his linemates and when it clicks it brings out the best in him.

Watching extended highlights of last night's game: you could see Mantha's body language. He was playing with confidence, skating hard, puckhandling and creating plays etc. Last night we saw the player Mantha can be and it was pretty damn pleasing.

Carberry absolutely needs to keep that line together. They were easily our best line last night and if that continues they could do some real damage this season.

Having said all that - I still see Mantha as a player who has a lot of ups and downs. He could play great for the next 10 games and then lose interest / confidence and play like crap for the next 20. I feel like it's just part of who he is and that's not something any coach or teammates etc can change - it's entirely up to him whether he's engaged and loving the game or not.

Right. Agree.

The idea that it seems to be all in his head makes it more difficult to assess.

Reactions: PlushMinus

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
was going to say last night but yeah... it's a Bass Pro Shop of all things

the best part is the little piece of trivia in the comments (which I didn't fact check) saying that Cleopatra lived closer in time to the building of the Bass Pro Pyramid than the real ones in Egypt

I'm too lazy to fact check this but that would indeed be a wild trivia fact if true lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille