GDT: G10 // Oilers @ Blackhawks // Oct 28 @ 4 PM MST // TV: SNET 360

How surprised are you at the Oilers' start to the season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hoping for another solid effort. Win or lose, can't be upset with how the team has been playing. If they keep up that effort, I really can't ask for more.

Specifically hoping Klefbom can keep up his play, and Yam can solidify a role in the top 6 soon.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
How many games in a row will Jesse sit? I get 1 or 2 as a wake-up call but today would've been a good time to get him back in as he should have his skating legs against a team that is playing BTB.
I don't mind him not in the lineup.

But if he's not going to be, he should be sent down.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
We're shopping him.
I really don't believe teams even do this, and it's just a way for people to justify dumb coaching decisions.

If teams wanted to scout someone they wouldn't come watch them after they know they're going to be traded, they'd be better off watching videos of his play once he's settled in so they know what they're getting into.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't understand why they stick with Garrison-Benning after a win (the duo committed 2 idiotic penalties) yet have to bench Gravel-Bouchard after a win, a duo that has been fine outside of one goal.

Pulju needs to be sent down. He's learning nothing from 3 straight games in.the press box. He needs to play somewhere

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I really don't believe teams even do this, and it's just a way for people to justify dumb coaching decisions.

If teams wanted to scout someone they wouldn't come watch them after they know they're going to be traded, they'd be better off watching videos of his play once he's settled in so they know what they're getting into.
Probably. There'll be teams watching though and the Oilers would be more than happy to fulfill his trade request.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now I'm not supporting kassian, he's been substandard for a long time and pretty much all of last year. But at times this year he's played with more energy and pretty much better than he was at anypoint last season. So why all this happening now. Seems like a lot of tough love in the dog kennel right now. Several players have been scratched, Pulju now 3 games in the cage, can't get out, team wanting to trade Kassian.

The worry I have with some of this is that selective accountability could bite us. We by no means have a deep lineup and we can't really be losing anybody. Any injuries happen and we have trouble filling out a lineup card yet we're setting up Kass, Pulju, Gravel to want to look at other options. Does McLellan suddenly think we are deep? We've scratched 3 different players in bottom line and we've been awful there.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
God this clown coach is in love with Benning. Puts him out there at the end of periods and on the penalty kill. So you win a few games and its back to this? What about this magical thing called accountability he talked about? Cause all i saw is Kassian, Benning and Garrison almost cost this team again. How bad do you have to be to get in the dog house with this guy? He really seems to hold non north american players to different standards.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Now I'm not supporting kassian, he's been substandard for a long time and pretty much all of last year. But at times this year he's played with more energy and pretty much better than he was at anypoint last season. So why all this happening now. Seems like a lot of tough love in the dog kennel right now. Several players have been scratched, Pulju now 3 games in the cage, can't get out, team wanting to trade Kassian.

The worry I have with some of this is that selective accountability could bite us. We by no means have a deep lineup and we can't really be losing anybody. Any injuries happen and we have trouble filling out a lineup card yet we're setting up Kass, Pulju, Gravel to want to look at other options. Does McLellan suddenly think we are deep? We've scratched 3 different players in bottom line and we've been awful there.
Gravel had to go down. Can't keep a healthy player on IR, so once Benning came off they needed to make that roster move.

Pulju I agree shouldn't be a healthy scratch. Disagree he should be in the lineup though. Send him down to the minors.

Kassian meh. Good riddance once he's gone.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
God this clown coach is in love with Benning. Puts him out there at the end of periods and on the penalty kill. So you win a few games and its back to this? What about this magical thing called accountability he talked about? Cause all i saw is Kassian, Benning and Garrison almost cost this team again.

When Benning took that stupid penalty late in the game yesterday the only thing I'm thinking is he's going nuclear on bending results Like as if he didn't already meet his quota of being good for a GA before any game is even played.

I doubt even the players can decipher Todds likes and dislikes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
God this clown coach is in love with Benning. Puts him out there at the end of periods and on the penalty kill. So you win a few games and its back to this? What about this magical thing called accountability he talked about? Cause all i saw is Kassian, Benning and Garrison almost cost this team again. How bad do you have to be to get in the dog house with this guy? He really seems to hold non north american players to different standards.

Yeah, guys like Klefbom, Larsson and Draisaitl definitely haven't gotten a fair shake.

Pulju just sucks. Has nothing to do with him being Finnish.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Gravel had to go down. Can't keep a healthy player on IR, so once Benning came off they needed to make that roster move.

Pulju I agree shouldn't be a healthy scratch. Disagree he should be in the lineup though. Send him down to the minors.

Kassian meh. Good riddance once he's gone.

I read your post on the cap specifics and it being easier to bury Gravel but he's better than Garrison or Benning. Putting the best players on ice arguably should outweigh small cap considerations, I would think.

Reactions: Aerrol

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
why would they change a winning line-up?
I don't know probably the same reason they changed a winning line up after Washington. We are winning in spite of players like Benning/Kassian but sure lets keep pretending like they helped and weren't 1 of the players that gives the other team chances all night when they are on the ice.

Reactions: oilWILDcountry

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Yeah, guys like Klefbom, Larsson and Draisaitl definitely haven't gotten a fair shake.

No, he doesn't. All those players speak excellent english if you don't think Pulj is being treated differently because of his lack of superiority in the english language than you're lying to yourself. Pulj has been about as effective this year as Rattie but watch onces he's ready to go he'll get top 6 minutes while JP is playing on the fourth line in replacement of Kassian with everyone bitching he's not producing playing with guys like Brodziak and Khaira.

Reactions: oilWILDcountry

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Expected something like 3-6-1 from the first 10 games. The fact they're going to be .500 is already a pleasant surprise.

Let's keep it going boys. Both Edmonton and Chicago are playing a back to back today so hopefully they're more tired than the Oil are.
nobody is more tired this early in the year.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

Pretty sure Larsson was a vet already at the time and had more leeway because of it. You cant really bench your top 4 when your teams defense sucks to begin with. How many games this season alone was Benning getting more minutes then Klef and Lars? Because i seem to recall the game he was on the ice for 3 goals against including a horrendous giveaway and he still played more then our top pair. It only took disastrous results to pull him completely. As soon as he starts having average games watch Benning be back in the top 4 once again getting more minutes. I can guarantee it. The Oilers coaching for some reason sees something in poor players that nobody else sees. Like the time JF Jaques was in the top 6 for multiple games. This franchise keeps trying to polish turds to get more value when no other team will touch them.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Pretty sure Larsson was a vet already at the time and had more leeway because of it. You cant really bench your top 4 when your teams defense sucks to begin with. How many games this season alone was Benning getting more minutes then Klef and Lars? Because i seem to recall the game he was on the ice for 3 goals against including a horrendous giveaway and he still played more then our top pair. It only took disastrous results to pull him completely. As soon as he starts having average games watch Benning be back in the top 4 once again getting more minutes. I can guarantee it.
Literally one?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No, he doesn't. All those players speak excellent english if you don't think Pulj is being treated differently because of his lack of superiority in the english language than you're lying to yourself. Pulj has been about as effective this year as Rattie but watch onces he's ready to go he'll get top 6 minutes while JP is playing on the fourth line in replacement of Kassian with everyone *****ing he's not producing playing with guys like Brodziak and Khaira.
Pulju is being treated differently because he's inept in the NHL.

Puljujarvi doesn't belong in this league.

I guess it's easier to think the head coach is a xenophobe than it is to admit that the Oilers drafted yet another complete dud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad