GDT: G10 // Oilers @ Blackhawks // Oct 28 @ 4 PM MST // TV: SNET 360

How surprised are you at the Oilers' start to the season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think they said Marody was a bit banged up? If not I agree. Marody has earned a longer look in the NHL.

I heard the same thing on the CHED pregame...they said he wouldnt have come out of the lineup if he wasnt banged up.
Tough luck for Marody because he was playing really well. I prefer him to Kassian...much smarter and more effective player in the few games I saw him play.

Reactions: ujju2

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Nothing we didn't know:

LINEUP NOTES
Coach McLellan said he will administer the same lineup as he did a night before. That means Evan Bouchard, Jesse Puljujarvi and Cooper Marody will be out.

"I like the line combinations that we've found over the last little bit here," said the bench boss. "We've been able to spread our offence out rather than just have a select two or three guys contribute. That'll have to happen tonight."
Here's how the lineup is expected to look:

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Yamamoto
Rieder - Draisaitl - Chiasson
Lucic - Strome - Caggiula
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Garrison - Benning

Talbot

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
even the most optimistic fans have to be surprised with the start

win today and the Oilers could be top of the Pacific after 10 games....long ways to go but "not out of it" by a longshot
Somebody needs to resurrect that “What will be the Oilers record after 10 games” thread. Not many were predicting a .500 record. Going off my memory, I think I predicted 2-8 with wins over the Rangers and Hawks. I’m happy and surprised.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Other than an Oilers win, my biggest wish for tonight's game is that Strome gets a point. Feel bad for the guy, other teams' fans must be thinking that he's played badly.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Toughie for Marody as he’s trying to break in. But I have no doubts we will see him again soon.

I don’t completely mind the other two omissions though. Team is playing well.

Also wouldn’t have been the worst thing to see how Koski does in back-to-backs but now is not that time.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder if the Oilers will try and outgun the Blackhawks. Kane is absolutely on fire right now offensively. McDavid line vs Kane line could be a doozy tonight.

BleedOil

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton
Few people over reacting to Mclellan due to keeping his lines the same, sitting pulju, bouch ect. A roster that just beat Nashville. Relax, Oilers are playing great. JP won’t bust, he’s fine. Enjoy the positives. Way more healthy.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I think sitting Bouchard is really about letting him get as many NHL practices in as possible before 9 games (I think they'll send him down). Still no reason for Gravel to be sitting though.

Gravel was sent down to AHL already, expected to be back next week or two as per Stauffer...I’m thinking there is some sort of trade to upgrade D shaking out soon.
My assumption agrees with a couple posters here already that they are showcasing Kassian and that’s why he plays.

Enjoy the game today everyone !

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
why would they change a winning line-up?

They did after the Caps game and Kassian and Benning both played way worse than anyone taken out then.

At the end of the day a win is what matters but Todd's lineup choices remain frustrating. It's like pulling teeth for him to ice the most efficient lineup.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Want some more of this McDavid magic tonight...
Love how they both looked at the puck for a second, then took off...

Ua5brgN.gif

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Somebody needs to resurrect that “What will be the Oilers record after 10 games” thread. Not many were predicting a .500 record. Going off my memory, I think I predicted 2-8 with wins over the Rangers and Hawks. I’m happy and surprised.

I think I predicted 14 points but that’s only because I get over positive in prediction threads. Deep in my heart I thought we’d be lucky to get 7 points.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
What makes me mad is they are not sending a good example to young players . They sit them after a mistake and Benning and Kassian were train wrecks. No accountability.
They only thing is they are shopping Kassian. Hey maybe Benning as well.
Different players need different things? An example being Benning, he is struggling big time this year so maybe the coach is trying to let him play through it? Plus getting Benning back to his previous level of play would be a huge benefit to the team lacking right handed players.

Treating everyone the same ignores any insight the coaching staff may have on what a player needs to get better. If Puljujarvi came out saying the coaches don't teach nor talk to him, like Eakins/Yak, than I'd be worried.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We're shopping him.
I don’t think that’s a good enough reason to play him when he’s struggling. That logic only makes sense to me if a player is returning from an injury, just to prove to teams that he’s healthy. Everybody in the league knows who and what Kassian is whether he’s in the lineup or not. If anything, playing him might be hurting his chances to be dealt.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm not taking any shots at posters, but they just beat the cup champs and Pres Trophy winners by a total score of 9-4.

Two seasons ago the Oilers won three in a row then Todd messed with the lines and they dropped a couple games in a row. People were mad he messed with a winning lineup.

I get people want JP in the lineup (I'm one of them) but this is about the team, not one player. With the forward lines clicking and rolling, I agree with Todd in not making any changes.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think sitting Bouchard is really about letting him get as many NHL practices in as possible before 9 games (I think they'll send him down). Still no reason for Gravel to be sitting though.
I do to. I think if they were planning on keeping him up here past nine games he’d be playing every night.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don’t think that’s a good enough reason to play him when he’s struggling. That logic only makes sense to me if a player is returning from an injury, just to prove to teams that he’s healthy. Everybody in the league knows who and what Kassian is whether he’s in the lineup or not. If anything, playing him might be hurting his chances to be dealt.
To be fair, we're talking about Zack Kassian here. Him 'playing well' equates to him putting someone through a wall. The offensive production is just gravy. You're right though. The Oilers are probably just doing their due diligence not changing anything from a winning roster the night before.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You get reward for most absurd comment of the day lol No you don't belong in that league and i don't but Pulj does
I don't think you should be commenting on anyone's absurd comments when 99% of your posts are calling out McDavid when he has an off game.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Few people over reacting to Mclellan due to keeping his lines the same, sitting pulju, bouch ect. A roster that just beat Nashville. Relax, Oilers are playing great. JP won’t bust, he’s fine. Enjoy the positives. Way more healthy.
I bitch about Mclellan as much as anybody but to me he gets the benefit of the doubt when the team is playing well.

Reactions: Oilhawks and guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting just how much the last 2 seasons (and the start this season) for Chicago and Edmonton mirror each other.

2016/17

Chicago 109 pts
Edmonton 103 pts

2017/18

Chicago 76 pts
Edmonton 78 pts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad