GDT: G10 // Oilers @ Blackhawks // Oct 28 @ 4 PM MST // TV: SNET 360

How surprised are you at the Oilers' start to the season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
even the most optimistic fans have to be surprised with the start

win today and the Oilers could be top of the Pacific after 10 games....long ways to go but "not out of it" by a longshot

I predicted a 7-3-1 record for October.
So I'm happy it looks to be trending that way, I was only wrong in predicting a 6 game winning streak in there.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Renewed optimism finds its way to my posts.

Koskinen looked great yesterday. He was making saves an NHL goalie needs to, and more. The goals they scored were unstoppable, mostly.

I don't know how their PP is struggling. It looks wildly better than ours. Very fast crisp passing, dangerous one timers, hustle. They looked so damn good. I think it's time to move McDavid to the other side of the ice and try that.

I've been incredibly hard on Klefbom the past few seasons, and rightfully so IMO, but this year he looks like a legit top pairing defender. Very impressed with him. Hope he keeps it up.

Garrison and Benning should not be playing. Gravel and Bouchard should be in for them. Watching Benning rifle pucks around the boards when there are open passing options is rage inducing. Contrast to Bouchard's effortless tape-to-tape zone exits and it still has me wondering why Bouchard isn't playing every game. I get they want to keep him around as long as possible ... hopefully they will keep him around. I think he is our second or third most valuable defenceman at the moment. On a team that is in a playoff spot, you can't afford to give that player up for fear of what happens 2 or 3 years down the line.

Lucic too. It's like bizarro world this season. Lucic is flying out there at times. What the hell am I watching? Hasn't been terribly efficient at generating scoring opportunities, although his points so far are back on pace to where they need to be. It looks like he has found some sort of groove on the third line.

I wanted to mention that Nashville shows a good example of wanting to ice the best team possible instead of caring about reputation, contract, etc. It seemed like we had Lucic on the 1st and 2nd lines far too often last year, but Nashville has had Bonino on the 4th line.

Hopefully Koskinen's great game inspires Talbot. He needs to get back on track.

Kassian looks absolutely done as a hockey player. Looks terrified out there and the only way he can ever be effective is if he's fearless. No surprise Friedman mentions his GM can start contacting teams for a trade. We have too many other winger options at lower salary for him to be worthwhile given his current play. Sorry buddy.

Sorry bud but how in the living hell can you say that Bouchard is more valuable than either Kelfbom, Larsson or Nurse ? (Or even Russell for that matter) ??

Reactions: RegDunlop

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Maroody must be banged up. Puljujarvi must really be in the doghouse. Otherwise Kassian would be out today. Take the over today. The Hawks have been scoring a ton but also giving up just as much.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How many games in a row will Jesse sit? I get 1 or 2 as a wake-up call but today would've been a good time to get him back in as he should have his skating legs against a team that is playing BTB.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
even the most optimistic fans have to be surprised with the start

win today and the Oilers could be top of the Pacific after 10 games....long ways to go but "not out of it" by a longshot
We've all heard the whole "those who are in at the start of November are usually in at the end of it" thing.... have to hope it rings true this season :]

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Only rationale is let him play to give potentially interested teams a look.... although really we should sit him in the pressbox and send them the tape of the Sharks series and hope they fall for it.
If last game was any indication playing him more won't make him look good.

Kassian was playing for his life when he was brought here then he got comfortable after he signed his extension.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I kind of like leaving the roster the same. I think that Kass should be out, but I don't have a problem with the idea behind it. This organization has lacked accountability for as long as I can remember.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Maroody must be banged up. Puljujarvi must really be in the doghouse. Otherwise Kassian would be out today. Take the over today. The Hawks have been scoring a ton but also giving up just as much.

Kassian should be in the press box after trying to give away the game yesterday and being invisible other than that stupid penalty.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can't really argue with keeping a winning lineup..... but it's clear to me and other posters that Gravel, Marody, and Bouch all won their game too and showed better than their replacements. So there is no real logic to this lineup decision, but it is only 1 game early in the season. Those players will get their chance soon enough. Let's just focus on winning this game.o

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have flip flopped many times.

When Sekera was healthy I figured the Oilers should be a strong team again. He got injured i was still cautiously optimistic.

Then preseason happened it was a mixed bag where I lost faith in the team defense more.

Game one and two shredded my optimism in net and overall.

I still have big reservations on this teams, goaltending, Defense, and coaching.

Reactions: RegDunlop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad