GDT: G10 // Oilers @ Blackhawks // Oct 28 @ 4 PM MST // TV: SNET 360

How surprised are you at the Oilers' start to the season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Chicago plating very good so far minus yesterday. Going to be looking for revenge. Going to be yet another tough game.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Chicago plating very good so far minus yesterday. Going to be looking for revenge. Going to be yet another tough game.

It was a one goal game with 5 minutes left, not really a traditional blowout by any means so I don't know if we'll see that bounce back. Chicago has surprised me but I think as long as the Oilers continue their play, I think we win this.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Renewed optimism finds its way to my posts.

Koskinen looked great yesterday. He was making saves an NHL goalie needs to, and more. The goals they scored were unstoppable, mostly.

I don't know how their PP is struggling. It looks wildly better than ours. Very fast crisp passing, dangerous one timers, hustle. They looked so damn good. I think it's time to move McDavid to the other side of the ice and try that.

I've been incredibly hard on Klefbom the past few seasons, and rightfully so IMO, but this year he looks like a legit top pairing defender. Very impressed with him. Hope he keeps it up.

Garrison and Benning should not be playing. Gravel and Bouchard should be in for them. Watching Benning rifle pucks around the boards when there are open passing options is rage inducing. Contrast to Bouchard's effortless tape-to-tape zone exits and it still has me wondering why Bouchard isn't playing every game. I get they want to keep him around as long as possible ... hopefully they will keep him around. I think he is our second or third most valuable defenceman at the moment. On a team that is in a playoff spot, you can't afford to give that player up for fear of what happens 2 or 3 years down the line.

Lucic too. It's like bizarro world this season. Lucic is flying out there at times. What the hell am I watching? Hasn't been terribly efficient at generating scoring opportunities, although his points so far are back on pace to where they need to be. It looks like he has found some sort of groove on the third line.

I wanted to mention that Nashville shows a good example of wanting to ice the best team possible instead of caring about reputation, contract, etc. It seemed like we had Lucic on the 1st and 2nd lines far too often last year, but Nashville has had Bonino on the 4th line.

Hopefully Koskinen's great game inspires Talbot. He needs to get back on track.

Kassian looks absolutely done as a hockey player. Looks terrified out there and the only way he can ever be effective is if he's fearless. No surprise Friedman mentions his GM can start contacting teams for a trade. We have too many other winger options at lower salary for him to be worthwhile given his current play. Sorry buddy.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
If the boys put in the same effort like they did yesterday, this could be another win.
Guess Kassian will be scratched, hope Larsson isn't too banged up from yesterdays teeth demolition.

GO OILERS!

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Yep, play like they did against the Preds and it should be another win today. McDavid usually plays well against the Hawks (well, most teams) and I expect a big game from his line.

Be nice if I could celebrate both a win for my Broncos and the Oilers.

Reactions: TheNumber4

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Expected something like 3-6-1 from the first 10 games. The fact they're going to be .500 is already a pleasant surprise.

Let's keep it going boys. Both Edmonton and Chicago are playing a back to back today so hopefully they're more tired than the Oil are.

Reactions: TheNumber4

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Ward has terrible numbers this year. The Hawks might be off to a good start but this is a different calibre of team then we have been playing.

Their D isn't good enough anymore to skate with McDavid.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Their defense has Gustafsson in the top 4, and Manning as a regular. Time for McDavid to capitalize on finally getting to play against a putrid defense.

And props on the music choice @Cloned

Reactions: Cloned

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I figured. 500 after the first 10 games. Ahead of schedule. :thumbu:

Will PVR the game. Do you know if I can watch on optic TV from mexico? I have a VPN so maybe I can fool them i am in Canada.

4-3 Oilers!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Their defense has Gustafsson in the top 4, and Manning as a regular. Time for McDavid to capitalize on finally getting to play against a putrid defense.

Gustafsson has been playing really well, I think. (I have him on a fantasy team, so I've been kind of following him.)

Great possession metrics and 5 points in 11 games.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003

Hopefully the Manning factor gets McDavid up to another level today. Can't believe he's a regular getting 15 minutes a night.

Reactions: ujju2

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I figure it'll take 45 wins to make the playoffs, give or take.

Games are still tough and schedule isn't easy for the next weeks but if they keep it up the good work of the last games things look good.

Two things on my mind:
- what happens/how do they react when the inevitable blowup game occurs? I hope they aren't "fragile"...
- I know there is more parity in the league these days, but still playing good/tough teams and playing weak teams can be very different. Will they manage to dictate games as a strong side or will they struggle?

40 W to go, Go Oilers!!

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad