GDT: G1 Ducks @ Sharks | 7:30 Pac

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
A journeyman like Street can play an effective 10 minutes a night when needed. Lundestrom is more of a question mark in Carlyle's mind.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
We know, unless of course some miraculous late-career blooming, that street is going to have limited impact, if at all. Maybe lundestrum would too, but at this time we also know who the more talented player is and who has more upside. If I'm choosing between two players with probably limited impact then it's going to be the player with the higher upside, because, like you said, who cares? It's a dart throw.
My point. Upside and age are a zero sum game. They mean the same thing. Talent also factors but Street is not talentless. In fact at times he looked pretty good. IMO age, nationality and draft position all taint posters' evaluation of talent, including mine. Anyway this is all academic.

It's just kind of a weird thing to me, unless street has some particular skill that the coaches saw and loved that we don't. Experience with the pace maybe.
Experience generally I think. One, because he knows what's up, and two, Lundestrom really does have upside that street doesn't. I personally wouldn't take any chances with rushing when there's a guy of basically identical impact and more maturity to do the job.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If lundestrum was a 30 year old dude then we would know who he was. We know who street is, he's a guy who hasn't been good enough for the NHL in a 10 year career.

We know, unless of course some miraculous late-career blooming, that street is going to have limited impact, if at all. Maybe lundestrum would too, but at this time we also know who the more talented player is and who has more upside. If I'm choosing between two players with probably limited impact then it's going to be the player with the higher upside, because, like you said, who cares? It's a dart throw.

It's just kind of a weird thing to me, unless street has some particular skill that the coaches saw and loved that we don't. Experience with the pace maybe.

It's probably more that they don't want to burn one of his 9 games on the 4th line. If they are keeping him, they may alternate him and Steel or Comtois (if they want to try Steel at LW) so they can use the young guys until some of the vets are healthy enough/signed to contracts to play.

Reactions: McDonald19

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
My point. Upside and age are a zero sum game. They mean the same thing. Talent also factors but Street is not talentless. In fact at times he looked pretty good. IMO age, nationality and draft position all taint posters' evaluation of talent, including mine. Anyway this is all academic.

Experience generally I think. One, because he knows what's up, and two, Lundestrom really does have upside that street doesn't. I personally wouldn't take any chances with rushing when there's a guy of basically identical impact and more maturity to do the job.
That's fair.

And I'm sure he will score tonight as a middle finger to all of us questioning his inclusion, that's generally how that works.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
FWIW, Burns looked pretty terrible in the final preseason game against VGK. He was directly responsible for two of the three SHG against.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
FWIW, Burns looked pretty terrible in the final preseason game against VGK. He was directly responsible for two of the three SHG against.

I'm somehow hoping that Burns and EK don't work well together for some reason. If they do, we could be looking at Niedermayer / Pronger 2.0. That will just be a long season for everyone.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Fully expect our game to be delayed or switched over late as the Caps have to raise their banner before they play the first game.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm somehow hoping that Burns and EK don't work well together for some reason. If they do, we could be looking at Niedermayer / Pronger 2.0. That will just be a long season for everyone.
Burns is the odd man out in that comparison. Burns is way more inconsistent than both Scott and Chris. Karlsson less so but also nowhere near those guys defensively.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
They won’t have to play together at even strength and on the PP they are too talented not to figure it out.

Sharks have 3 good shutdown guys in Vlasic, Braun, and Dillon

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
We have a really good shot at taking this game, if just for the fact that we're playing a different style of hockey - regardless of their experience with us during preseason. I think that's going to catch them off guard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogernaut

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Not expecting much, but still happy to kick off a new season and see how the kids handle real NHL games. I have to admit that I'm even looking forward to seeing EK and how the Sharks blueline shapes up from a pure hockey appreciation standpoint.

I have a feeling Montour is going to be a big factor for us tonight, dude looks ready to dive tackle the league this season. **** Kane. Go Ducks.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I wouldn’t put much stock into what happened in the preseason. But yeah Burns has never been a standout defensively.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I wouldn’t put much stock into what happened in the preseason. But yeah Burns has never been a standout defensively.
I normally wouldn't either, but he was really bad. Granted we have a banged up roster again, so who knows if it would even matter if he was bad tonight?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
We can all debate Street funny thing is Rowney is the same player who just happens to have an insane contract
I'm not trying to defend the contract that Rowney got, but he is a much more defensive-minded, PK type forward than Street, and Rowney can win some faceoffs. Murray clearly had a type in mind when shopping FAs, and I don't hate the pickup, especially if it means less PK time for Getzlaf, but yes, the contract is still baffling.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
We're 4-19 in openers by my count.

3 of those 4 wins are probably under Boudreau lmao

Detroit Red Wings - Anaheim Ducks - October 8th, 1993 7-2 loss in Anaheim

Anaheim Ducks - Edmonton Oilers - January 20th, 1995 2-1 loss in Edmonton

Anaheim Ducks - Winnipeg Jets (1979) - October 9th, 1995 4-3 loss in Winnipeg

Anaheim Ducks - Toronto Maple Leafs - October 5th, 1996 4-1 loss in Toronto

Anaheim Ducks - Vancouver Canucks - October 3rd, 1997 3-2 loss in Vancouver

Anaheim Ducks - Washington Capitals - October 10th, 1998 1-0 loss in Washington

Anaheim Ducks - Dallas Stars - October 2nd, 1999 2-0 loss in Dallas

Minnesota Wild - Anaheim Ducks - October 6th, 2000 3-1 win in Anaheim

Anaheim Ducks - Boston Bruins - October 4th, 2001 4-2 loss in Boston

Anaheim Ducks - St. Louis Blues - October 10th, 2002 4-3 win in St. Louis

Anaheim Ducks - Dallas Stars - October 8th, 2003 4-1 loss in Dallas

Anaheim Ducks - Chicago Blackhawks - October 5th, 2005 5-3 win in Chicago

Anaheim Ducks - Los Angeles Kings - September 29th, 2007 4-1 loss in London England

Anaheim Ducks - San Jose Sharks - October 9th, 2008 4-2 loss in San Jose

San Jose Sharks - Anaheim Ducks - October 3rd, 2009 4-1 loss in Anaheim

Anaheim Ducks - Detroit Red Wings - October 8th, 2010 4-0 loss in Detroit

Anaheim Ducks - Buffalo Sabres - October 7th, 2011 4-1 loss in Buffalo

Anaheim Ducks - Vancouver Canucks - January 19th, 2013 7-3 win in Vancouver

Anaheim Ducks - Colorado Avalanche - October 2nd, 2013 6-1 loss in Colorado

Anaheim Ducks - Pittsburgh Penguins - October 9th, 2014 6-4 loss in Pittsburgh

Anaheim Ducks - San Jose Sharks - October 10th, 2015 2-0 loss in San Jose

Anaheim Ducks - Dallas Stars - October 13th, 2016 4-2 loss in Dallas

Arizona Coyotes - Anaheim Ducks - October 5th, 2017 5-4 win in Anaheim

Reactions: QuackinQuaker
Oct 18, 2011
We have a really good shot at taking this game, if just for the fact that we're playing a different style of hockey - regardless of their experience with us during preseason. I think that's going to catch them off guard.
Our opening night lineup is one of the worst in the league forward wise. I don't share your optimism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad