G Thatcher Demko (2014, 36th, VAN)

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks aren't worried about Demko but I would be surprised if another goalie isn't drafted this year just to get more buns in the oven.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Canucks aren't worried about Demko but I would be surprised if another goalie isn't drafted this year just to get more buns in the oven.

I'm not worried about Demko. I AM worried about the lack of emphasis on building a competitive squad in Utica. Too many slug pet projects from management. Bring back the proven AHL vets to help develop the youth.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Probably the only prospect I am not concerned about.

Juolevi hasn't taken the step forward most thought
Boeser is hurt

I trust rollie over 95% of all goalie coaches in the league.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
I'm not worried about Demko. I AM worried about the lack of emphasis on building a competitive squad in Utica. Too many slug pet projects from management. Bring back the proven AHL vets to help develop the youth.

Why do Canuck fans keep acting like Utica is some tire fire of a team? They aren't a good team, but they certainly aren't what the Avalanche is in the NHL this year.

Starting to think Canuck fans just need an excuse for Demko's poor play this season....

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Probably the only prospect I am not concerned about.

Juolevi hasn't taken the step forward most thought
Boeser is hurt

I trust rollie over 95% of all goalie coaches in the league.

So you are more worried about Boeser getting hurt and playing poorly than Demko's poor play while healthy?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Their goalie prospect depth behind Demko is embarrassingly bare. They really need to draft a goalie this draft and the next one too. Or draft one + sign an undrafted goalie.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Why do Canuck fans keep acting like Utica is some tire fire of a team? They aren't a good team, but they certainly aren't what the Avalanche is in the NHL this year.

Starting to think Canuck fans just need an excuse for Demko's poor play this season....

who said he is playing poor?

:facepalm: clueless

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Checking in after 2 months... thoughts?

I was watching a marlies game in December and he was sensational.

But apparently his year has been pretty standard with someone adjusting to a new team and league... Very up and down

Started out slow.
Then he had 9 game stretch where he was 6-2-1 with a 1.96GAA and .935sv% according to twitter

Then he tapered off.

Reminds me of frederick anderson..... Slow start, catches fire, tapers off, some good games in between, and now he settling in.

I still think he is the backup if I am not mistaken as well.

Last edited:

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
who said he is playing poor?

:facepalm: clueless

The last time I checked, an .895 sv% is pretty poor, especially for someone who was touted as the best goalie prospect in the world

Let's take a look at the SV% of goaltenders who play on teams that are below Utica in the standings:

Magnus Hellberg - .903
Linus Ullmark - .911
Reto Berra - .907
Mike McKenna - .900
Ondrej Pavelec - .917
Eric Comrie - .911
Lars Johansson - .899
Mac Carruth - .886
Chris Driedger - .911
Matt O'Connor - .893
Spencer Martin - .908
Thatcher Demko - .895

And the best of them all....

Richard Bachman - .910 (who happens to also play for Utica :laugh::laugh::laugh:)

So why does Demko get a pass? And why is the narrative around him that he plays well, but the team lets him down? Because it seems like the same team isn't letting Bachman down...

Last edited:

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary

actually the Utica Comets are a complete tire fire of a team. They are 5 points away from dead last in the league. The team has zero skill players, and even less depth. You can check the Utica thread on the Canucks board to read up on most local Utica fan's complete frustration and disgust with the way management has treated their team.

They went from one NHL GM who understood the value in having a good AHL team, to one (Benning) who has treated the AHL as a complete after thought.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A bigger, more athletic version of Cory Schneider....he's an NHL starter for sure in the pipeline....not "if" but "when".

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The last time I checked, an .895 sv% is pretty poor, especially for someone who was touted as the best goalie prospect in the world

Let's take a look at the SV% of goaltenders who play on teams that are below Utica in the standings:

Magnus Hellberg - .903
Linus Ullmark - .911
Reto Berra - .907
Mike McKenna - .900
Ondrej Pavelec - .917
Eric Comrie - .911
Lars Johansson - .899
Mac Carruth - .886
Chris Driedger - .911
Matt O'Connor - .893
Spencer Martin - .908
Thatcher Demko - .895

Magnus Hellberg - .903 ----25 years old
Linus Ullmark - .911 -------24 years old
Reto Berra - .907 ----------30 years old :laugh:
Mike McKenna - .900 ------33 years old
Ondrej Pavelec - .917 -----31 years old
Eric Comrie - .911 ---------21 years old 2nd year in the ahl
Lars Johansson - .899 -----29 years old
Mac Carruth - .886 ---------25 years old
Chris Driedger - .911 -------23 years old 3rd year as a pro
Matt O'Connor - .893 -------26 years old
Spencer Martin - .908 ------22 but 2nd year in the ahl
Thatcher Demko - .895 -----Just turned 21 a month ago

and yet none are rookies.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Funny how far a little context goes
such a simpleton comment

I don't think anyone should be. The worrying should come next season if it's the same story.

exactly

Last edited:

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Don't A LOT of goalies struggle through their first time in the AHL

Corey Crawford
Pekka Rinne
Bobby Luu
Dubnyk all didn't have great numbers.

Look up schnieder's numbers when he first started, he only poured it on late in the season his first 20 games were worse than Demko's

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Way too early to be yelling bust.

I know a lot of my fellow Flames fans have been worrying about Gilles transition after it was shaky coming from the NCAA, but goalies take time. Same logic should be used by Canucks fans.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn't worry, but at the same time, I find it hard to rank him above any of the three Russian goalies, given his struggles. All three have save percentages at least .030 points higher, with the highest being .042 points higher. Thats a big margin. The KHL is also a better league than the AHL.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
I wouldn't worry, but at the same time, I find it hard to rank him above any of the three Russian goalies, given his struggles. All three have save percentages at least .030 points higher, with the highest being .042 points higher. Thats a big margin. The KHL is also a better league than the AHL.

da299930fbb727870dda71ea73ec2448.png

e61cb334c5b7ca63b3985e191a2b40e0.png

See the difference?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad