G Thatcher Demko (2014, 36th, VAN)

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I used to help train this kid when he was 16-17. He fills up the net quite nice. Has the physical tools to be an NHL goalie. But, like all goalies, it's all about composure. I think his recent national team experience has helped a lot in that regard.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
He has a ton of potential. It will be interesting to see how he deals with most likely being the starting goalie at BC as a true freshman. The first half of the NCAA season should tell a lot.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Has now earned the starter after spending the first half of the season in a rotation, Demko is joining elite category of goaltenders in college hockey. Last night in his first game since York came out with ending the rotation, he out dueled Jon Gillies and came away with a shutout against Providence. With 30 saves he's brought his save percentage up to .927 and his GAA sits at 1.9756.

Came up with some huge, acrobatic saves to hold a very aggressive PC team. I knew he was very technically sound, but his athleticism and side to side explosiveness have really impressed me. He's really starting to shoot up draft charts from the likes of Bob Mckenzie and Future Considerations.

Some good quotes on Demko from York,
"I thought Thatcher played extremely well in goal for us. He's just getting better and better as he gets more exposed, more games and gains experience," said Jerry York. "For an 18 year old player he's a really special player. I thought he was outstanding tonight," added the coach.

"He's kind of a mature kid. He played at the NTDP level. He's gone from San Diego to Boston for school. He's got a lot of maturity for a young kid," said York.

Thatcher Demko, Boston College shut out Providence

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Really wish the isles had not drafted goalies last year. I love this kid after watching him this year he's so impressive. The way he moves with how big he is is really great.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Really wish the isles had not drafted goalies last year. I love this kid after watching him this year he's so impressive. The way he moves with how big he is is really great.

If he's available with our 2nd round pick, I hope the Isles really consider him. Another developmental goalie wouldn't be a bad thing. Like most goalies, he's many years away from sniffing the NHL. Let him finish all 4 years of college and get AHL time. If he's the goods, he's ready to make an impact in 5 years. Anything earlier is a bonus.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If he's available with our 2nd round pick, I hope the Isles really consider him. Another developmental goalie wouldn't be a bad thing. Like most goalies, he's many years away from sniffing the NHL. Let him finish all 4 years of college and get AHL time. If he's the goods, he's ready to make an impact in 5 years. Anything earlier is a bonus.

I agree 100%.

I just feel that Garth doesn't.

We still have poulin and Nilsson. Koskinen is out property. And lasted year we drafted 2 goalies.
If he is BPA and we have a chance to draft him I hope Garth takes him and doesn't shy away because we have other goalies. I don't really see a top flight goalie in our system. Demko would have the most potential that we had in a goalie since we drafted dipietro.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010

Ya I hadn't seen him play before BC and his athleticism/agility is what has impressed me most. A lot of goalies get the techniques down and find themselves in the right place at the right time, but it's a big separation factor. Pretty wild that he's only 17.

The thing he needs to work on a bit, as is the most case with goalies his age, is rebound control. He's already pretty deft at dampening shots, more directional at this stage. It's already gotten better since the beginning of the year and just going to continue that way. Having Mike Ayers coaching him is also a huge asset.

I'd be shocked if he fell out of the first round, especially with this draft's quality. I'm thinking somewhere more in the middle of the first round.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agree 100%.

I just feel that Garth doesn't.

We still have poulin and Nilsson. Koskinen is out property. And lasted year we drafted 2 goalies.
If he is BPA and we have a chance to draft him I hope Garth takes him and doesn't shy away because we have other goalies. I don't really see a top flight goalie in our system. Demko would have the most potential that we had in a goalie since we drafted dipietro.

Demko is a Boston College kid, not a Boston University guy like DiPietro so we're kind of safe there in the bad juju department. Demko would immediately become our best developmental goalie in terms of pedigree and situation. BC is a perennial power and they get a ton of talented commits every year, it's a talent pipeline. No offense to Penn State (Williams) and Minnesota State (McAdam), but they're not BC. I get the sense that Koskinen is no longer going to be part of the Isles future.

I would be thrilled if we get him in the 2nd. He's in Boston, so he has to know how to play HAHD and SMAHT Hockey. The Isles would be all over him like flies on poop. Although he's a native California kid so he might not have the accent to please the coaching staff. That's a big minus. :sarcasm:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ya I hadn't seen him play before BC and his athleticism/agility is what has impressed me most. A lot of goalies get the techniques down and find themselves in the right place at the right time, but it's a big separation factor. Pretty wild that he's only 17.

The thing he needs to work on a bit, as is the most case with goalies his age, is rebound control. He's already pretty deft at dampening shots, more directional at this stage. It's already gotten better since the beginning of the year and just going to continue that way. Having Mike Ayers coaching him is also a huge asset.

I'd be shocked if he fell out of the first round, especially with this draft's quality. I'm thinking somewhere more in the middle of the first round.

I can see the Blackhawks going at him if he is still around when we pick. Crawford and Raanta are fine, but we really do not have that young goalie in the ranks that can step up and be the man. We have a lot of decent kids like Simpson and Carruth, but Demko would be a prize to get tail end of the first round if the Hawks want him.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Buffalo will need another American goalie in the system after Miller is gone. :sarcasm:

I predicted us to take Connor Hurley last year months before the draft, this guy is my next American prediction for us.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Buffalo will need another American goalie in the system after Miller is gone. :sarcasm:

I predicted us to take Connor Hurley last year months before the draft, this guy is my next American prediction for us.

Demko joining the first overall discussion?:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

GalchenyukSting*

Just don't rush it like Rick the Dick:laugh:

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Playing BU tonight at 8pm. If youre curious, its on NESN so I bet you can find a pretty good free online stream somewhere.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia

Well if we are able to get a late first plus for MacDonald we can use that pick on Demko.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I can see the Blackhawks going at him if he is still around when we pick. Crawford and Raanta are fine, but we really do not have that young goalie in the ranks that can step up and be the man. We have a lot of decent kids like Simpson and Carruth, but Demko would be a prize to get tail end of the first round if the Hawks want him.
Im warming up to the idea of taking Demko late first round.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Showed incredible poise and calmness is net tonight against Northeastern. Faced a few big time storms from Northeastern in the 1st and 2nd coming up huge all but one time. 29 saves, with 16 in the first period alone where Northeastern came out flying.

Great composure from the kid, he's really risen up to the occasion since being named starter. He's just getting better and better the more he plays. He'll probably get one night off next weekend against Vermont and depending on standings, maybe another one off against Umass Lowell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad