G Thatcher Demko (2014, 36th, VAN)

BoLIEVE

Feb 26, 2016
In his last seven starts Thatcher Demko is 7-0-0 with a 1.00 GAA, 0.965 SV% and 2 S/O.

Another shutout. Guy has been purely amazing lately. Only reason the comets have a chance at making the playoffs. He needs to be given starter minutes, seems to be better when he's the starter.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I didn't realize Demko struggled early in the year. His save percentage is up to .909. His number the last 7 games are unreal. What save percentage was he rocking before he turned his game around, like an .890? That's a pretty big jump. Good for him to finish out the season on a strong note.

He's been amazing any time he's been relied on to carry the bulk of the starts in the AHL. When Bachman was injured, he did something like 6 games and a .958 save percentage. Now Markstrom is injured, Bachman up in the NHL, and he's on a 7 game .965 save percentage streak. He was really struggling when what they were doing is playing Backman 2 out of every 3 games and Demko only 1 out of 3, his save percentage was pretty bad and didn't seem like he could get into a groove. Pretty normal for young goalies to be streaky though.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He's going to really challenge for a spot next year, but we will see. Nilsson is signed for another season after this one (another Benning special) so it may delay things a bit, or Nilsson will be traded/waived. If he can guide the Comets to a playoff appearance and maybe even win a round or take it 6-7 games, that would be great.

His numbers are fantastic.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Just no chance hes not with us next season wheather in a backup role or challenging for the starter. Our current two guys are both backups

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks 'goalie of the future' could be the 'goalie of the present' next season.....a nice stretch run in Utica and hopefully a playoff run in the AHL and he'll be ready. Next guy up in the queue for the Canucks is Mike DiPietro......different kind of puck-stopper than Demko, but will be interesting to see what he can do in the AHL.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
After 24 games this season in the AHL Demko is 13-6-3 with a .927 sv% and a 2.34 GAA. Was also named to the AHL all star game. IMO he's had a solid development path, similar to Corey Schneider's. Probably will start backing up next season.
Too bad we don't have a goalie as good as Luongo at the moment to give him another year of AHL seasoning.

HockeyRobinson

Jun 6, 2015
Victoria, BC
Demko is almost assuredly be back in Utica next season unless Vancouver full loses belief in Nilsson and cuts him. Otherwise its one more year in the AHL then he'll step up in 2019-20 to be in a likely platoon role with Markstrom

He should be the guy in 2020-21

His developmental arc is going almost perfectly to plan.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I really wish as a guy who wanted Demko in Columbas and was hoping he would be ours by like the 2nd round he would get moved up to the NHL as a 1B next year. He's too good and needs consecutive starts to stay on his game. Haven't seen someone his skill set oddly enough since one of your old goalies in Schneider. Helly in WPG is another. IMO you have the best goalie prospect in the league and who will lead the next pack of young goalies. Good luck to him and your AHL team hoping they make the playoffs!!

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Thank God Calgary passed on him for Mason Mcdonald
It wasnt even like a rated higher kind of pass either. Demko was clearly the best goalie in the draft and Calgary goes out of their way to select McDonald... Who is currently struggling to break .900sv% in the ECHL lol

Thanks Calgary.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
It wasnt even like a rated higher kind of pass either. Demko was clearly the best goalie in the draft and Calgary goes out of their way to select McDonald... Who is currently struggling to break .900sv% in the ECHL lol

Thanks Calgary.
Do you think it was a Canadian thing they wanted the guy who would be a starter for the Canadian WJC? I think he was a Canadian kid... him and a Blackwood or something? I rarely keep up with goalie prospects sorry if I sound stupid here haha I'm remembering names from the tourney back then and flames fans arguing how good MacDonald actually was haha

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Do you think it was a Canadian thing they wanted the guy who would be a starter for the Canadian WJC? I think he was a Canadian kid... him and a Blackwood or something? I rarely keep up with goalie prospects sorry if I sound stupid here haha I'm remembering names from the tourney back then and flames fans arguing how good MacDonald actually was haha
I dont think it was a Canadian thing... because people rarely take that into consideration when drafting (minus Russia I guess). It honestly was just a Jay Feaster thing I think... See Mark Jankowski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad