G Thatcher Demko (2014, 36th, VAN)

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
I wouldn't worry, but at the same time, I find it hard to rank him above any of the three Russian goalies, given his struggles. All three have save percentages at least .030 points higher, with the highest being .042 points higher. Thats a big margin. The KHL is also a better league than the AHL.

What are the actual numbers though because once there is a zero after the decimal it isnt very much most of the time.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Comparing AHL and KHL..... Shestorkin and sorokin play on STACKED rosters.

Notice how even 35 year old victor fasth who is sorokin's backup has even better stats than him.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
da299930fbb727870dda71ea73ec2448.png

e61cb334c5b7ca63b3985e191a2b40e0.png

See the difference?

Tougher to score on the big ice, I agree, but these guys are up near the top of their league, Demko's not even playing at a starter's level in the AHL.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Way too early to be yelling bust.

I know a lot of my fellow Flames fans have been worrying about Gilles transition after it was shaky coming from the NCAA, but goalies take time. Same logic should be used by Canucks fans.

exactly. no need to worry until you need to worry.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Most people struggle their first ahl season. HF members freak out every time.

It's part of the bi-polar nature of this place. The thing that stands out for me is the Utica Comets are barely better than the Manitoba moose as far as points percentage is concerned, but Eric Comrie is rocking a .911 save percentage, while Thatcher Demko has a .895. Could be just his first year jitters as another poster as mentioned, but 21 years of age of still exceptionally young as far as professional hockey players are concerned.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He is playing some fantastic hockey again, won 5 games in a row, up t o .905% now. AHL average is around .908

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He is playing some fantastic hockey again, won 5 games in a row, up t o .905% now. AHL average is around .908

4 goals allowed in his last 5 starts against. Why are the Canuck prospect followers not talking about him?

Werenski

Dec 24, 2016
Cory Schneider struggled in his first AHL season as well.

Goalies are a headcase to try and gauge this early in their career, how many 18-20 yr old goalies were going to be the "next big thing" only to sputter and flame out. Bernier? Justin Pogge lol

Give it at least 2 more years, if Demko isn't putting up good numbers in AHL by 2019-2020 or playing decent back up in NHL at the time, then yes, can hit the big red panic button.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
4 goals allowed in his last 5 starts against. Why are the Canuck prospect followers not talking about him?

Calm it lawrence its only 5 games hes done this already this year and then went inconsistent so we need to be more patient and see if he keeps this up for the rest of the year. Its what we hoped for but lets see if still inconsistency for him or if hes turned a corner. Encouraging yes thats for sure hopefully its the beginning but we thought that last time too. Chill

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's going to be really good, he's very technical in the crease and he's finally implementing the style that Melanson wants him to play.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Cory Schneider struggled in his first AHL season as well.

Goalies are a headcase to try and gauge this early in their career, how many 18-20 yr old goalies were going to be the "next big thing" only to sputter and flame out. Bernier? Justin Pogge lol

Give it at least 2 more years, if Demko isn't putting up good numbers in AHL by 2019-2020 or playing decent back up in NHL at the time, then yes, can hit the big red panic button.

First year goalies often get the techniques changed by the pro-level coaches. It takes time to learn and perfect the changes and perform then instinctually. It's part of the reason most 1st year pro-goalies don't play as full-time starters even at AHL level.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He's been a bit streaky this season, so you know he has it in him. It's not like he's just been muddling along with consistently-average games. He'll go through stretches of 5 great games followed by 10 mediocre games. But the team has been bad too. The fact that Demko has actually stolen a few games this year shows he has what it takes to improve. It's not like Bachman has been a monster or anything, either.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Thatcher Demko is 6-0-0 with a 0.960 SV%, 1.17 GAA and 1 S/O

In his last 6 starts :)

no wonder this place is a ghost town.

thanks for the update.

Seems like he's been much better since bachman got called up and he had to play more minutes.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Another shutout today, I find it hilarious how quiet Canucks prospects threads get quiet when they're doing well

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Another shutout today, I find it hilarious how quiet Canucks prospects threads get quiet when they're doing well

What are you talking about. Boeser and Gaudette have been front and center with people raving about their play. I mean other teams have prospects playing just as well that don't get that kind of attention. This last hot streak by Demko is the only time it didn't get much attention. But guess what, it is now. Always the victim.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Actually it is heating up in our forum about him. His topic. Not sure what your complaint is. Also some fans dont like the Canucks and will bring it up when our prospects suck. Im sure some of our fans do that with other teams prospects too. Not really sure where the problem is here. And as I mentioned eearlier in the thread or maybe was in the Canucks forum thread about Demko that he expectingly has had inconsistencies this year so no one is going too crazy. But I admit this time seems a lil different as its not just two or three hot starts mixed with a bad performance its SEVEN amazing starts in a row. I think the time to get excited about him is sooner then later but I wanna be a lil patient with him. Think Uticas starter next year is whats to best happen for him :)

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Was at the game today. Demko was big, sharp, technically sound. He will be an NHL'er. Didnt notice Virtanan once.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I didn't realize Demko struggled early in the year. His save percentage is up to .909. His number the last 7 games are unreal. What save percentage was he rocking before he turned his game around, like an .890? That's a pretty big jump. Good for him to finish out the season on a strong note.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad