Confirmed with Link: (G)Sergei Bobrovsky 7yr @ 10 mil

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Heres my prediction for Bob in Florida.

The positive prediction:

1) he plays the best hockey of his life and becomes one if not the greatest of the generation. And retires with honour.

The negative prediction:

2) he suddenly realizes that the panthers wont block as many shots for him + some other differences in the system as well. This will make him frustrated and he wont be able to fix this. A down spiral follows ending up with a Bryz v2.0 'too weird/too bad/too expensive" situation 2-3 years down the road.

Im fully aware how black and white these predictions are yet its my gut thats talking here. Plus certain bits and pieces of facts and my personal estimate of his psyche

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Heres my prediction for Bob in Florida.

The positive prediction:

1) he plays the best hockey of his life and becomes one if not the greatest of the generation. And retires with honour.

The negative prediction:

2) he suddenly realizes that the panthers wont block as many shots for him + some other differences in the system as well. This will make him frustrated and he wont be able to fix this. A down spiral follows ending up with a Bryz v2.0 'too weird/too bad/too expensive" situation 2-3 years down the road.

Im fully aware how black and white these predictions are yet its my gut thats talking here. Plus certain bits and pieces of facts and my personal estimate of his psyche
Yes, those could be the positive and negative outcome options, but what’s much more interesting is what the probabilities for each are.

I think it’s 80-20 in favor of positive.

Reactions: Madifer

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Yes, those could be the positive and negative outcome options, but what’s much more interesting is what the probabilities for each are.

I think it’s 80-20 in favor of positive.

I think it goes:
  1. less than 5% he becomes the "greatest of the generation."
  2. Around 85% he continues to be a top 5 goalie who makes us a perennial playoff team.
  3. less than 10% he crashes and burns

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I think it goes:
  2. Around 85% he continues to be a top 5 goalie who makes us a perennial playoff team.
I hope more than i think thats how it'll go.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think it goes:
I could live with that.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Been watching Bob post instagram videos of him doing front flips and forward handsprings on trampolines, and cartwheels on a balance beam. Can't tell if he's training for hockey or gymnastics but its awesome how athletic he is. Cant imagine Lu doing the things he's doing

Reactions: CHGoalie27

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How many games is everyone comfortable with Bob playing this year?
Assuming we need him to be somewhat rested for playoffs?
We may not have the luxury to limit his games down the stretch just to get in.

60?
65?
70?
70+ seems very unlikely.

*Keeping in mind we have 16 back to backs*

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

60?
65?
70?
70+ seems very unlikely.

hard to say, depends on a lot of things. Fewer the better obviously so he's fresh for the playoffs. I say make sure ride him through most of October to get a good start, with Monty doing whatever back-to-backs we have. Then let Monty take on more games if we're ahead a bit to see how he handles it.

If Monty does well and team is in good position, then let Bob rest. If we're still on the bubble in December/January, like 6-8th place or something like that, then ride Bob all the way until he breaks so we get into playoffs.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

60?
65?
70?
70+ seems very unlikely.

60 minimum.

I think Q rides him this season to see how far he can go. For 10 million, I hope fatigue is not a factor down the stretch.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

60?
65?
70?
70+ seems very unlikely.

I didn’t know what top goalies have done in the past so I looked it up. Brodeur routinely played 74-75-76-77 games. Kiprusoff too. I don’t know if there were any b2b’s in there.

I’d start by assuming a minimum of 66. If he plays any more than that they’ll be b2b’s but maybe he can handle a couple. So maybe 70-72 total max.

Stay healthy Bobbi Rovski.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I didn’t know what top goalies have done in the past so I looked it up. Brodeur routinely played 74-75-76-77 games. Kiprusoff too. I don’t know if there were any b2b’s in there.

I’d start by assuming a minimum of 66. If he plays any more than that they’ll be b2b’s but maybe he can handle a couple. So maybe 70-72 total max.

Stay healthy Bobbi Rovski.

Yeah but game is different nowadays. It's faster, there's more lateral movement, just more tiring on all players in general, goalies included. Optimal is 55-60 for a starter nowadays to keep the wear and tear down heading into playoffs while keeping them sharp. Last goalie to win the stanley cup and play more than 60 games was MAF back in 2009 when he was in his 20's.

Reactions: I am not exposed

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'll say 60. Starters don't play as much anymore. At the same time, at his salary, he has to get 60 at least lol

Yeah but game is different nowadays. It's faster, there's more lateral movement, just more tiring on all players in general, goalies included. Optimal is 55-60 for a starter nowadays to keep the wear and tear down heading into playoffs while keeping them sharp. Last goalie to win the stanley cup and play more than 60 games was MAF back in 2009 when he was in his 20's.

Quick?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Been watching Bob post instagram videos of him doing front flips and forward handsprings on trampolines, and cartwheels on a balance beam. Can't tell if he's training for hockey or gymnastics but its awesome how athletic he is. Cant imagine Lu doing the things he's doing
There was a post on his insta(which he deleted now? i can't find it) at the start of the summer where he did "a flip" from the boat, it was ugly, lol. He captioned it with "stretching is fine, desperately need an acrobatic coach". Apparently he wasn't joking.

Reactions: BeezKnees

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL

60?
65?
70?
70+ seems very unlikely.

Probably depends on how Monty performs in his early starts. In other words, will he gain Q's trust? If not, I can see Q riding Bobrovsky for long stretches.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

60?
65?
70?
70+ seems very unlikely.

I'll say 86

60 in the regular season ;)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Feel Bob will be relied upon heavily through that 16 in 20 stretch at home (mid NOV to mid DEC) where he will probably play 17-18 of those 20 games.

We have 4 back to backs in that 20 game span and two of those b2b's are travel days/home game than away game or vica versa.
Those travel days would be where Monty steps in but that home-stand will be the major defining point in the season for us.

Let Bob eat heavy to start the year as we need to be 4-5 wins above .500 before that home stretch starts at game #18 imo. Would be nice to be 7-8 games over .500 at the #41 game mark.
He shouldn't get too burnt out not having to travel as much.
Give Monty some more consistent starts come late December/early January and then we have our bye week starting January 22nd to let Bob rest and gear up for the final 32 games.

Think he will play 68 games this year

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Bob was interviewed when he did his training camp in Vierumäki, Finland. The video is English although the article is in Finnish. So if you want to listen to his thoughts I suggest that you watch that interview. The article has also comments from his goaltending and physical coaches.
NHL:n eliittimaalivahti ajautui karuun kierteeseen, kaksi suomalaismiestä puuttui peliin ja hänestä tuli taas NHL:n paras – "Totesimme että tämä ei voi enää jatkua"

Cant watch it. Seems to be restricted here in Greece. I tried a VPN, but its still not playing for me. Anyone else having the same issue?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad