Confirmed with Link: (G)Sergei Bobrovsky 7yr @ 10 mil

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but you don't think that it'll take some time to find some consistency with a new system being implemented?

I think...barring injury to a major contributor...they'll be much more effective in the 2nd half of the season overall, and will need Bob to be "Vezina Bob" very early on to compensate for the early inconsistencies. Top 3 in the division might be a bit of a pipe dream in the 1st year under Q, certainly not an impossibility, but those other teams(Boston, Toronto, and Tampa) may have lost players, may have key older players that are a year older(especially in Bostons case), but their systems are relatively the same, so they have the advantage until we are shown otherwise, IMO.

Honestly we have too much talent, if they dont get off to a hot start, I could see Dale changing up the core. Not selling the season obviously but I dont see them accepting any more passengers.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
We are a better team than Toronto. They barely made it into the playoffs last season. I don't think they'll miss, but 100 pts. really isn't that impressive. I don't think they'll do much better this season. While they gained some additions, I think them losing Marleau and Kadri is going to hurt more than they think. Even though there might be some growing pains early on, I think we should be a top 3 team in the division. We have too much talent.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
What if bob knowing he is set up for life and probably wont sign another contract after that one doesn't give it 100 percent anymore? Do you guys think that he lost some of his drive and competitiveness given those circumstances?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
What if bob knowing he is set up for life and probably wont sign another contract after that one doesn't give it 100 percent anymore? Do you guys think that he lost some of his drive and competitiveness given those circumstances?

You can say that about any free agent. But generally these guys are driven by professional pride and accomplishment. You don't become one of the best goalies in the world without really high personal drive. It's not just all about the money.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

He was going to be set up for life no matter where or how much he signed for. He turned down 72M from Columbus a year ago. It's not all about money for him.

Reactions: Boothinator

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009

He has not even won a cup yet

Sure, he was UFA and cashed in. You usually only get one big chance as a UFA

I dont understand why some guys on here have to question everything. Cant you just stop with all the negativity?!

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
He has not even won a cup yet

Sure, he was UFA and cashed in. You usually only get one big chance as a UFA

I dont understand why some guys on here have to question everything. Cant you just stop with all the negativity?!
Yup. It’s annoying but I ignore it.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We are a better team than Toronto. They barely made it into the playoffs last season. I don't think they'll miss, but 100 pts. really isn't that impressive. I don't think they'll do much better this season. While they gained some additions, I think them losing Marleau and Kadri is going to hurt more than they think. Even though there might be some growing pains early on, I think we should be a top 3 team in the division. We have too much talent.
They also picked up Barrie and Ceci on the backend, though

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Valid concerns are not negativity.

Apparently bashing the team, the coach, and the defense core all year last year isnt either.... Shhhhh!
Pointing out incessant complaining after the team was improved substantially is a reasonable position to take.

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I don't think there is that much of a gap between the four of us (Tampa, Boston, Toronto) and even Buffalo did some good move and could be in the mix (as it is tradition in the offseason).
I wouldn't be too surprise if the Atlantic (if healthyish) send 5 teams to the playoffs.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Pointing out incessant complaining after the team was improved substantially is a reasonable position to take.
Dismissing 100% valid concerns is not. Lots of people have huge double standards when deciding when things are appropriate for other people and not themselves, welcome to that group.

I happen to agree with your reasoning on this one, but I do find it very rich, that you of all people are calling out the "complainers".

A single post in a thread dedicated to that one player is not what I would call incessant, to each their own I suppose.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Yeah I know they made some additions, but losing Marleau and Kadri is gonna hurt. Kerfoot and Spezza gonna replace that? I'm not buying it. They really didn't gain that much.
Also lost Gardiner, Zaitsev, and Hainsey, tough to call it adding to the team.

And Connor Brown.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
With UFAs on max term and on the wrong side of 31, you won't ever get only positivity.

I'm hoping for the best and I'm actually really excited about we are going to have Bob in goal, just been thinking the other day how many of those former UFAs on their last big deal are actually just more or less cruising into retirement, maybe for those guys almost miraculously suddenly falling of a cliff (e.g. Lucic, James Neal, plenty more...) that could play a significant part as well, apart from aging and injuries. I remember it was suggested that Vrbata did just that when playing for us 2 years back, although it was only a lucrative 1 year deal.

On the other hand, I understand that those guys are hockey crazy, the most competitive ppl on the planet and just love what they do, independently of the money they are earning. But I'm certain there has to be the occasional player who is just in it for the money at some point.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
With UFAs on max term and on the wrong side of 31, you won't ever get only positivity.

I'm hoping for the best and I'm actually really excited about we are going to have Bob in goal, just been thinking the other day how many of those former UFAs on their last big deal are actually just more or less cruising into retirement, maybe for those guys almost miraculously suddenly falling of a cliff (e.g. Lucic, James Neal, plenty more...) that could play a significant part as well, apart from aging and injuries. I remember it was suggested that Vrbata did just that when playing for us 2 years back, although it was only a lucrative 1 year deal.

On the other hand, I understand that those guys are hockey crazy, the most competitive ppl on the planet and just love what they do, independently of the money they are earning. But I'm certain there has to be the occasional player who is just in it for the money at some point.

Bob doesnt seem like the type, and we just had Luongo who we basically had to retire at 39 years old, I am more concerned about years 6 and 7 and what we do then if Knight is ready for full time duty.

As a franchise we have been blessed overall with really good goalies. Hopefully that trend continues.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Didn't we go 2-2 vs Boston last year? No reason to expect anything less, we should be right there with them and Toronto. Tampa is an excellent regular team season though, not sure we'll as consistent as them but all we need is the playoffs. Couldn't care less about regular season.

Last edited:

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Didn't we go 2-2 vs Boston last year? No reason to expect anything less, we should be right there with them and Toronto. Tampa is an excellent regular team season though, not sure we'll as consistent as them but all we need is the playoffs. Couldn't care less about regular season.
That’s Panthers hockey though, we’ll beat the likes of Tampa or something then lose to Coyotes next day against their backup...

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

CBJ fan coming in peace.

that is very unlikely to happen given the level of crazies in Bob's head. He is a VERY hard working competitive nutjob. Yet his psyche is very frail, and that is the biggest concern for your team imo.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

There is always that chance.
But you could also look it like he's set for life and has a place to live and build his life and can only focus on hockey.

Bergeron& Marchand are playing their best hockey on UFA deals.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Dismissing 100% valid concerns is not. Lots of people have huge double standards when deciding when things are appropriate for other people and not themselves, welcome to that group.

I happen to agree with your reasoning on this one, but I do find it very rich, that you of all people are calling out the "complainers".

A single post in a thread dedicated to that one player is not what I would call incessant, to each their own I suppose.
My opinion (note the word) is that, quite apart from by general disapproval and disappointment of how Tallon has handled things during his tenure, Dale actually worked very hard to make the team much better in this offseason, and did it immediately as FA opened. He possibly did a better job in FA than any Panthers GM has. In addition, he got Q. This team has a chance to make a push, and like the Blues, anything can happen.

There is always a place for legitimate criticism. There is always a place for pointing out frivolous or just plain unnecessary complaining before a single game has been played. Everyone gets to draw their own line where legitimate crosses to frivolous. That’s all there is to my opinion.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
The only concern I have about the team is their lack of physicality.

That should be fine during the regular season but when the playoffs start and the refs put away their whistles I'm worried that players like Barkov or Borgstrom will get beat up pretty bad.

I hope that if they are in a playoff spot at the deadline Dale picks up some "heavy" players for the playoff run.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The only concern I have about the team is their lack of physicality.

That should be fine during the regular season but when the playoffs start and the refs put away their whistles I'm worried that players like Barkov or Borgstrom will get beat up pretty bad.

I hope that if they are in a playoff spot at the deadline Dale picks up some "heavy" players for the playoff run.
Barkov is probably the epitome of "gentlemanly"player. I think he could hold his own when things get rougher. I'm still waiting to see what happens if someone manages to really piss him off. I think I saw him almost get mad once last year.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Reactions: KW and Ratsreign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad