Confirmed with Link: (G)Sergei Bobrovsky 7yr @ 10 mil

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I'll put my account of Saves by Bob that wouldn't have been made last year here.

After last nights 13 minutes of action, I actually had him making 2 saves. That puts him at 18 saves in 9 games.

Reactions: Boothinator

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I'll put my account of Saves by Bob that wouldn't have been made last year here.

After last nights 13 minutes of action, I actually had him making 2 saves. That puts him at 18 saves in 9 games.

In all respect, what's the point of doing that?

He's allowed 3,79 goals per games. So you're saying that Reimer would have been over 5.00?

I don't think that relevant.

If Bob made saves that wouldn't have been made last year, then clearly, the opposite is also true.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

I have to agree with @sinDer

It seems unlikely that Reimer/Lou last year would've given up two more goals per game.

Bob's been good but not great so far, I think he'll be making more saves as the season progresses.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
In all respect, what's the point of doing that?

He's allowed 3,79 goals per games. So you're saying that Reimer would have been over 5.00?

I don't think that relevant.

If Bob made saves that wouldn't have been made last year, then clearly, the opposite is also true.

I have to agree with @sinDer

It seems unlikely that Reimer/Lou last year would've given up two more goals per game.

Bob's been good but not great so far, I think he'll be making more saves as the season progresses.

I'm thinking even if you divide the number by 2, he's definitely saved that many goals (9) this year that wouldn't have been saved last year.

I'm judging with my own eyes. You've seen the games, you seen the saves, they were really good saves. Not sure they would have been made last season by the goalies we had.

Reactions: pantherbot

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I'm thinking even if you divide the number by 2, he's definitely saved that many goals (9) this year that wouldn't have been saved last year.

I'm judging with my own eyes. You've seen the games, you seen the saves, they were really good saves. Not sure they would have been made last season by the goalies we had.
I agree with you. Bob has been clearly better than Lu/Reims last season. I get it that you’re trying to measure this improvement in some way, your method isn’t bad.

Of course, your results don’t mean that Lu/Reims would have necessarily allowed 2 more goals per game, because with one of those two in net the flow of the game would have been different. You’re only saying Bob has saved shots that would have gone in last year. That doesn’t imply anything about scoring opportunities given because of poor play.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I generally agree and appreciate your keeping count.

However, I just want to point out that Reimer is having a decent season behind a solid defence in Carolina. Meanwhile, bob has been pretty good but has dismal numbers... I'll leave the conclusions for others to make...

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I generally agree and appreciate your keeping count.

However, I just want to point out that Reimer is having a decent season behind a solid defence in Carolina. Meanwhile, bob has been pretty good but has dismal numbers... I'll leave the conclusions for others to make...

I agree with this statement. I'm not saying our defense is lights out really good, or that Q's system is miraculously better than last year, I'm just stating that in this system, with this defense (that basically the same as last year), Bob has made a few more saves that I don't believe would have been made last year.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

I had Bob with two saves tonight that wouldn't have been made last year.

That puts him at 20 saves in 10 games.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
When I saw that thread on the main board trying to criticize the contract one month into a seven year deal:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kid Icarus and MaWa

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
It led to the first goal.

That's not a reasonable expectation. The puck did a weird bounce hitting I can't remember which Panther player's legs in front, bounced a few times, then there's a 2 foot shot from in close, that's going to create a rebound every time. Then the Colorado player gets to the loose puck first and scores.

That's just another example of how our defense failed to protect the front of the net. Those kinds of rebounds WILL happen. It's the D's job to either clear them, tie up the opposition, and make sure we get there first.

Literally a couple minutes after that goal, Bob has to make a ridiculous across the crease save that many goalies would have let in.

I keep reading "expert" opinions on how Bob has sucked and his contract was dumb. They all just cite the stats, and there is absolutely zero chance they have actually watched all of his games. He has been playing just fine, maybe not at elite level yet, but certainly better than our stats would suggest.

I mean, look at Reimer's stats now with Carolina, they are basically back to his career averages. Yeah Bob historically starts slow, but again that's just looking at stats. The guy has consistently been one of the best goalies in the league, he joins us and he's suddenly a .870 goalie? What's more likely, that our defense still sucks like last year or that Bob forgot how to be a goalie?

Put another way, with our dumpster fire defense, what would be a record without Bob in net? No way we would have survived October above .500

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I mean, look at Reimer's stats now with Carolina, they are basically back to his career averages. Yeah Bob historically starts slow, but again that's just looking at stats. The guy has consistently been one of the best goalies in the league, he joins us and he's suddenly a .870 goalie? What's more likely, that our defense still sucks like last year or that Bob forgot how to be a goalie?

Put another way, with our dumpster fire defense, what would be a record without Bob in net? No way we would have survived October above .500
Bob had worse stats than Reimer all the way to December and he has been declining these past few seasons. Maybe he'll wake up again in February, who knows.

Our ratio of GA vs xGA is the worse in the league with NJ (another team with terrible goaltending). The excuse making for Bob is ridiculous, two years ago behind the same defense Reimer was at .913 and Luongo .928 . I'm not sure why we should be okay with Bob playing worse than Reimer did with us.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I like stats just as much as the next guy, but in this instance they are lying. Last year's "slow start" also coincided with CBJ playing like dog poop and team turmoil because their two best players were set to leave.

Bob has unquestionably been a top-5 goalie for several years now. The only criticism you can maybe make is his lack of success in the playoffs, but again the CBJ teams also played poorly and last year he just shut down the most prolific offense seen since Gretzky.

Do you seriously believe the stats are reflective of Bobrovsky's play? That he is actually a 0.870 sv% and 3.70 GAA goalie? Because if so, then we should just buy him out now, take the hit, and tank the rest of the season. I don't know how anyone can watch Bob's play so far this season and say he's been below average.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I like stats just as much as the next guy, but in this instance they are lying. Last year's "slow start" also coincided with CBJ playing like dog poop and team turmoil because their two best players were set to leave.

Bob has unquestionably been a top-5 goalie for several years now. The only criticism you can maybe make is his lack of success in the playoffs, but again the CBJ teams also played poorly and last year he just shut down the most prolific offense seen since Gretzky.

Do you seriously believe the stats are reflective of Bobrovsky's play? That he is actually a 0.870 sv% and 3.70 GAA goalie? Because if so, then we should just buy him out now, take the hit, and tank the rest of the season. I don't know how anyone can watch Bob's play so far this season and say he's been below average.
The blame the goalie above all else mentality on this board is sad. Our D definitely did not play like this in front of Reimer or Luo. They were bad but not this bad. For whatever reason the last two years our D has been atrocious.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Bob had worse stats than Reimer all the way to December and he has been declining these past few seasons. Maybe he'll wake up again in February, who knows.

Our ratio of GA vs xGA is the worse in the league with NJ (another team with terrible goaltending). The excuse making for Bob is ridiculous, two years ago behind the same defense Reimer was at .913 and Luongo .928 . I'm not sure why we should be okay with Bob playing worse than Reimer did with us.
You’re either not watching the games or you’re not watching the scoring opportunities against Panthers.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

You are clearly not watching the games... nothing else can be concluded.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida

This isn't the same defense though. We had
Ekblad, Matheson, Yandle, Pysyk, Demers, Kampfer, Kindl, Petrovic,

We:
  • Give up 10.3 high danger chances per game, 8th highest
  • Save 74.7% of those chances, 4th worst
  • Generate 8.14 high danger chances per game, 3rd lowest
  • Convert 19.3% of those chances, 16th
On paper, we look like a terrible team. But if you actually watch the game, most of the high danger chances are from 2-5 feet resulting from a turnover, no defensive coverage in front of goal, or an odd-man rush. Odd man rush being the LEAST frequent occurrence. That said, not all high danger shots are created equally. Are three swats at the puck that hit the goal tender's firmly-on-the-ice pad three times three high danger saves? I know that's three shots on goal.

Other teams with positive GA vs xGA:
BOS, ARI, VAN, PIT, BUF, NYI, CAR, ANA, EDM, DAL

Are they all getting stellar goaltending?

A comparison of of point leaders (because at the end of the day points is what matters) in the league for xGA/60 versus GA/60 (negative means team letting in more goals than expected):
WSH = -0.87
BOS = 0.38
BUF =0.12
EDM= 0.26
COL = -0.62
NSH = -0.75
VAN = 0.19
CAR = 0.23
VGK = -0.28

FLA = -1.08

Can these differences be attributed to bad goaltending or bad defense, or both? Is NSH, WSH, COL getting terrible goaltending? Is BOS, CAR, EDM, CAR getting stellar goaltending? Or is this information insufficient to make a determination?

I think the latter.

Further context

October 2016. xGA/60 versus GA/60 = - 0.5. Second best xGA in the league (Gallant), still negative although we had very strong goal tending
upload_2019-11-1_16-1-36.png

October 2017. xGA/60 versus GA/60 = -0.59. Highest xGA in the league (Boughner), still negative
upload_2019-11-1_15-43-20.png

October 2019. xGA/60 versus GA/60 = -1.08. Middle of pack xGA. (Q), still negative
upload_2019-11-1_15-44-52.png

All of this to say that we have 14 freakin points after October with injury problems against a majority of league leaders. Things could be way worse. :)

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-1_15-59-59.png
    upload_2019-11-1_15-59-59.png
    392.3 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad