Confirmed with Link: (G)Sergei Bobrovsky 7yr @ 10 mil

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Beezer’s mask was iconic actually if you think about it a lot of the 90’s goalies had iconic masks. Brodeur, Potvin, Roy, Richter, Belfour and Beezer all fantastic. Now a days none of the goalies have anything interesting.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Beezer’s mask was iconic actually if you think about it a lot of the 90’s goalies had iconic masks. Brodeur, Potvin, Roy, Richter, Belfour and Beezer all fantastic. Now a days none of the goalies have anything interesting.
They have plenty interesting, just nothing memorable or iconic.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Panel of coaches and gms ranked the 31 starters for this year. Bob is 3.

1. Vasilevski
  2. Price
  3. Bobrovski
  4. Gibson
  5. Rask
  6. Bishop
  7. Rinne
  8. Fleury
  9. Holtby
  10. Andersen
  11. Murray
  12. Hellebyuck
  13. Binnington
  14. Lundqvist
  15. Dubnyk
  16. Quick
  17. Varlamov
  18. Raanta
  19. Hart
  20. Grubauer
  21. Crawford
  22. Markstrom
  23. Jones
  24. Howard
  25. Rittich
  26. Mrazek
  27. Schneider
  28. Anderson
  29. Korpisalo
  30. Hutton
  31. Koskinen

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27712918/goalie-tandem-rankings-all-31-nhl-teams-2019-20

Haven't seen this posted anywhere or seen a critique expressed quite this manner yet. Thought it might be interesting fodder while waiting for the opener.

I don't know who this writer is and I haven't read the entire set of rankings carefully but what I did read didn't seem totally outlandish.

I was one of the people in the "D is the biggest issue" camp so this resonates with me. I'm not sure we had another palatable option with Lou retiring but it's interesting that the author notes reimer may revive his career playing behind a team with better structure in carolina. (note - i'm not nec. arguing in favor of going into 2019 with reims and monty...).

The Panthers were an absolute abomination defensively last season. They were arguably the most hopeless team this side of Chicago in that regard, so it's not surprising that they completely overreacted and zigged when the rest of the league is zagging. During a time when teams have realized that the volatility and unpredictability of the goalie position makes investing too heavily in it a risky proposition, the Panthers went all-in this summer. They drafted a goalie in the lottery for the first time since 2010 (Spencer Knight, who will play for Boston College this season), and then spent $70 million on Sergei Bobrovsky in free agency.

While there's no question that it was a crazy contract that will more than likely wind up coming back to haunt them at some point down the road, there's also no doubt that Bobrovsky will help fix a lot of their woes in the short term. They were 30th in both 5-on-5 and all-situations save percentage, and that'll rise by a fair margin. Even if Bobrovsky's overall numbers were down last season, the final stretch and postseason showed that he still has it. Just how much of a difference he'll be able to make is the question, especially if the team continues its sloppy ways in front of him.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27712918/goalie-tandem-rankings-all-31-nhl-teams-2019-20

Haven't seen this posted anywhere or seen a critique expressed quite this manner yet. Thought it might be interesting fodder while waiting for the opener.

I don't know who this writer is and I haven't read the entire set of rankings carefully but what I did read didn't seem totally outlandish.

I was one of the people in the "D is the biggest issue" camp so this resonates with me. I'm not sure we had another palatable option with Lou retiring but it's interesting that the author notes reimer may revive his career playing behind a team with better structure in carolina. (note - i'm not nec. arguing in favor of going into 2019 with reims and monty...).

As soon as I saw the link, it lost all credibility for Hocking knowledge in my mind. Take nothing ESPN says about hockey to heart. They know squat.

Reactions: pantherbot

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
As soon as I saw the link, it lost all credibility for Hocking knowledge in my mind. Take nothing ESPN says about hockey to heart. They know squat.

parden me if I choose to actually read and assess each piece. rather facile response.

very few people in the press can be really take seriously. I don't follow much in the press, but rather try catch the ex-players on NHLN, which is where I think you can find better insight.

anyway, I know a little about hockey, I read the piece, there are some reasonable points.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I don't think we over paid on bob. The guy is a proven all star and has performed really well aside from the mess that was all of CBJ early last year and the one year he got hurt. His cap hit as % of cap is comparable to what lundqvist and price signed for in a year when the cap barely moved. He's not even that old... I was more supportive of signing a 'cheaper' option at first, but I think bob is worth it, especially given that it will be hard to upgrade our defense.

I think drafting Knight was smart. When 'everyone' thinks drafting a goalie in the first round is wrong, then there is likely a market inefficiency. Players need to be judged on a case by case basis, can't just apply blanket statements and averages.

Just like how teams didn't want to draft small guys or Russian guys without even thinking about the specific situation, and Tampa took advantage of that. Makes me so annoyed when so called experts take the easy way out.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I don't think we over paid on bob. The guy is a proven all star and has performed really well aside from the mess that was all of CBJ early last year and the one year he got hurt. His cap hit as % of cap is comparable to what lundqvist and price signed for in a year when the cap barely moved. He's not even that old... I was more supportive of signing a 'cheaper' option at first, but I think bob is worth it, especially given that it will be hard to upgrade our defense.

I think drafting Knight was smart. When 'everyone' thinks drafting a goalie in the first round is wrong, then there is likely a market inefficiency. Players need to be judged on a case by case basis, can't just apply blanket statements and averages.

Just like how teams didn't want to draft small guys or Russian guys without even thinking about the specific situation, and Tampa took advantage of that. Makes me so annoyed when so called experts take the easy way out.

My problem is... I really love Askarov...

I want to be sold on Spencer, and we may never have been in a position to draft Yaroslav... But man is he gonna be that kind of stud !

And I think Knight suffers from that comparison...

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

I agree that the article makes some good points. Of course, we’ve spent the last year over here fighting each other first about who was more at fault, goalies or defense, and then about what exact percentage blame belonged to each.

It has been a fierce fight! Each side believes they won the argument! The only thing I know almost for sure is that the winner of that particular argument won’t ever be crowned.

I think last season the goalies made the defense look worse than they really were and the defense made the goalies look worse than they really were. I think the idea is that Bob is going to be the biggest reason that spiral stops now.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

I want to be sold on Spencer, and we may never have been in a position to draft Yaroslav... But man is he gonna be that kind of stud !

Who would not be available where we hopefully are picking next year ;)

This was the year to be a bit bold and take a goalie. In our position of needs, there was no one available. Cauflield is great, but we already have 3 (potentially 4 if you count Noel) top notch wing prospects.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah of course any team would love to draft Askarov, but I'm betting we won't be picking top 10 next year...hoping....

Knight is possibly the best goalie prospect ever from the US. I'd say that's good enough to gamble on.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Yeah of course any team would love to draft Askarov, but I'm betting we won't be picking top 10 next year...hoping....

Knight is possibly the best goalie prospect ever from the US. I'd say that's good enough to gamble on.

Exactly what I think !

But I've been drinking Askarov flavored Kool-Aid for more than two years, so I can't get over it lol...

Hope Knight will make me a believer ! :P

Reactions: pantherbot

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

Thank god we got one of the top goalies in the league then. You can see the confidence it gives the other guys on the ice and in the locker room in interviews. It's huge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaos2k7

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Thank god we got one of the top goalies in the league then. You can see the confidence it gives the other guys on the ice and in the locker room in interviews. It's huge.

i'm pretty happy but we got bob and sure, you gotta pay for one of the top guys. however...

I agree that the article makes some good points. Of course, we’ve spent the last year over here fighting each other first about who was more at fault, goalies or defense, and then about what exact percentage blame belonged to each.

It has been a fierce fight! Each side believes they won the argument! The only thing I know almost for sure is that the winner of that particular argument won’t ever be crowned.

I think last season the goalies made the defense look worse than they really were and the defense made the goalies look worse than they really were. I think the idea is that Bob is going to be the biggest reason that spiral stops now.

one game in, and you can see this is going to be a process - these guys do not take care of the puck. Q said it after the game.

i don't expect to change bad habits overnight but you can see that even as structure improves as we get into the season, the muscle memory around puck management needs a ton of work.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Nope. Team sure is though.

He's been great.

Sorry but I have to disagree. He has shown flashes of greatness but overall I still worry on almost every why on goal.

Yes, he has made some unbelievable glove saves and
maybe I'm still feeling the effects of last season but I have not been overly impressed.

Hoping it's just a slow start and I am proven wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad