Confirmed with Link: (G)Sergei Bobrovsky 7yr @ 10 mil

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
You are clearly not watching the games... nothing else can be concluded.
I'm just not content with bad play and willing to come up with pathetic excuses because people feel the need to defend "our" guy.

Anyone sying Bob has been playing well hasn't seen Bob play well. YOU clearly have never watched Bob at its finest, because this isn't close to it.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I'm just not content with bad play and willing to come up with pathetic excuses because people feel the need to defend "our" guy.

Anyone sying Bob has been playing well hasn't seen Bob play well. YOU clearly have never watched Bob at its finest, because this isn't close to it.
It’s not an argument from others that Bob has been playing really well. It’s not that he can’t and won’t be better. It’s that he hasn’t been playing poorly. He’s been okay overall with really no obvious problems (like Lu with his lack of lateral motion and Reimer with his immediate ice-mopping after one shot) and sprinkled in with some amazing and game-saving saves and periods.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
It’s not an argument from others that Bob has been playing really well. It’s not that he can’t and won’t be better. It’s that he hasn’t been playing poorly. He’s been okay overall with really no obvious problems (like Lu with his lack of lateral motion and Reimer with his immediate ice-mopping after one shot) and sprinkled in with some amazing and game-saving saves and periods.

i would just add that lou and reims' issues were compounded by our terrible D.

one would think after a month of watching a 2-time vezina winner play fairly well and still get lit up behind this D, folks would get the idea.

hell, if not for a handful of outstanding saves, including one highlight reel blocker save on a clear breakaway, we'd have lost vs the avs.

bobrovsky is not the problem, just as lou and reims were not the root problem. (see reimer's respectable 2.67 GAA and .918 Sv% behind the canes' D, compared to bob's #s).

that said, we got through the first month in reasonable shape with a tough schedule and lots of travel. this will be a good few weeks at home, with some off days for practice and video work. i expect this team to be looking sharper and managing the puck better come december. and you'll see bob's numbers improve.

(of course, the same folks will say "bob's playing better now"...)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
From the athletic:

I think he is getting comfortable in the way we play in front of him,” coach Joel Quenneville said

I think we undervalued how the defensive system change affects him after his time in Columbus.Generically speaking his issues seem to be rebound control in particular which rebounds he leaved with defensemen near by. To me that implies the issue is that he hasnt adjusted for the team which takes time!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
i would just add that lou and reims' issues were compounded by our terrible D.

one would think after a month of watching a 2-time vezina winner play fairly well and still get lit up behind this D, folks would get the idea.

hell, if not for a handful of outstanding saves, including one highlight reel blocker save on a clear breakaway, we'd have lost vs the avs.

bobrovsky is not the problem, just as lou and reims were not the root problem. (see reimer's respectable 2.67 GAA and .918 Sv% behind the canes' D, compared to bob's #s).

that said, we got through the first month in reasonable shape with a tough schedule and lots of travel. this will be a good few weeks at home, with some off days for practice and video work. i expect this team to be looking sharper and managing the puck better come december. and you'll see bob's numbers improve.

(of course, the same folks will say "bob's playing better now"...)
One would think, but don't give anyone too much credit. Especially if they see our goalies as playing bad this year.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
From the athletic:

I think he is getting comfortable in the way we play in front of him,” coach Joel Quenneville said

I think we undervalued how the defensive system change affects him after his time in Columbus.Generically speaking his issues seem to be rebound control in particular which rebounds he leaved with defensemen near by. To me that implies the issue is that he hasnt adjusted for the team which takes time!
Just goes to show even the very best can overlook the difficulty of the first save, in which the only way the rebound would've been prevented would've been letting the first shot in. In other words- we don't have fingers on our goalie pads.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Zero issues with Bob’s play. His numbers don’t tell the true story. He’s made plenty of big saves like the ones in Colorado to keep us in the game. Very happy we signed him. The contract doesn’t matter as long as we have a cheap backup and young goalies in the pipe which we have.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I had Bob with two saves tonight that wouldn't have been made last year.

That puts him at 20 saves in 10 games.

Great game by Bob; congrats on the shutout!

I actually didn't have him make a save that wouldn't have been made last year, so it's 20 saves in 11 games.

I'm deciding now that this is somewhat of a combination stat.
Tells you not only Bob is playing really good by how high the number is, but also how well the team defense is playing by how low the number is.
Some sort of graph might paint a better picture here.

Reactions: geisterpanthers

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Zero issues with Bob’s play. His numbers don’t tell the true story. He’s made plenty of big saves like the ones in Colorado to keep us in the game. Very happy we signed him. The contract doesn’t matter as long as we have a cheap backup and young goalies in the pipe which we have.
Without Bob, Cats are not going to playoffs w/w-out Q; long before this season started, I picked the Cats to make the playoffs and Kucherov to be sitting on a beach in Georgia, the one on the Black Sea.

I liked Lou and Reims was ... interesting, like casual art hanging in the Musee D'Orsay; but neither of them with Q would help the Cats over the playoff hump at this point in time.

Bob will and already is.

Bag Of Beans

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

I actually didn't have him make a save that wouldn't have been made last year, so it's 20 saves in 11 games.

Tells you not only Bob is playing really good by how high the number is, but also how well the team defense is playing by how low the number is.

I had Bob making two saves his last game that wouldn't have been made last year, so that puts the count at 22 saves in 12 games.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Yeah, a graph would be amazing

Bag Of Beans

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Bob played a really good game, making aboat four very good saves.
But I like to think those saves would have been made last year by one of our two goalies. When I think of saves that wouldn't be made last year, I think naturally I'm thinking more of a lateral save, post to post. It's also more of a personal gut reaction, so it's difficult to explain.

Therefore I have him with 22 saves in 13 games.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
M
I don’t get it. He’d be getting lit on fire in another market by the fans and media. Somehow his play has been received as good by Panther’s fans when it hasn’t, especially at $10 million.
I don’t get it. He’d be getting lit on fire in another market by the fans and media. Somehow his play has been received as good by Panther’s fans when it hasn’t, especially at $10 million.
o
most fans on here blame the d. Even tho the d hasn’t been great it drastically better than last year yet bob is posting even worse numbers than last years goalies who everyone knows were aweful. Not sure why he’s getting so protected but whatever I believe he will be better. His last few starts have shown improvement

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Serious question for the bob detractors here. What's more likely? A) this team's defense, the same one that's been a problem for years, is still a work in progress, or B) that bob, a two-time vezina winner and widely acknowledged top-5 goalie, has suddenly turned into an ECHL caliber goalie as his stats would suggest?

Reactions: KW and Kellyr

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Bob has been ok. Not great but ok.

The defense is the same tire fire as it was last year, unfortunately Q hasn't been able to fix it. Maybe it's the systems and takes a while, maybe the guys can improve still although none of them are particularly young anymore outside of Ek. Otherwise it's just not good enough.

Reactions: pantherbot and KW

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Bob has been ok. Not great but ok.

The defense is the same tire fire as it was last year, unfortunately Q hasn't been able to fix it. Maybe it's the systems and takes a while, maybe the guys can improve still although none of them are particularly young anymore outside of Ek. Otherwise it's just not good enough.
And certain offensive players are blowing their coverages all the time.

Same people who say Bob has a poor save % are commenting that Hoff (for example) is weak on defense and backchecking .... yet do not connect the dots.

In the NHL the team is only as good as its weakest links, this is much more true than that the team’s as good as its superstars. Otherwise Blues don’t win it all, and Toronto would be at the top.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
And certain offensive players are blowing their coverages all the time.

Same people who say Bob has a poor save % are commenting that Hoff (for example) is weak on defense and backchecking .... yet do not connect the dots.

In the NHL the team is only as good as its weakest links, this is much more true than that the team’s as good as its superstars. Otherwise Blues don’t win it all, and Toronto would be at the top.

Yeah I would agree. The forwards should take responsibility too, especially the stupid backhanded blind passes in the o zone should be outlawed by Q. I see this mostly out of Huby and Dads actually, that line gets too fancy at times. Hoff does it too. Yandle in the o zone has been a mess passing it directly to the opposing guy whether it's on the PP or 5v5.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
i heard on parkway panther that there may have been direction from coaching that players (specifically forwards) do their job and not the job of others who either cheat the line or lazy backchecking. the observation was that barkov was not taking the defensive responsibility of others and as a result, his defensive numbers are decreasing. this in turn should shift the responsibility off of barkov and onto the wingers. this seemed like a plausible explanation at the time i was listening.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Yeah I would agree. The forwards should take responsibility too, especially the stupid backhanded blind passes in the o zone should be outlawed by Q. I see this mostly out of Huby and Dads actually, that line gets too fancy at times. Hoff does it too. Yandle in the o zone has been a mess passing it directly to the opposing guy whether it's on the PP or 5v5.

Those backhanded blind passes have to stop. Im not concerned with the top line doing things, because they are one of the most dominant lines in the league, and they are sound defensively, but Hoffman doing it pisses me off. He did it a few times on power plays that resulted in a turnover, and him doing it bothers me more because he is so one dimensional.

One thing Id like to try is Ekblad on the top PP unit, and have Yandle on the second unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->