G Jacob Fowler - Boston College Eagles, NCAA (2023, 69th, MTL)

Marshmont63

Jun 22, 2016
The Heights
Fowler has been impressive this year. I’ve seen a good amount of BC games in person this year. He’s given up a few really bad goals, but those were definitely just freshman jitters. He’s settled in quite nicely, especially considering that BC hasn’t been the best defensively in front of their own net. They need to improve that area quite a bit. Goalies are always more exposed at programs like BC and BU because they play such an open and fast-paced style. A lot of other teams like Lowell or Quinnipiac tend to play a much more defensive style that makes goalies look better than they are. I think Fowler could definitely be a contender for the Richter next season

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can the Habs not rush him to the NHL like Primeau? Should come out after three years. How many goalies are playing in the league before 22 or 23 anyway?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Can the Habs not rush him to the NHL like Primeau? Should come out after three years. How many goalies are playing in the league before 22 or 23 anyway?
Do you mean rush to sign him out of College or play in the NHL?

Primeau was never supposed to play in the NHL at ages 20-21 and probably even 22. He got stuck in a bad situation with very fragile goalies in the NHL getting hurt a bunch, crappy NHL backups like Keith Kinkaid sucking, COVID leading to a practice squad requiring a 3rd goalie in the NHL, etc.

As for why the Habs signed him at 20, I think they had legitimate concern that if Primeau went back for a 3rd season, he was very likely to hit UFA after his Senior year, especially with Price signed at the time for a long time. Bergevin was also in a rush on everything and mishandled countless prospects those years.

It's now a different management group running the team so I trust them to make the right call here on whether it's 2 years or 3 years for Fowler.

BTW, Primeau at 24 suddenly looks like a legit NHL goalie this season so clearly it did not kill him to play NHL games when he probably wasn't ready.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you mean rush to sign him out of College or play in the NHL?

Primeau was never supposed to play in the NHL at ages 20-21 and probably even 22. He got stuck in a bad situation with very fragile goalies in the NHL getting hurt a bunch, crappy NHL backups like Keith Kinkaid sucking, COVID leading to a practice squad requiring a 3rd goalie in the NHL, etc.

As for why the Habs signed him at 20, I think they had legitimate concern that if Primeau went back for a 3rd season, he was very likely to hit UFA after his Senior year, especially with Price signed at the time for a long time. Bergevin was also in a rush on everything and mishandled countless prospects those years.

It's now a different management group running the team so I trust them to make the right call here on whether it's 2 years or 3 years for Fowler.

BTW, Primeau at 24 suddenly looks like a legit NHL goalie this season so clearly it did not kill him to play NHL games when he probably wasn't ready.
I wouldn't rush to sign him, and I wouldn't rush to play him in the NHL.

Three years of college. Then probably to the AHL, unless he's like amazing in the NCAA, and demands immediate NHL time, as Levi did. Levi though has been very up and down, so probably 3 NCAA years, and then one AHL, at minimum, is probably best.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Very composed performance today against Notre Dame who were able to spoil his second straight shutout with under 2 minutes to go. He's backstopping the best college hockey team right now.
He had a few big saves in the 1st tonight to keep ND at bay, especially when BC was on the PK, and then BC just completely took over after that. He's up to a .930 save pct on the year, He's a big part of the reason why they have the 3rd ranked PK in the country. Even with as good as BC has been, he's still facing a good amount of shots per game. After their goalie struggles since Knight left, he's been great for them

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Biggest problem's for Primeau was dealing with COVID just completely derailing normal development and was in Laval during the worst years of the Habs just being the worst developers of NHL talent in the league. Laval was a mess nearly every year Primeau was there. Look at how poorly Lindgren did, then he spent a year with the Blues and now he's a NHL goalie. Hopefully they figured out their development issues as Fowler could be so good for the Habs.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Fowler has played every minute in net for BC. Top 10 in country in GAA and more importantly 3rd in country in save percentage. He has exceeded expectations so far as a Freshman. Can't wait to see him at the World Juniors. I see no reason he can't be the #1 there.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Ryan Whitney had glowing praise for this kid in the latest Spittin Chiclets episode. Paraphrased but he said something to the effect of he's never seen a college goalie as good as Fowler before. Said hes going to be an NHL All Star.

Granted, its Ryan Whitney and Fowler is a 19 year old college player but still.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ryan Whitney had glowing praise for this kid in the latest Spittin Chiclets episode. Paraphrased but he said something to the effect of he's never seen a college goalie as good as Fowler before. Said hes going to be an NHL All Star.

Granted, its Ryan Whitney and Fowler is a 19 year old college player but still.

we'll see how the season ends but so far Primeau had much better numbers at 18 so it's hard to say as Fowler while very impressive and he was outstanding against BU but it's hard to say just how good he really is as BC is one of the top shot blocking teams in the entire NCAA if not #1.

For his only WJC I wasn't overly impressed but the good news is he is playing a ton, he's with what's considered to be one of the best goalie coaches in the NCAA and he's on the now #1 team in the NCAA that also happens to be among the very youngest so next year he should be in a very good spot again.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
we'll see how the season ends but so far Primeau had much better numbers at 18 so it's hard to say as Fowler while very impressive and he was outstanding against BU but it's hard to say just how good he really is as BC is one of the top shot blocking teams in the entire NCAA if not #1.

For his only WJC I wasn't overly impressed but the good news is he is playing a ton, he's with what's considered to be one of the best goalie coaches in the NCAA and he's on the now #1 team in the NCAA that also happens to be among the very youngest so next year he should be in a very good spot again.
Lol knowing Whitney he just saw Fowler playing a lights out game and did zero further research

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad