G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Igor is fine where he is. The NHL is a lot better then the AHL. This team is close to reaching the point where they trade pieces like Kreider.

I rather Igor finishes the year strong. Has a chip on his shoulder next year and he makes the team out of training camp.

Gorts makes better trades in the offseason anyway. Maybe Gorts trades Georgiev during the draft or in the summer when more teams will be interested.

You are being selfish. He's 24. He's being forced to take a 3-4 million dollar pay cut to play minor league hockey. He's the best goalie in his organization.

I hope he files a grievance with the Players Association. He deserves to play in the NHL. If the team suffers because of it, thats their own fault for running the team poorly. I'm not such a big Rangers fan that I'm going to excuse how he's being treated by the team. I also think our players should be treated fairly by the team.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
You are being selfish. He's 24. He's being forced to take a 3-4 million dollar pay cut to play minor league hockey. He's the best goalie in his organization.

I hope he files a grievance with the Players Association. He deserves to play in the NHL. If the team suffers because of it, thats their own fault for running the team poorly. I'm not such a big Rangers fan that I'm going to excuse how he's being treated by the team. I also think our players should be treated fairly by the team.

This is a joke right? Get the NHLPA involved because the NYR are not ready to call up a prospect with zero NHL played and in his first North America pro season in the AHL?

Reactions: The Sweetness

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
This is a joke right? Get the NHLPA involved because the NYR are not ready to call up a prospect with zero NHL played and in his first North America pro season in the AHL?
He has a point though. The NHL experience can't be gained without getting called up and played in NHL games. That's just the dumbest excuse you can ever find for not having an experience. It's like you come to job interviews after just graduating from university and employers all in one demand an experience from you when there's simply none could be had for obvious reasons and you just forced to settle in for some dirty job that you know damn well inside is not your level. The difference is Igor doesn't have an option of turning away and go to another employer. He's just stuck in this uncomfortable situation where he's great but nobody gives a shit about it at least at the moment. In that regard I support Sorokin's approach about his situation. He doesn't like the club and it's goalie situation and he makes sure he's free to choose himself who he wants to play for while making a lot of money back home.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Vasilevsky played 25 games in Syracuse in 14/15 with Nabakov & Bishop in front of him. Then follows up in 15/16 with Bishop/Gudlevskis with 12 games in Syracuse.

Seems somewhat similar a situation, no?

Nabokov on his way out. Bishop a young emerging goalie himself (Georgiev). Except we have a NYR icon with a NMC and 1.5 seasons left to burn.
It's a tough spot.
Suggesting Shestyerkin is getting jerked around and should file a complaint does nothing to help him with NYR or his teammates, thus help himself in the long run, especially if he wants to be in NY which he seems to want to be, similar to Panarins wanting.

Life isn't fair. Sometimes you have to grit your teeth and pay your dues if you want the best outcome, not just the most immediate outcome.

Un;ess we are going 3 for 3 with high profile primadonnas here and adding Shesty to the Andresson/Kravtsov "All Decade Me 1st Team."

@Pavel Buchnevich my remark wasn't an attack on you, it's in reply to a growing trend I'm seeing where sentiment is being projected from fans as if Shestyerkin is factually considering his deployment in spite.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
They almost certainly talked about this kind of scenario before the season began or even before he signed a contract. It's not like anyone was expecting him to struggle. So he signed knowing full well this can happen.

He can demand a trade but realistically, he can't. Rangers don't want to trade him and he doesn't have any leverage. Rangers don't want to trade him, nobody is giving them an offer they can't refuse for a goalie with 0 NHL games and he is signed for 1 more year. The only thing he can do is bolt to Russia a la Radulov but that would defy entire purpose.

Vasilevsky played 25 games in Syracuse in 14/15 with Nabakov & Bishop in front of him. Then follows up in 15/16 with Bishop/Gudlevskis with 12 games in Syracuse.

1) He got to play in the NHL.
2) He was 20/21. Shestyorkin, on the other hand, has entered the age which should/could be his prime.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

Seems somewhat similar a situation, no?

Nabokov on his way out. Bishop a young emerging goalie himself (Georgiev). Except we have a NYR icon with a NMC and 1.5 seasons left to burn.
It's a tough spot.
Suggesting Shestyerkin is getting jerked around and should file a complaint does nothing to help him with NYR or his teammates, thus help himself in the long run, especially if he wants to be in NY which he seems to want to be, similar to Panarins wanting.

Life isn't fair. Sometimes you have to grit your teeth and pay your dues if you want the best outcome, not just the most immediate outcome.

Un;ess we are going 3 for 3 with high profile primadonnas here and adding Shesty to the Andresson/Kravtsov "All Decade Me 1st Team."
Vasilevski was 20 at the time and had all the time in the world to wait until veterans fold and rivals get traded. Shesterkin is a grown man already. He might very well not view the world the way Vasilevski did at the time and rightfully so.

P10p

May 15, 2012

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
To be fair, he signed his KHL contract knowing full well what Lundqvist situation was till it expired.

SKA jerked him around for a long time behind lesser veterans, so he knows the deal.

Right or wrong, and I understand both lines of thinking, I dont see any benefit to him going back to KHL or demanding a trade.

Everyone speaks well of their current team, but his body language is different when he speaks of NYR. He wants to be here. What NYR does going forward is only in the hands of Davidson and Gorton because it's their Butts on the line, the owner is very hands off.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
SKA jerked him around for a long time behind lesser veterans, so he knows the deal.
Lesser veteran, singular. And the said lesser veteran is currently NHL starting goalie. Who has better stats this season than either Rangers goalie Shestyorkin is currently behind.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Lesser veteran, singular. And the said lesser veteran is currently NHL starting goalie. Who has better stats this season than either Rangers goalie Shestyorkin is currently behind.

Kind of a strawman arguement there.

IIRC his numbers were no better in SKA than Shestyorkin's the seasons they competed for play time, it was well known the coach at the time favored veterans without regard. I could be wrong, just parroting what I read.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kind of a strawman arguement there.

IIRC his numbers were no better in SKA than Shestyorkin's the seasons they competed for play time, it was well known the coach at the time favored veterans without regard. I could be wrong, just parroting what I read.
Point was that "lesser veteran" was really just a narrative created mostly by the Rangers fans because at the time Koskinen was just another run of the mill trash Euro goalie to them. Hence the whole narrative. It was partially true but also, his performance in PO was always stellar so it's not like the coach favored the goalie who was clearly inferior like some fans tried to make it look like.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yes, get the PA involved. You seem very NA-centric. You should watch a KHL game. It’s a better league than the AHL. He did Gorton a favor. Why should he continue to do that? Do you want to pay him the salary he should be getting out of your own paycheck? If no, you shouldn’t complain about what I said. He’s been denied millions of dollars per year playing in the AHL, a league he’s clearly beyond. There’s no sporting reason why he shouldn’t be playing in the NHL. It’s all contractual. Hence, get the PA involved.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Everyone speaks well of their current team, but his body language is different when he speaks of NYR. He wants to be here. What NYR does going forward is only in the hands of Davidson and Gorton because it's their Butts on the line, the owner is very hands off.

He’s also continued to say that he thinks he’s ready to play in the NHL right now. He’s said that all season. I wouldn’t mistake having respect for the organization and not dragging them through the mud, like Andersson and Kravtsov have done, for being content with still being in the AHL. He said in an interview he’s not going to stay indefinitely. He didn’t give an exact time he’d leave, but why test his patience? Is it worth it? Put your foot down and tell Lundqvist to get lost and that he’s the third goalie the rest of the season.

Reactions: White Death 24

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Igor is fine where he is. The NHL is a lot better then the AHL. This team is close to reaching the point where they trade pieces like Kreider.

I rather Igor finishes the year strong. Has a chip on his shoulder next year and he makes the team out of training camp.

Gorts makes better trades in the offseason anyway. Maybe Gorts trades Georgiev during the draft or in the summer when more teams will be interested.

This makes too much sense so expect to get trashed for it. The Rangers are no threat this year, should probably wind up with a top ten pick in addition to whatever they get at the deadline. See how the goalie landscape is at the draft and trade Georgiev then.

As an Islanders fan it sickens me that Panarin chose less to go to a worse team but it's pretty obvious Gorton's been doing a hell of a job as GM. I especially like the fact the org came out and said they were rebuilding. That was a ballsy move (though quite honestly, I know a lot of Rangers STH's that have been saying this for a decade + (minus the two excellent runs the team had)

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
This makes too much sense so expect to get trashed for it. The Rangers are no threat this year, should probably wind up with a top ten pick in addition to whatever they get at the deadline. See how the goalie landscape is at the draft and trade Georgiev then.

As an Islanders fan it sickens me that Panarin chose less to go to a worse team but it's pretty obvious Gorton's been doing a hell of a job as GM. I especially like the fact the org came out and said they were rebuilding. That was a ballsy move (though quite honestly, I know a lot of Rangers STH's that have been saying this for a decade + (minus the two excellent runs the team had)

Agree. Rangers still ned a few more high end prospects especially at LW and LD.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I would like to see Shesty gets some games this year. We need to see him at this level before we trade Georgiev. I'm fine with waiting until the offseason to make a deal, but something has to happen between now and October. Given his age, play and earnings potential in the KHL, we can't expect Shesty to ride buses for another year while making 70k.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Isn't a great situation, actually, too much pressure on him. Rangers goalies didn't look great lately, and now people will see a rookie as a savior. On the other hand, pressure is always a factor in the NHL, you either get used to it or forget about playing in the league.

I'm afraid, Askarov's WJC situation can happen...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This was only a thought in my head, so I have no way of proving it, but once I heard them say Hank was sick, I thought Shestyorkin probably gets recalled for Tuesday. The last time we had a long west coast trip, they didn't start the guy who started the last game the first game back from the trip. But if its not a situation where he's only there because Hank can't go and they don't want to short Georgiyev so soon after playing the last game on the West coast trip, thats even better.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brooks says some things with knowledge and others as speculation. He doesn't always make it clear which it is, but when he says something, it's worth listening to. It could be inside knowledge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad