G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Food for thought for people who believe SKA is stacked. Couldn't it be the Shestyorkin is ONE of the reasons SKA is perceived as a stacked team? I mean cause and correlation and such, ya know.

I.e. "Lidstrom was only good because he played on a stacked team."
or how about this (and this one pains me to say as a Rangers fan) "Brodeur was only good because of the system/stacked defense".

I'm not comparing Shesty with Brodeur or Lidstrom by any means, I'm just throwing out the idea that Shestyorkin is one big reason why SKA is doing so well.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I still think, a team matters. The KHL doesn't have statistics about shot quality, but I bet there are not a lot of quality shots against SKA. Of course Shesterkin is still great, but I doubt he would have the same statistics, playing for Yugra or Amur. Of even CSKA.

No matter what, I think he's the best Russian keeper not in the NHL right now. And actually if we could choose 3 keepers out of all our ones, I'd take him and Sorokin before anybody, but Bob.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Food for thought for people who believe SKA is stacked. Couldn't it be the Shestyorkin is ONE of the reasons SKA is perceived as a stacked team? I mean cause and correlation and such, ya know.

I.e. "Lidstrom was only good because he played on a stacked team."
or how about this (and this one pains me to say as a Rangers fan) "Brodeur was only good because of the system/stacked defense".

I'm not comparing Shesty with Brodeur or Lidstrom by any means, I'm just throwing out the idea that Shestyorkin is one big reason why SKA is doing so well.

Could be a bit different for goalies in that if your team is stacked you very well might not face many or any high quality chances. Skaters need to constantly be contributing to their teams “stackedness” for it to continue, a goalie on a stacked team in a league with bad parity might not need to do much at all to keep things going because the rest of the team limits the chances before they even reach him.

Having said that I think Shesty is the real deal for the most part. I try not to put too too much stock into the sheer insanity of his numbers as much as how they compare to other top goalies in his league, his teams other goalie, and how he looks when he does get good chances against.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I still think, a team matters. The KHL doesn't have statistics about shot quality, but I bet there are not a lot of quality shots against SKA. Of course Shesterkin is still great, but I doubt he would have the same statistics, playing for Yugra or Amur. Of even CSKA.

No matter what, I think he's the best Russian keeper not in the NHL right now. And actually if we could choose 3 keepers out of all our ones, I'd take him and Sorokin before anybody, but Bob.

I really hope you don't take this as me being a smart ass but... all you have to do is go back a page or two to see some of the ridiculous saves he has made. :)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This kid could very well be the future of the Rangers.

My opinion is that if we have any significant future in the next 10 years, it requires Igor being a Vezina caliber goalie. We have some nice young pieces (Buchnevich, Skjei, Chytil, Zibanejad, Andersson, Miller), but its unlikely any of those guys will be actual NHL stars that are up for the major NHL awards every year, as opposed to good, quality players that every team has.

I think he's capable of it. So we'll see if it happens.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
My opinion is that if we have any significant future in the next 10 years, it requires Igor being a Vezina caliber goalie. We have some nice young pieces (Buchnevich, Skjei, Chytil, Zibanejad, Andersson, Miller), but its unlikely any of those guys will be actual NHL stars that are up for the major NHL awards every year, as opposed to good, quality players that every team has.

I think he's capable of it. So we'll see if it happens.
I fully agree.

A lot of really nice pieces, but no one that really stands out as "the guy", besides Igor. But who knows, by the time he's in NA a lot could have changed.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Battle of the top goalie prospects went at it today: Shestyorkin vs Sorokin (and battle of the top 2 KHL teams)

SKA/Shestyorkin won 5-2 :)

Shestyorkin stopped 29 of 31 shots
Sorokin gave up 4 goals on 21 shots (ouch)

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Rangers need to investigate a way for Igor to get out of his KHL contract. They need him now. Not saying that Lundqvist is completely done. But he needs help.

Reactions: klingsor

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Looking forward to seeing him in NHL don't know much about the KHL but he has to adjust to playing and making saves without always to see the puck. Screenings and forwards driving hard against him.

I don't buy the story with him being behind a good/great team it's as important for him to do what he can do and that is making saves a for he's team to win. Let's see what happens when he gets to the NHL.

How is he as a player compared to Henrik?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Looking forward to seeing him in NHL don't know much about the KHL but he has to adjust to playing and making saves without always to see the puck. Screenings and forwards driving hard against him.

I don't buy the story with him being behind a good/great team it's as important for him to do what he can do and that is making saves a for he's team to win. Let's see what happens when he gets to the NHL.

Bob adjusted, Varlamov adjusted, Vasilevsky adjusted... I think, Shesterkin will adjust as well.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

They are similar in size, and both have games predicated on reflexes and quick movement. They both play deep in the net (or did, I haven't had the chance to watch Shesty as much, and Hank is trying to come out to challenge a little more/look bigger as his reflexes slow).

I think Shesty might have a better glove, but he still needs to watch his rebounds and he can push too much laterally, though he moves well.

Comparables to Hank, Bob, Varly, and Quick have been around, but I wonder if the Vary and Bob moves are just the fact that both are Russian.

Allaire will really help polish his technique. Very excited for him.

Reactions: Callum

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
They are similar in size, and both have games predicated on reflexes and quick movement. They both play deep in the net (or did, I haven't had the chance to watch Shesty as much, and Hank is trying to come out to challenge a little more/look bigger as his reflexes slow).

I think Shesty might have a better glove, but he still needs to watch his rebounds and he can push too much laterally, though he moves well.

Comparables to Hank, Bob, Varly, and Quick have been around, but I wonder if the Vary and Bob moves are just the fact that both are Russian.

Allaire will really help polish his technique. Very excited for him.
This is crucial. Allaire is basically the goalie whisperer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad