G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
It's difficult to argue that Shestyorkin's statistics aren't among the most impressive of any prospect, at any position, outside the NHL. His numbers are bonkers.

yep, leads the KHL with a .946 save percentage iirc

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's difficult to argue that Shestyorkin's statistics aren't among the most impressive of any prospect, at any position, outside the NHL. His numbers are bonkers.

Just viewing from afar, my concern is that the KHL has a ton of goalies with terrifyingly good statistics. I think there was one tiny goalie last season who was like a .955 and 1.29 all season. Yeremenko.

The bigger ice surface often means more shots from bad angles and fewer deflections from traffic in front of the net. I'd imagine the average goalie save percentage in Sweden and Russia is much higher than the NHL?

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Just viewing from afar, my concern is that the KHL has a ton of goalies with terrifyingly good statistics. I think there was one tiny goalie last season who was like a .955 and 1.29 all season. Yeremenko.

The bigger ice surface often means more shots from bad angles and fewer deflections from traffic in front of the net. I'd imagine the average goalie save percentage in Sweden and Russia is much higher than the NHL?

This is all fair, but his stats look good within the league aswell, and he's outplaying Koskinen on the same team, who's a very well respected goalie in the KHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
All posts are lost from Monday to Wednesday.

37 of 38 saves on Monday, 15 save shutout today.

Won all 11 games, leads the KHL in SV% at .954 and GAA at 1.20.

Also was mentioned in Friedman's 30 thoughts today.

25. The Rangers are quietly thrilled their 21-year-old goalie prospect, Igor Shesterkin, is making a strong case to be Russia’s Olympic starter in South Korea. I’d pencilled in a different up-and-comer, the Islanders’ Ilya Sorokin (who is 22) for that job. But Shesterkin, who had a .937 save percentage last season, is at .951 so far for St. Petersburg. His coach there is Oleg Znarok, who doubles as the Olympic team’s bench boss.

I'm having trouble linking the article, but it was in Friedman's 30 thoughts column today.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Guy is absolutely UNREAL.

He is a huge reason why his team is such a powerhouse, he himself can steals games for his team.

Today they were out shot 37-31 and he stops 36 of 37
3 games ago they were out shot 39-28 and he stopped 38 of 39.

So whoever thinks he is just a product of a good team, is completely out to lunch.

1st in the KHL with a .957 save %
1st in the KHL with a 1.19 GAA
1st in the KHL with 3 SOs
12-0 record to start the season.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Guy is absolutely UNREAL.

He is a huge reason why his team is such a powerhouse, he himself can steals games for his team.

Today they were out shot 37-31 and he stops 36 of 37
3 games ago they were out shot 39-28 and he stopped 38 of 39.

So whoever thinks he is just a product of a good team, is completely out to lunch.

1st in the KHL with a .957 save %
1st in the KHL with a 1.19 GAA
1st in the KHL with 3 SOs
12-0 record to start the season.

I feel like it's the instinct of some people to just find reasons to be negative on players. No matter what Shestyorkin does people will doubt him because that's what gets them high.

Reactions: monsieurthibz

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Steller defense right there....:laugh:
Exactly.

SKA has this kind of stuff and worse happen to them all the time. Wish people watched them more before they opened their mouth and spouted "Oh yeah but Shesty plays for a stacked team so obviously his numbers are super inflated blah blah blah."

Reactions: Lays

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean his stats are likely inflated by playing for one of the best teams in the KHL. Doesn't mean he isn't also good. Pretty sure the other super goalie prospects like Sorokin and Samsanov also play for very good teams

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I mean his stats are likely inflated by playing for one of the best teams in the KHL. Doesn't mean he isn't also good. Pretty sure the other super goalie prospects like Sorokin and Samsanov also play for very good teams
His Wins would be inflated, but it isn't as clear that his other starts would be.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
This guy is making Lundqvist's ultimate demise much easier to take as a Ranger fan.

Clearly the kid needs to show he can play the same way in NA, but considering all the Russian goalies killing it right now in the NHL, the Rangers may not lose much when HL becomes the backup...

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Samsonov not anymore. The team got weaker by a margin. But Samsonov is developing very well. We beat them 2-1 only because of Samsonov. Should have been more like 6-1.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Koskinen 19 of 21 saves today, they barely win 3-2.

I can't believe people actually think Shestyorkin's just a product of SKA. In 13 games played this season, he's had a worse SV% than Koskinen had today only once. Its like they completely ignore he always outplays a guy who last year was Finland's third goalie at the WCH over Raanta, Saros, Niemi and Lehtonen.

At this point, I don't know how someone could say he's not one of SKA's 5 best players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Given up 14 goals in 14 games, more than one goal only twice. His back up has given up more than one goal 4 times in 7 games so while Shesty could probably still be 14-0, the SV% is not a given.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Honest question to the people that find the need to put the kid down because of his team and league. What stats WOULD you find impressive? A GAA of 0.00?

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Seriously starting to look like a possible Vezina winner in the future. Ska is ridiculously overpowered though... not taking anything away from Shestyorkin (he is one of the biggest reasons for that). If they have a bad game, he is there to win it for them anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad