G Anthony Brodeur - Penticton Vees, BCHL (2013, 208th, NJD)

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Nice move by Dean Lombardi

To do his mentor LL a fav and honor Brodeur the priv to draft his son. Very classy move all around by both orgs

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
1003269_10151679291572070_461355451_n.jpg

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Might be a total dick move to say this but IMO, imagine if you dedicated your whole life to hockey but in the end, the only reason you got into the NHL was because your dad was really good? I don't think it was classy but instead, but a lot of pressure and a bit of guilt onto the kid.

Please don't hang me.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Eh, not really. At least no moreso than any other goalie drafted late.

Statistically speaking from history, anyone drafted in the 7th round has pretty low odds of making the NHL. But this wasn't simply a charity pick, the kid projected as a legitimate 7th round or close-but-not-drafted player.

So given the long odds of a 7th rounder, why the hell not take Marty's son. Speaks well for the organization and just furthers New Jersey's reputation as a "family" environment as a hockey club.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Might be a total dick move to say this but IMO, imagine if you dedicated your whole life to hockey but in the end, the only reason you got into the NHL was because your dad was really good? I don't think it was classy but instead, but a lot of pressure and a bit of guilt onto the kid.

Please don't hang me.

Its not like he's got a written ticket to the nhl because he was taken with a 7th rounder. Still has a long way to make it if he does

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Its not like he's got a written ticket to the nhl because he was taken with a 7th rounder. Still has a long way to make it if he does

Of course. But the thing is, he took that pick away from another hard working prospect who might not get another chance. If I did that, I'd feel so guilty.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Of course. But the thing is, he took that pick away from another hard working prospect who might not get another chance. If I did that, I'd feel so guilty.

If you good enough to start you'll find your way into the league. Not like there has never been an unsigned free agent to make the NHL

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If that other hard working kid doesn't get a chance in the future, it will be because he also doesn't deserve it. Otherwise he will scratch and claw his way to getting signed or drafted later on and eventually get to the show, if he deserves it.

Jacob8hockey*

Please don't hang me.

The kid will never play a game because of his Dad, he has to prove that himself. Being drafted that late is almost pointless considering that there will be many invited to camps and being given just as many chances.

I could have gotten drafted 211 and it would not have affected anyones chances of making it to the NHL, they would just become that undrafted player invited to camp.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB

Please don't hang me.

I feel the same. I saw more embarassment on Anthony's part to have been picked like that just because of VERY obvious nepotism. He'd have gone undrafted and likely never even sniffed the NHL if it were not for his father. He probably has a lot of pride too and to be drafted SO SO late while his hall of fame all star father was a 1st rounder might sting a bit for a young kid. We all know getting drafted at all is a privelege no matter where but I dunno. Looked a little awkward going for the hug. Good story though.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009

So because he's Brodeurs son, he didnt deserve to get picked? Come on. I'm sure he worked hard himself. Maybe he doesnt get drafted, maybe nobody in the 7th round makes the NHL.

It was a 7th round pick. To pick your own son into an organization you basically rose to prominence. He may never play an NHL game but atleast you can say you drafted your own son. I think its something where you have to not be such a whiner about it and just be happy. Unreal moment for the Brodeurs and New jersey, in New Jersey. keyword -Moment-

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad