G Anthony Brodeur - Penticton Vees, BCHL (2013, 208th, NJD)

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I honestly haven't seen them play but those numbers look pretty mediocre, it wouldn't be the first time that a players last name got him onto the Shattuck team and its not like they are that exceptional of a team to begin with. I'm assuming the younger ones are on one of the prep teams still if anyone can confirm?

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
"Draft ready" should definitely be in brackets. A 18-year-old, who isn't good enough to play J18 Elitserien, has zero NHL potential. Regardless who his father was.

while i agree, someone may take a late round flier on the kid soley on the fact that his pop has enough Norris Trophy's to think about renaming it the Lidstrom(not that they would)
I could see the isles grabbing him...i mean they DID draft the "better" lindros:shakehead:sarcasm::cry:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Shattuck goalies

Not sure where Brodeur fits in terms of being a prospect but it's interesting that he and Kyle Hayton split the goaltending for the Shattuck prep team this season. Sweden's Oscar Dansk is being talked about as possibly a fairly high pick in this year's draft. In the year he spent at Shattuck, Hayton handled the bulk of the goaltending when he and Dansk were on Shattuck's U16 team.

Yet I cannot find out much as to whether Hayton's committed to a school yet or will spend next year in junior hockey. And though he's a 1994 I haven't seen him (Hayton) mentioned in any draft previews (though I have a hunch his size might have something to do with that - Shattuck lists him at 5-11, 145 pounds).

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He played Midget B cause he was a dick... Not cause he sucked.

Anyone know his stats through ? I would to know how that team did with a former bantam AA kid on it.

Everybody says Perron's story is extraordinary but really... he played there because no one wanted to coach him in the higher levels.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
What he do to get a reputation as such a dick?

A number of things...I think he was pretty much uncoacheable...he saw himself as the second coming of Gretzky or something and wasn't inclined listen to advice from coaches. I think he had a nasty attitude and also had the reputation of being a ****** to his teammates.

Maybe someone else has more specific anecdotes...

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
A number of things...I think he was pretty much uncoacheable...he saw himself as the second coming of Gretzky or something and wasn't inclined listen to advice from coaches. I think he had a nasty attitude and also had the reputation of being a ****** to his teammates.

Maybe someone else has more specific anecdotes...

Wow, surprised he made it to the big show. Did he clean up his attitude at some point?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Wow, surprised he made it to the big show. Did he clean up his attitude at some point?

i guess so...you don't hear bad stories about him now so much. i think in his first year you heard it a bit...but iirc he was brought to the nhl right after the draft and then didn't get very much ice time while playing on the 4th line, which i'm sure sucked.

but i don't follow the blues that closely ... so someone else would probably remember better.

incidentally...when he was younger claude giroux didn't have the best reputation but that didn't hamper him in the long run. big judgements are made about players when they are young...14 years old...but people grow up.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Before his Midget B season, he was banned by his hockey organization for a year due to wrong behavior the year before. His dad paid him private ice hours every week so he would continue to play hockey. When he came back, coaches didn't want anything to do with him and his father had to take the coaching of the Midget B team. The following season, he was invited to his local Junior AAA team camp and he made it. Lewiston noticed him and drafted him as an 18 yo. He played there one year, got drafted in the NHL...

Being suspended from hockey probably helped him grow up a bit although I heard he was still a bit of a headcase in Lewiston. Being this way I think might have helped him not giving up on hockey. He seems to have always been pretty confident he was something special which ended up being a good and rewarding thing for him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Perron was a hotdog who got served a healthy dose of humble pie starting with his rookie year in the NHL. Andy Murray really put him through the paces.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I'd love to have him just to get a jersey with Brodeur on the back and have it mean something, not like Mike.

IkeaMonkey*

Being suspended from hockey probably helped him grow up a bit although I heard he was still a bit of a headcase in Lewiston.

What's funny is, as someone who worked with the Lewiston organization the year Perron played there, he was nothing but respectful to the staff in all encounters with him. Mind you, we weren't behind the bench during practice or anything of the sort, but he was never even a top 5 "ego-child" in that locker room.

Couturier Post

Aug 10, 2011
the 2013 draft IS going to be in NJ. If he's available at one of NJ's picks, they maybe tempted to take him even if he isn't the BPA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad