G Anthony Brodeur - Penticton Vees, BCHL (2013, 208th, NJD)

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
The kid will never play a game because of his Dad, he has to prove that himself. Being drafted that late is almost pointless considering that there will be many invited to camps and being given just as many chances.

Nonetheless, he got the title of being "drafted" just cause of nepotism.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
The kid will never play a game because of his Dad, he has to prove that himself. Being drafted that late is almost pointless considering that there will be many invited to camps and being given just as many chances.

I could have gotten drafted 211 and it would not have affected anyones chances of making it to the NHL, they would just become that undrafted player invited to camp.

Isn't the first guy given a chance because of his family.

he'll have to earn it himself from here.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
I feel the same. I saw more embarassment on Anthony's part to have been picked like that just because of VERY obvious nepotism. He'd have gone undrafted and likely never even sniffed the NHL if it were not for his father. He probably has a lot of pride too and to be drafted SO SO late while his hall of fame all star father was a 1st rounder might sting a bit for a young kid. We all know getting drafted at all is a privelege no matter where but I dunno. Looked a little awkward going for the hug. Good story though.

Agreed. I was pretty happy and emotional to see the interview and stuff but you know that feeling you get when you watch one of those Youtube videos where someone does really awkward things in public and you feel embaressed for them? I had that feeling.

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
If anything, him being drafted by the Devils may actually hurt him... he already has access to a great goaltending coach in his dad, already has access to what he needs to be physically conditioned to make the NHL, also from his father... so all being drafted does is potentially limit his chances to make it to the show because he's locked into one organization rather than being able to pick an organization with weak goaltending depth to go play for.

Still a classy move by the Devils.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
I feel the same. I saw more embarassment on Anthony's part to have been picked like that just because of VERY obvious nepotism. He'd have gone undrafted and likely never even sniffed the NHL if it were not for his father. He probably has a lot of pride too and to be drafted SO SO late while his hall of fame all star father was a 1st rounder might sting a bit for a young kid. We all know getting drafted at all is a privelege no matter where but I dunno. Looked a little awkward going for the hug. Good story though.

What the hell? His father just drafted him...and he was projected for the 7th round anyway. I mean not only was he drafted, but his dad called his name and you think he's embarrassed?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Of course. But the thing is, he took that pick away from another hard working prospect who might not get another chance. If I did that, I'd feel so guilty.

Simply not true.

Again, Anthony Brodeur was a totally legitimate 6th or 7th round pick.

Yes, obviously the Devils took him because of his Dad, but you're making it sound like he completely didn't deserve to be a 7th round NHL draft pick, which is simply false.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
You would think, from this thread, half of the users posting here had their NHL dream stolen by Brodeur. What a joke. Happy for the Devils and their fans.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You would think, from this thread, half of the users posting here had their NHL dream stolen by Brodeur. What a joke. Happy for the Devils and their fans.

It's mainly people who dont realize he's actually a decent player and are just assuming this was a 100% "charity" pick.

It wasnt.....

Brodeur will begin the season as a "C List" player on NHL Central Scouting's Futures List, an indicator he could be chosen in the fourth, fifth or sixth round of the 2013 draft.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637106

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Of course. But the thing is, he took that pick away from another hard working prospect who might not get another chance. If I did that, I'd feel so guilty.

Damn dude, relevant avatar :laugh:

This was great to see though. Class act by Lombardi to send a pick to the Devils so they can make this happen. Moments like this remind me how big of a family the NHL is.

:handclap:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I hadn't thought about it...but now that you mention it they could have picked me. Would give me bragging rights on my beer league buddies that school me on a regular basis.

"You think you're good...YOU didn't even get drafted"

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
To the people complaining that this pick stole an opportunity away from another draft pick: wow. It just goes to show that HFBoards is capable of taking any heart-warming, feel-good story and finding a way to criticize and complain about it. So please, just stop. This pick was valid and didn't steal anything from anyone. If any players who went undrafted today are good enough for the NHL down the line, then they'll make it, regardless of not having been drafted. Just ask two-time Art Ross Trophy winner, former league MVP and Stanley Cup Champion Martin St. Louis, or two-time Vezina Trophy winning, Stanley Cup Champion and Conn Smythe recipient Tim Thomas. If you're good enough, you're in. Not making it in the end due to not being drafted is just an excuse.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
What a surprise, people trying to put a negative light on an awesome moment.

This was absolutely great, the Devils show what a true family they really are. Outstanding moment to watch, couldn't be happier for Marty and his family!

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
To the people complaining that this pick stole an opportunity away from another draft pick: wow. It just goes to show that HFBoards is capable of taking any heart-warming, feel-good story and finding a way to criticize and complain about it. So please, just stop. This pick was valid and didn't steal anything from anyone. If any players who went undrafted today are good enough for the NHL down the line, then they'll make it, regardless of not having been drafted. Just ask two-time Art Ross Trophy winner, former league MVP and Stanley Cup Champion Martin St. Louis, or two-time Vezina Trophy winning, Stanley Cup Champion and Conn Smythe recipient Tim Thomas. If you're good enough, you're in. Not making it in the end due to not being drafted is just an excuse.

Not to nitpick, but Thomas was drafted by Québec.

DevilChuk*

i would have rather seem them draft a sick kid or something. all i saw was a spoiled kid getting the rub from his dad

So why not bash the 29 other teams who could have done that with their 7th round pick? Devils aren't the only team who had a 7th round pick ya know

Draft in NJ, in front of Devils fans, Marty in the building going into his swan song.. too good of a moment NOT to take Anthony.

tacoburrito

Dec 1, 2009
www.cybernations.net
So why not bash the 29 other teams who could have done that with their 7th round pick? Devils aren't the only team who had a 7th round pick ya know

Draft in NJ, in front of Devils fans, Marty in the building going into his swan song.. too good of a moment NOT to take Anthony.

the other 29 teams weren't hosting the event. im not bashing anyone btw.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
So..because he's Marty's son, he didn't deserve to be picked, even though he projected to be picked in the 6th or 7th round.

Got it.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Very classy move by DL. Nice to know there apparently aren't any grudges held from the Kovy saga, or the SCF

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Very classy move by DL. Nice to know there apparently aren't any grudges held from the Kovy saga, or the SCF

That would be silly to hold grudges because of the two teams previous connections. Nothing but respect for the Kings and their entire organization.

tacoburrito

Dec 1, 2009
www.cybernations.net
Only those hosting the event are allowed to engage in charity work?

not at all, but it would have meant more if NJ did it. home arena, your fans ect. i know there are some good kids out there who will never play a hockey game in their life and love it.. why not give them a chance to live their dream rather than a kid whose already attending the best schools probably gets the best of everything in life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad