Post-Game Talk: Fun game! Leafs win 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Millen drives me nuts honestly. The color guy needs to know what he is talking about, and Millen sounds like an enthusiast who started watching hockey last year. I have no idea how he turned the Hedman goal into a bad change. That was Hyman's guy, he got beat by Hedman and couldn't recover. And his read on the Kucherov steal towards the end was laughable as well. He couldn't have gotten it more wrong.

Just feels like a good read or point from him is more exception than rule.

Actually, Hyman was with the right side d-man on the back check and Nylander went to the bench for a change leaving Hyman with both D. By the time he could switch off to the far side for Hedman, it was too late as Hedmen took off as soon as he saw Nylander go to the bench and was left unmarked. I agree on the Hyman turn over though, he needs to be harder on those pucks and get it out when he has the chance. He didn't have a very good game imo.

RLF

May 5, 2014
We need to talk to this in a different thread.

We aren't going to agree on this one anyway, no reason to flood this thread.

We both want him to play well and help the team win, just looking at it from 2 different views.

He played well last night and has been better more often than not the last 7 games. Overall, the team played well. And yes, I want him to do well.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yea, you did

"Who cares what his offensive number are this year. Always going to be an asterisk beside this years numbers.

Just show up in the playoffs and I don't care if he scores in reg season."

I actually do care. If he doesn't produce this year, which is what he is paid to do, then he is making his money to produce for 5 years. He has played better, but he is paid to produce. Plain and simple. It's not like he is paid for defensive play or grinding or to be a leader etc. He is paid to produce and last night is one more game he didn't. He played well last night, but he has to produce.

Yes let's hope he is saving his goals and assists for the playoffs. With 36 games remaining he is on pace to finish the regular season with 3 goals and 6 assists. I think he could get to 20 but who would have thought that he would be on pace to score 9 points in his shortened season? Mind boggling.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Was 1-1 when I had to stop watching.
Heard after that Nylander was benched and Gardiner was boo'd.
Were both of those true?

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Were both of those true?
Supposedly the Gardiner boos were actually Tampa fans, I think this is according to someone that was at the game. I think Nylander was only benched for Matthews last couple shifts (approx. 2-3 mins left), so it was Brown-Matt-Hyman to play defence, as Babs has done for a long time now.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Were both of those true?

I didn't hear anymore boos on Gardiner except at the beginning of the game and Nylander was sat at the end and replaced with Brown for his defensive play. Nothing unusual.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Supposedly the Gardiner boos were actually Tampa fans, I think this is according to someone that was at the game. I think Nylander was only benched for Matthews last couple shifts (approx. 2-3 mins left), so it was Brown-Matt-Hyman to play defence, as Babs has done for a long time now.
:thumbu:

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Were both of those true?
Nylander seemed pretty engaged yesterday just missed the net a lot and lost control of the puck several times but I thought he was good. I think they changed the line in the last 5 minutes since they had the empty net and Babcock wanted defensive forwards on the ice. As for Gardiner, from the tweets it looked like Tampa Bay fans were trolling him.

Reactions: garce and ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Uh, we outchanced and out possessed them. It's not like we didn't deserve the win. Last game they literally didn't deserve it and won because of vasi.
It's funny how those cross-ice passes for one-timers, especially on the PP, that Kucherov and Stamkos score on do often, don't count as high danger chances, because they are outside someone's definition of a zone.

Someone posted that Tampa only had three scoring chances in the game. Ridiculous.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We just beat what could be the best team in the cap era, and this place is all about whining about a player who was pretty good last night.

I don't know why I even bother to come here anymore.

ive cut back myself man, GDTs have become horrible I try to not go in them at all but I still go in to just check up on it and get sucked in.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Vasy wins 1. Freddy wins 1. Great to see Freddy dominate the game. Like I said yesterday it is the hockey gods. The Leafs win one they probably should have lost. But we killed Tampa last game and lost. So the hockey gods made things right. I really like us to take Tampa in a 7 game series. I think we have more guns then they do. And a fast paced high skill game is exactly what we like. The only issue is round 1 to me and we need to really think through how we are going to win that one.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Were both of those true?

the usual last 5 mins benching for nylander. nothing out of the ordinary. There were some boos but some say it was tampa fans trolling

Reactions: ACC1224

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Gord Miller is a joke too, be careful what you wish for
He sucks when he's giving his opinion on things like on the radio -- but he's bearable when he's doing the play by play, I like Ferraro too.

Millen makes me want to watch the game on mute.

Reactions: Walshy7 and garce

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
It's funny how those cross-ice passes for one-timers, especially on the PP, that Kucherov and Stamkos score on do often, don't count as high danger chances, because they are outside someone's definition of a zone.

Someone posted that Tampa only had three scoring chances in the game. Ridiculous.

Yeah they were telegraphed in advance with Freddy always in position and our guys having the shooting lanes clogged as well. How about the insane saves vasi had to make? Give these two teams two shit goalies and leafs still come out on top.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I thought Gards had his best game of year last night. I saw him throw his weight around a little. I saw him dig deep and fight harder for pucks. I don't like all his stretch passes but I think that is a Babs thing. Anyways none were intercepted last night. Maybe it is a good thing for him when he gets booed. Loved the piss and vinegar last night. That's what i want to see from my defensemen.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
He sucks when he's giving his opinion on things like on the radio -- but he's bearable when he's doing the play by play, I like Ferraro too.

Yeah, Miller’s play by play is fine, little chance to show his obnoxious personality like he does on Leaf Lunch.
I wish Cuthbert and Ferraro would do every Leaf game.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Millen drives me nuts honestly. The color guy needs to know what he is talking about, and Millen sounds like an enthusiast who started watching hockey last year. I have no idea how he turned the Hedman goal into a bad change. That was Hyman's guy, he got beat by Hedman and couldn't recover. And his read on the Kucherov steal towards the end was laughable as well. He couldn't have gotten it more wrong.

Just feels like a good read or point from him is more exception than rule.
Hes an idiot he said something along the lines of Hedman had the green light...yes dumbass Greg hes a Norris calibre two way dman who drives offense its not something he has to be told to do.

Then he said Marner tipped the puck into the neutral zone instead of into the net lol

Last edited:

RLF

May 5, 2014
Hes an idiot he said something along the lines of Hedman had the green light...yes dumbass Greg hes a orris calibre two way dman who drives offense its not something he has to be told to do.

Then he said Marner tipped the puck into the neutral zone instead of into the net lol

Yes, saying that Hedman has the green light is obvious. He wasn't wrong on the Hedman goal though. Hedman was Willy's guy and Willy made a bad change. Other than that Nylander played a good game I thought.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Yes, saying that Hedman has the green light is obvious. He wasn't wrong on the Hedman goal though. Hedman was Willy's guy and Willy made a bad change. Other than that Nylander played a good game I thought.
Im not too sure about that particular play but he makes my brain numb he absolutely has no idea what hes aking about. Then he gets fixated on one play and jerks off to it for half the game (ie vasilevskis pass on the goal)

RLF

May 5, 2014
Im not too sure about that particular play but he makes my brain numb he absolutely has no idea what hes aking about. Then he gets fixated on one play and jerks off to it for half the game (ie vasilevskis pass on the goal)

lol. I just try and watch and kind of tune most of that out anyway.

Reactions: WillNy29

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Nylander was pointless and actually benched by his coach the last five minutes, yet the narrative is still that he had a “good game”.

It’s too much.

It’s just too much...

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

maybe bbecause of his ridiculous opinions but I think his game calling has fallen off a cliff too. Perhaps Romanuk was so bad miller seemed a lot better, now no romanuk miller stands out as poor to me. He mistakes players just as much as romanuk just without the "bobcat" level of errors.

If you could guarantee me Cuthbert and ferraro sign me up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad