Post-Game Talk: Fun game! Leafs win 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Let's not forget Marner had only 2 goals in his first 30-odd games last year. Nylander will come around. It's a combination of his late start to the year plus expectations of his new contract.

You see that all the time when players sign a new large contract, they put more pressure on themselves to perform to 'prove' they worth what they signed and it usually (especially when they start slow) makes it worse.

Willie is too good to be playing like this. Part of me wonders if he is playing like this because he knows he will eventually be traded. Playing a weak Panther team tonight. He should be able to hit the score sheet we hope.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
ok fair enough, but did we win? would you rather nylander out there or brown?. Doesn't matter how much nylander gets paid babs will choose his boy brown in almost every circumstance. It is also a way babcock uses to get browns ice time up because "he isn't a 4th liner".

I don't get the whining now about nylanders contract, it affects the teams salary cap this year 0%, and everybody's favourites marner and Matthews are getting signed who gives a **** if some depth players are moved because of it?, when an actual top player moves because of nylander then its an issue. Thankfully because of nylander we cant sign Gardiner for example. Its not your money and it doesn't affect the make up of the squad this season so who gives a ****
You wonder why people are toxic about nylander? Because some people here put him above guys like Gardiner to a degree that becomes insulting to those who like Jake. I hate the constant sniping at Nylander but it is posts like yours that really gets me peeved. Has it occurred to you that there are many people here that think that the difference without Nylander on a team with tons of forward depth would have less impact than a team without Gardiner? The sniping about Willy should stop but the Willy above all attitude has to stop as well.

Reactions: mix1home

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You wonder why people are toxic about nylander? Because some people here put him above guys like Gardiner to a degree that becomes insulting to those who like Jake. I hate the constant sniping at Nylander but it is posts like yours that really gets me peeved. Has it occurred to you that there are many people here that think that the difference without Nylander on a team with tons of forward depth would have less impact than a team without Gardiner? The sniping about Willy should stop but the Willy above all attitude has to stop as well.

willy above all else? talk about drawing a conclusion that isn't even near the realm of my point.

Gardiner at $6M+ is a worse deal than nylander's that's all my point is, because of the crunch it is highly unlikely we pay Gardiner. We need to upgrade Gardiner, we aren't upgrading willy. We have willy's upgrade in marner.

What forward depth have we lost because of nylander by the way? josh leivo? without josh leivo and say we trade kapanen (I hope we don't) we still have tons of forward depth. So how about nylande rwith tons of forward depth and an upgrade on Gardiner perhaps using some of that forward depth?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
willy above all else? talk about drawing a conclusion that isn't even near the realm of my point.

Gardiner at $6M+ is a worse deal than nylander's that's all my point is, because of the crunch it is highly unlikely we pay Gardiner. We need to upgrade Gardiner, we aren't upgrading willy. We have willy's upgrade in marner.

What forward depth have we lost because of nylander by the way? josh leivo? without josh leivo and say we trade kapanen (I hope we don't) we still have tons of forward depth. So how about nylande rwith tons of forward depth and an upgrade on Gardiner perhaps using some of that forward depth?
Gardiner is the second best dman on the team. The difference between him and the other guys is huge. Willy isnt even the fourth best forward on a team right now on a team loaded with superstars who was signed for an average of 7.5mm per year in salary. To say Gardiner @6 is of less value right now is hilarious. Hard not to be critical over such comparisons.

Reactions: mix1home

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Gardiner is the second best dman on the team. The difference between him and the other guys is huge. Willy isnt even the fourth best forward on a team right now on a team loaded with superstars who was signed for an average of 7.5mm per year in salary. To say Gardiner @6 is of less value right now is hilarious. Hard not to be critical over such comparisons.

Gardiner is 2nd best dman you are right, remember when kessel was our best player?. Gardiner being our 2nd best dman is the problem 3rd or 4th gardiner would fit a lot better

Edit: nylanders AAV is $7m no need to just add a $500k to emphasize your point, because salary means nothing to us as fans or at least shouldn’t. Who gives a shit if there was a way to pay marner $40m per yr as long as his AAV is ~$10m

Last edited:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Gardiner is 2nd best dman you are right, remember when kessel was our best player?. Gardiner being our 2nd best dman is the problem 3rd or 4th gardiner would fit a lot better

Edit: nylanders AAV is $7m no need to just add a $500k to emphasize your point, because salary means nothing to us as fans or at least shouldn’t. Who gives a **** if there was a way to pay marner $40m per yr as long as his AAV is ~$10m
His aaV is 10mm this year. No need to reduce it to 7mm. Take the total contract and divide it by 6 years and see what you get.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
His aaV is 10mm this year. No need to reduce it to 7mm. Take the total contract and divide it by 6 years and see what you get.

I’m sorry I thought we were talking about when were in a cap crunch? During that time his AAV is $6.96. So I rounded it up technically, even though we know that 0.04 doesn’t matter. Why are you worried about this non cap crunch year? We have $5m in space so again nylander isn’t affecting upgrades this year. No need to “take the total and divide by 6” the AAV is all that matters $7m

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Leafs won last night. Tampa won the previous game. Love to see them meet is the Eastern final.
With PO format as it is, Tampa should drop to 8th place for that to happen. Our division has arguably 3 best teams in entire NHL and you need to get through those to get to ecf, where one of the pit or was will be waiting. Not easy way to the cup. That is for sure.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I’m sorry I thought we were talking about when were in a cap crunch? During that time his AAV is $6.96. So I rounded it up technically, even though we know that 0.04 doesn’t matter. Why are you worried about this non cap crunch year? We have $5m in space so again nylander isn’t affecting upgrades this year. No need to “take the total and divide by 6” the AAV is all that matters $7m
You were the one to raise an issue with Jake @6. Willy over everyone I guess.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You were the one to raise an issue with Jake @6. Willy over everyone I guess.

The issue of paying jake at $6m is that we would be in a cap crucnch, so next year then you started on about $10m aav which is only this year for nylander. Jake at $6m+ I’d prefer nylander. Upgrade jake is the goal here, nylander is 5th best forward (In your opinion) 3 of them will be paid more than him next year won’t they? So then he’d be maybe slotted one spot too high in terms of pay so your silly catchphrase “nylander over everything” doesn’t work.

Unless you are suggesting I think matthews and marner should earn less?.

Jake isn’t a #2 dman, I’d say not even a #3 so you want to pay him $6m just because he is 2nd best on THIS team

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
If you can't call out Willy, who can you call out in this league? Not only is he really overrated, but his character sucks too, and he's greedy. If you can't call out Nylander, you can't call out anyone.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

His contract is $6.9m AAV. The only reason why his cap hit is so high this season, is because he's being paid the $6.9m over a 56 game span, due to the first 26 games he sat out. So take the $6.9m, divide it by 56 games, then multiply it over the standard 82 game season. That's why his cap hit is so bizarre this season.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
His contract is $6.9m AAV. The only reason why his cap hit is so high this season, is because he's being paid the $6.9m over a 56 game span, due to the first 26 games he sat out. So take the $6.9m, divide it by 56 games, then multiply it over the standard 82 game season. That's why his cap hit is so bizarre this season.
This nonsense has to stop. His salary is 12, 9, 6, 6, 6, 6 or 45mm over 6 years. 45mm/6 is 7.5mm. Spin away what he is paid. I understand the cap calcs but most people are in denial about what he is paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->