Post-Game Talk: Fun game! Leafs win 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
He declined the next season. Slower this season than last. Slower last season than the one before that. Plays like a scaredy-brat.
He was fine last season, his 5v5 production improved and if he had the same PP stats in the second season as his first he would have hit 70-75 pts. Why are you spewing bs? And as for this season, he finally looks back to normal.

The SAME posters who are crapping on william now were crapping on kapanen when he was playing on the fourth line last year.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He was fine last season, his 5v5 production improved and if he had the same PP stats in the second season as his first he would have hit 70-75 pts. Why are you spewing bs? And as for this season, he finally looks back to normal.

The SAME posters who are crapping on william now were crapping on kapanen when he was playing on the fourth line last year.

That poster the wave, was crapping all over marner for more than a year. He flipped the switch and went full court press to nylander. He is a sensationalist attention seeker I wouldn’t bother arguing with him

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

His production declined last season. The league made changes that caused scoring to go up. Nylander just didn't benefit because the decline where Marner did benefit because he took advantage.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
His production declined last season. The league made changes that caused scoring to go up. Nylander just didn't benefit because the decline where Marner did benefit because he took advantage.

It literally takes 30 sec to check a website for his stats.

Same amount of points last season as the season before, how is that a decline ?

Your reasoning why at the end of your post is just you repeating you first sentence...

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
That poster the wave, was crapping all over marner for more than a year. He flipped the switch and went full court press to nylander. He is a sensationalist attention seeker I wouldn’t bother arguing with him
thanks for the advice

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Luckily we don't have too, his first series against the caps was excellent. Your memory isn't very good.
No it was not. He was fine in open ice but again when threat of being hit was present when going for a puck he stopped skating. He never attempted to block a shot or get to the wall to get the puck out. He was on his usual spot late in the games we were winning on the bench. He fails to engage in the game to help us win.
If he continues to play this way in this years playoffs he will be gone. Last night he never saw the ice late in the second period and the last 5 minutes of the game. I thought that he had a good game last nigh, but he always shots high and misses the net far to much.

Hopefully he starts to play hard in all areas of the ice as he is a very skilled player who could become a core player. Otherwise he is a highly paid complimentary player.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
See, I can't buy into that. If Willy wasn't prepared to play or we thought maybe this could happen, he should be getting a one year deal at about $3M and we give him his 6X$7M next summer if he comes around late in the season and plays well in the playoffs. I know it doesn't work that way and ultimately doesn't matter this year cap wise, but being as unprepared as it seemed he was, his lack of effort for the first 10+ games, he can't hit the net etc...really rubs me the wrong way. I believe you need to earn your pay...he isn't.

He earned his contract over the last 2 seasons.

He has started slow and is on his way back. He has admitted that it was a bad idea to start late.

Maybe wait more then 18 games to judge a 6 year contract.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It literally takes 30 sec to check a website for his stats.

Same amount of points last season as the season before, how is that a decline ?

Your reasoning why at the end of your post is just you repeating you first sentence...

Maybe I didn't say this correctly... Almost every player under the sun that was comparable had a better season than Nylander because league changes. Nylander stalled where he should have went up by the 8-10% bump comparable players got.

RLF

May 5, 2014
He earned his contract over the last 2 seasons.

He has started slow and is on his way back. He has admitted that it was a bad idea to start late.

Maybe wait more then 18 games to judge a 6 year contract.

Man, you are missing my point. I am not judging all 6 years of the contract. He is still getting paid his $7M this year to not produce. I would like $7M worth all 6 years, not for 5 of them. Wouldn't you?
Going by your "it's ok if he doesn't produce this year" is basically ok with giving him $42M for the final 5 years because you are ok with writing off the first year. That is the equivalent to $8.4M per season for 5 years. You may be fine with that, I'm not.

Woodenstiks

Jan 31, 2018
Great game but some old faults showed up in the last two minutes that are cause for concern;
1. Semi stretch pass by Gardner I think that ended up as an icing and set up the TB push in the last two minutes. Not a smart play.
2. Couldn’t win a face off in own own end when it counted after TB pulled their goalie - actually I think Leafs won one face off -barely- and couldn’t get it out . None cleanly.
3. When they did touch the puck in the TB push they couldn’t get out of their own end. To be fair the first minute or so after the goalie pull leafs had a tired bunch out there but after they put fresh troops out same pattern
4. Same old issue when a good team pushes they collapse around the net and set up a turkey shoot. Thank god for Freddy. How many of you watching the last two minutes yelled out “Wtf are you doing?”

Close but not out of the woods yet.....

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Maybe I didn't say this correctly... Almost every player under the sun that was comparable had a better season than Nylander because league changes. Nylander stalled where he should have went up by the 8-10% bump comparable players got.

What players are you referring to ?

Did they all by any chance get more playing time, PP time etc (I haven't checked, because I don't have the time) ?

or since that doesn't support your case you avoid checking. If your going to compare players under that close of a microscope you need to compare more then just points.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What players are you referring to ?

Did they all by any chance get more playing time, PP time etc (I haven't checked, because I don't have the time) ?

or since that doesn't support your case you avoid checking. If your going to compare players under that close of a microscope you need to compare more then just points.

I took large groups. There were over 40 players or something with over .90 p/gp. The year prior we had 16. This year more changes were made and last I looked we are on pace for 50-60 players. The 7 years prior there were always under 20 players with that pace. No coincidence.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Man, you are missing my point. I am not judging all 6 years of the contract. He is still getting paid his $7M this year to not produce. I would like $7M worth all 6 years, not for 5 of them. Wouldn't you?
Going by your "it's ok if he doesn't produce this year" is basically ok with giving him $42M for the final 5 years because you are ok with writing off the first year. That is the equivalent to $8.4M per season for 5 years. You may be fine with that, I'm not.

Never said its okay if he doesn't produce this year.

His numbers were always going to look bad this year. He missed a huge portion of the season. So don't worry about the numbers. Playoffs is what matters.

There is no equivalent to paying him 8.4 mil a season. He is getting 7 mil, that point to me is ridiculous.

Don’t turn this into a Nylander contract discussion

Sorry, I agree we are arguing this on the wrong thread.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Millen drives me nuts honestly. The color guy needs to know what he is talking about, and Millen sounds like an enthusiast who started watching hockey last year. I have no idea how he turned the Hedman goal into a bad change. That was Hyman's guy, he got beat by Hedman and couldn't recover. And his read on the Kucherov steal towards the end was laughable as well. He couldn't have gotten it more wrong.

Just feels like a good read or point from him is more exception than rule.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Fun game to watch and big win for the Leafs against the best and hottest team in the NHL.

Another example of great coaching by Babs to get this done.

That said the Lightning look deadly and a team that can light up the scoreboard at any time, particularly that PP that fires away at will.

Last edited:

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Parents and coaches have been screaming "PLAY THE WHISTLE" since these guys played any sport, yet somehow they still don't get it. That last goal (whether legit or not) looks bad on the TB players on the ice. Both Kap and Hyman didn't stop, while all 6 TB players decided the play was over.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Parents and coaches have been screaming "PLAY THE WHISTLE" since these guys played any sport, yet somehow they still don't get it. That last goal (whether legit or not) looks bad on the TB players on the ice. Both Kap and Hyman didn't stop, while all 6 TB players decided the play was over.
Yeah. And I think it's inconsequential, as I'm pretty sure that Hyman would have beat them to the puck anyway.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Never said its okay if he doesn't produce this year.

His numbers were always going to look bad this year. He missed a huge portion of the season. So don't worry about the numbers. Playoffs is what matters.

There is no equivalent to paying him 8.4 mil a season. He is getting 7 mil, that point to me is ridiculous.

Sorry, I agree we are arguing this on the wrong thread.

Yea, you did

"Who cares what his offensive number are this year. Always going to be an asterisk beside this years numbers.

Just show up in the playoffs and I don't care if he scores in reg season."

I actually do care. If he doesn't produce this year, which is what he is paid to do, then he is making his money to produce for 5 years. He has played better, but he is paid to produce. Plain and simple. It's not like he is paid for defensive play or grinding or to be a leader etc. He is paid to produce and last night is one more game he didn't. He played well last night, but he has to produce.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Millen drives me nuts honestly. The color guy needs to know what he is talking about, and Millen sounds like an enthusiast who started watching hockey last year. I have no idea how he turned the Hedman goal into a bad change. That was Hyman's guy, he got beat by Hedman and couldn't recover. And his read on the Kucherov steal towards the end was laughable as well. He couldn't have gotten it more wrong.

Just feels like a good read or point from him is more exception than rule.

Sucks so much that sportnet got the NHL deal

I hate sportsnet broadcast compared to TSN

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Yea, you did

"Who cares what his offensive number are this year. Always going to be an asterisk beside this years numbers.

Just show up in the playoffs and I don't care if he scores in reg season."

I actually do care. If he doesn't produce this year, which is what he is paid to do, then he is making his money to produce for 5 years. He has played better, but he is paid to produce. Plain and simple. It's not like he is paid for defensive play or grinding or to be a leader etc. He is paid to produce and last night is one more game he didn't. He played well last night, but he has to produce.

We need to talk to this in a different thread.

We aren't going to agree on this one anyway, no reason to flood this thread.

We both want him to play well and help the team win, just looking at it from 2 different views.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
so everything is ok again in leafland?

because the sky has been falling these past few weeks

wait till they go back on a hot streak... then the teeter-totter will tip again lol... it's humorous up in this place

That's what happens when you have millions of people in a group. They tend to have different opinions, emotional reactions and ideas. Or did you think "Leafland" consisted of one person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad