Post-Game Talk: Fun game! Leafs win 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
For the 2nd head to head game in a row, the Leafs' defense was flat out better than the Bolts' defense.

The only superiority the Bolts have shown in the 2 head to heads is 1) they've been more dangerous with the extra attacker, and b) they've received better goaltending.

Their PP makes ours look pathetic. Every one on the ice is a one timer threat with little Point finding space in the slot. And it seems like they keep their top unit on the entire line

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And let's talk about all those "one timers" people have been crowing about the Bolts getting while they had the man advantage.

Those were all excellently defended by the Leafs, imo.

1) the crease was clear on ALL of them. just a fantastic job by the dmen to give freddy a clear view with no screens or tips.

2) all of them were one-pass shots, moving in one direction - not once were they able to pass a 2nd time across the crease to get freddy to really have to scramble.

3) all of them were from well out beyond the dot.

4) there was actually one of them that was legit dangerous. but just one. when hedman was able to do a nice fake to stamkos and sneak it back to Kucherov which faked out nearly the whole team....except for Freddy, who was all over it.

But keeping them to long distance, crease-cleared one-pass one-timers when they had the man advantage is legit good defense.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Their PP makes ours look pathetic. Every one on the ice is a one timer threat with little Point finding space in the slot. And it seems like they keep their top unit on the entire line

well, our PP looked as good as theirs for a good while this year. But no doubt it's in a funk.

I have faith in them. It's just too much talent not be awesome again.

but yeah, of course they keep their best guys on most of the PP. pretty much every team does. except us.

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
well, our PP looked as good as theirs for a good while this year. But no doubt it's in a funk.

I have faith in them. It's just too much talent not be awesome again.

but yeah, of course they keep their best guys on most of the PP. pretty much every team does. except us.
The Leafs PP did still lead the league in expected goals last time I checked. It sucks they haven't scored, but they will break through again soon

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
The PP will come around, the chances are there in spades right now and as always they'll eventually start going in, it's just how hockey works.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
And let's talk about all those "one timers" people have been crowing about the Bolts getting while they had the man advantage.

Those were all excellently defended by the Leafs, imo.

1) the crease was clear on ALL of them. just a fantastic job by the dmen to give freddy a clear view with no screens or tips.

2) all of them were one-pass shots, moving in one direction - not once were they able to pass a 2nd time across the crease to get freddy to really have to scramble.

3) all of them were from well out beyond the dot.

4) there was actually one of them that was legit dangerous. but just one. when hedman was able to do a nice fake to stamkos and sneak it back to Kucherov which faked out nearly the whole team....except for Freddy, who was all over it.

But keeping them to long distance, crease-cleared one-pass one-timers when they had the man advantage is legit good defense.
Thought the same, most were pretty easy stops. Not cross-ice, little movement and no traffic

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
But I continuously hear how “great” he’s playing even though he’s not putting up points. Then I see him benched in the 3rd during a close game.

You just have bad eyes for evaluating Hockey play, probably, it's okay that you're not good at it, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You just have bad eyes for evaluating Hockey play, probably, it's okay that you're not good at it, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
So he’s not doing anything on the scoresheet... and he’s doing so “amazing” outside of the score sheet that the coach benched him during the most important parts of the game.

The amount of mental gymnastic necessary to defend him at this point...

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
So he’s not doing anything on the scoresheet... and he’s doing so “amazing” outside of the score sheet that the coach benched him during the most important parts of the game.

The amount of mental gymnastic necessary to defend him at this point...

The only one doing mental gymnastics to arrive at any conclusion here is YOU. The rest of us are actually watching the games and forming our opinions from that and nothing else.

Reactions: cipher

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

The number of mental gymnastics necessary to defend him at this point...

He is in an early season slump, most likely from being a holdout, the team is playing well, chill out already

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I thought Tampa was the better team last night slightly but we got big time goaltending at end of game. That point can't be undersold. We need a goalie who can carry team late in games when other team pressuring. So far this year Freddy has done it.

But we were the better team last game and Vasy won Tampa that game. That's hockey.

I'd rather play Tampa in round 1 then Bruins. We need to manage standings so we don't end up with a Bruins 1st round match-up. We don't have the personnel for that series. I'd rather drop to 4th place if required.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I thought Tampa was the better team last night slightly but we got big time goaltending at end of game. That point can't be undersold. We need a goalie who can carry team late in games when other team pressuring. So far this year Freddy has done it.

But we were the better team last game and Vasy won Tampa that game. That's hockey.

I'd rather play Tampa in round 1 then Bruins. We need to manage standings so we don't end up with a Bruins 1st round match-up. We don't have the personnel for that series. I'd rather drop to 4th place if required.

Tampa was not the better team yesterday

We controlled play and had by far the better chances. The only time they looked dangerous was with a man advantage. Even then we defended well.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
That you don’t give 7 million dollars to players you have to bench when the game gets “close”.

It's more along the lines of it being a good sign about this team. We have so many great and good players that it will take him time to work his way back into that group that is counted on to close out games.

When we need a goal...he won't be benched. This was about playing the situation. We needed solid defense in the third. Willie has amazing offensive skills but he's average or just a bit above defensively so it's not unusual to see him not used for a short stretch.

Some people somehow saw him play a bad game last night. I wonder what alternate stream they were watching.

Reactions: Melo Meds

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
It's more along the lines of it being a good sign about this team. We have so many great and good players that it will take him time to work his way back into that group that is counted on to close out games.

When we need a goal...he won't be benched. This was about playing the situation. We needed solid defense in the third. Willie has amazing offensive skills but he's average or just a bit above defensively so it's not unusual to see him not used for a short stretch.

Some people somehow saw him play a bad game last night. I wonder what alternate stream they were watching.

Nylander actually hustled yesterday. I'll give him that.

But his passing and shot look absolutely awful. It looks like he hasn't touched a puck in years

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
The Leafs PP did still lead the league in expected goals last time I checked. It sucks they haven't scored, but they will break through again soon

They look like they are squeezing their sticks a bit too hard and looking for the pretty play rather then just getting it on net and crashing away for those rebounds. Have to make opponents respect our ability to crash the low slot so that Marner and Mo have more room to work some magic.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The only one doing mental gymnastics to arrive at any conclusion here is YOU. The rest of us are actually watching the games and forming our opinions from that and nothing else.
I love this. The guy signs for 7 mil per, more than his comparables, has averaged like .130 points per game since he returned, and gets benched by the coach when the game is close.

Yet IM the one using mental gymnastic in criticizing him.

It’s too much.

ITS TOO MUCH!!!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And I gotta say, while the whole game was good, that 3rd period was a work of art.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed the leafs protecting a 1 goal lead as much as I did last night. They were so aggressive in every zone to protect the lead - none of this passive shell crap. The 3rd period was perfect. The bolts got NOTHING that period until they pulled their goalie.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
With all the love juggling that goes on, why are Matthews and Marner never tried together at ES? They seem like such an obvious combination (Marner the playmaker opening up shooting opportunities for Matthews the sniper).

I understood maybe before Tavares as arrived. But with all the depth we have now, putting those two together seems at least worth trying, no?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
He is in an early season slump, most likely from being a holdout, the team is playing well, chill out already

Let's not forget Marner had only 2 goals in his first 30-odd games last year. Nylander will come around. It's a combination of his late start to the year plus expectations of his new contract.

You see that all the time when players sign a new large contract, they put more pressure on themselves to perform to 'prove' they worth what they signed and it usually (especially when they start slow) makes it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad