Post-Game Talk: Fun game! Leafs win 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nylander was pointless and actually benched by his coach the last five minutes, yet the narrative is still that he had a “good game”.

It’s too much.

It’s just too much...

babs benched him just like every other game in his career, so what you are saying is nylander has never had a good game in his career?.

Reactions: MapleLeafs77

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
We need Willie to do more than "look engaged." Isn't that the bare minimum we would expect from a Marlies callup, let alone our $7 million star? It's been 7 weeks since he signed. No more excuses! Time to produce, Willie!

RLF

May 5, 2014
Nylander was pointless and actually benched by his coach the last five minutes, yet the narrative is still that he had a “good game”.

It’s too much.

It’s just too much...

Man, you're going to give yourself a heart attack.lol

In comparison to past games. He had a good game. His compete was up, he created opportunities. He battled harder. Still couldn't hit a barn door with a shot, which drives me nuts.
His defensive play, I don't think Babcock will ever really trust that and it is not uncommon for him to be sat in the last couple of minutes while protecting a lead. I'm glad he is on the bench at that time.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I didn't think the Leafs would win last night but they did. I hope this becomes a bit of a turning point on the season for them. Too many good players there and I'm loving Kapanen.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That you don’t give 7 million dollars to players you have to bench when the game gets “close”.

ok fair enough, but did we win? would you rather nylander out there or brown?. Doesn't matter how much nylander gets paid babs will choose his boy brown in almost every circumstance. It is also a way babcock uses to get browns ice time up because "he isn't a 4th liner".

I don't get the whining now about nylanders contract, it affects the teams salary cap this year 0%, and everybody's favourites marner and Matthews are getting signed who gives a shit if some depth players are moved because of it?, when an actual top player moves because of nylander then its an issue. Thankfully because of nylander we cant sign Gardiner for example. Its not your money and it doesn't affect the make up of the squad this season so who gives a shit

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I didn't watch this game. Was gery interested in it. Thats 2 strong games against the best team in the league and division/ conference rival. We match up well against them. Its a great team over there but we conpete with them.

I wouldn't bet the farm we could win a playoff series against but i feel it could go either way in a series. Thats not bad to know.

Willy is flat for scoeing right now and if he gets his scoring MoJo back soon it could help us much more on a competitive element.

Great game! Needed win. We needed that one in a way :))

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
ok fair enough, but did we win? would you rather nylander out there or brown?. Doesn't matter how much nylander gets paid babs will choose his boy brown in almost every circumstance. It is also a way babcock uses to get browns ice time up because "he isn't a 4th liner".

I don't get the whining now about nylanders contract, it affects the teams salary cap this year 0%, and everybody's favourites marner and Matthews are getting signed who gives a **** if some depth players are moved because of it?, when an actual top player moves because of nylander then its an issue. Thankfully because of nylander we cant sign Gardiner for example. Its not your money and it doesn't affect the make up of the squad this season so who gives a ****
You’re really asking my why I care about overpaying our players in a cap world where we’re facing a cap crunch?

Reactions: mix1home and Al14

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
How much a guy gets paid is largely based on his points in today's NHL. It has very little with how good a defensively responsible player you are. Much like Kessel doesn't play late when protecting lead either.
But I continuously hear how “great” he’s playing even though he’s not putting up points. Then I see him benched in the 3rd during a close game.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
But I continuously hear how “great” he’s playing even though he’s not putting up points. Then I see him benched in the 3rd during a close game.

This guy is trying to hard. Pressure is a terrible terrible thing for a player. He is putting it on himself. Its going to hit him one of these days very soon and he is going to buckle down and just play better.

Yep everyone is right he is not going well. Thats all we know. When on his game he is a core player. I like him.

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
My favourite part of the game was when Kadri, Matthews, and Tavares were on the ice at the same time at the end of the 2nd.

Reactions: Al14

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We need Willie to do more than "look engaged." Isn't that the bare minimum we would expect from a Marlies callup, let alone our $7 million star? It's been 7 weeks since he signed. No more excuses! Time to produce, Willie!

willy held out, which is his problem no argument there.

Arbitrarily saying "its been 7 weeks" doesn't mean anything. A: it takes as long as it takes and B: the rest of the league also played those 7 weeks + time willy was out. I don't think he will get up to level of the rest of the NHL this year, but he does need to get up to a reasonable level too though

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You’re really asking my why I care about overpaying our players in a cap world where we’re facing a cap crunch?

why you care this season? yeah, it makes no difference at all to our cap and squad makeup. It doesn't stop us getting rentals or even long term players THIS season. Wait until the dust settles and see who we lose because of his contract whinging about it now is stupid we aren't missing out on anything we want to do in the market or with the squad.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
This game was just wrapping up as I was stepping onto my 13 hour trans-pacific flight - no really, the Boxscore at nhl.com said 3-2 Leafs with about 1:32 left in the game.

I landed in San Francisco about an hour and a half ago and saw that we held it down and won 4-2.

By no means am I saying that we're a better team than Tampa Bay, but I think we pose some problems for them that other teams don't, and I'm glad that we shot them through with a little humility...'The Golden State Warriors of the NHL', the Warriors have won stuff ffs!

On an unrelated note, anyone have a good, reliable, ideally VPN free site for nhl scores (both live and final)?

Because nhl.com and the NHL app (which I deleted) suck a bag of ****s. I could have sworn before they changed the site format (about 4-5 years ago?) it was much cleaner and faster than it is now (kinda like this place and it's shitty slow load times and weak servers).

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yeah they were telegraphed in advance with Freddy always in position and our guys having the shooting lanes clogged as well. How about the insane saves vasi had to make? Give these two teams two **** goalies and leafs still come out on top.
Leafs won last night. Tampa won the previous game. Love to see them meet is the Eastern final.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
A positive note I don't think I heard mentioned but I think last night put us at 22-0 when leading after 2?

Hmmmm.....just looked and we are the only perfect team in the league when leading after 2.

We are the second best in the league when leading after 1 (though the team ahead of us has less than half as many wins.

Sorry for the jinx but at the end of the day, moral of the story is: Leafs Good With Lead

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I record every game and avoid the news and then watch the games late or really early AM, that way i don't have to listen to adverts

wasn't sure i wanted to watch this one, but did so anyway, I'm glad i did!

Nylander actually engaged in contact twice and looked like he was on a mission for a lot of the night

Jake was only cringeworthy once, big improvement, instead of the back pass on the pp, maybe he should just turn it on and take it all the way, couldn't hurt

the Marner goal, not enough superlatives to describe it, my eldest said it reminded him of the Sedins at their best

Naz Kap and Paddy were great, when Naz engages he drives the line to where they should be

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
To me it looked like the Matthews line might come alive with Hyman back on it. Nylander still needs some percent more to be able to score again though.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For the 2nd head to head game in a row, the Leafs' defense was flat out better than the Bolts' defense.

The only superiority the Bolts have shown in the 2 head to heads is 1) they've been more dangerous with the extra attacker, and b) they've received better goaltending.

Reactions: weems
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad