Speculation: Front Office

Should Rutherford Stay or Go?

• Total voters

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I doubt they’re looking to sell right now. COVID and it’s near aftermath have sports franchises as a depressed asset. There’s really no way to tell how long it’ll be before full stands and profits again. Until that time you’re losing money. You’re not going to sell when it’s at it’s lowest, especially if you can wait three years and have things normal again.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Look at what has happened to this franchise in the course of the last 12 months.

Fired 3 assistant coaches.
Fired their Assistant General Manager.
Finally bought out a horrible player and contract.
Then showing they learned nothing, sign an equally terrible player, albeit to a 1yr contract.
Traded away two 1st round picks.

Yeah, it's maddening.
So... why is hiring trevor Daley a bad thing

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm a fan of bringing in Daley and getting him started in management. Seems like a really good guy.

That aside, the front office seems like a mess. They never even replaced Guerin, and now they've canned Karmanos. JR has a hard enough time with the CBA as it is and now he's on his own. Yikes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Good lord. Stop being a drama queen. Its an advisory role. Daley is literally a step up in title from the JR's administrative assistant.
You think this about Daley?

This is about the fact that there's no proper heir to the GM role and he's basically now surrounded himself with yes men.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You think this about Daley?

This is about the fact that there's no proper heir to the GM role and he's basically now surrounded himself with yes men.

Yeah we do. You haven’t heard of Pursy Nappington?

tumblr_mz7g6hykpO1s02vreo1_400.gif

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The thing that's weird to me is that they already had a vacant AGM position. Why not fill it and then fire Karmanos instead of putting us in a position with 0 AGM's and hoping you can find someone good? If they just wanted to see how Sam handled the job, I'm sure there were plenty of responsibilities they could have given him from the vacant AGM spot instead of throwing him in the deep end.

Just feels rushed/unplanned. Maybe Karmanos did get himself in some trouble or something. Maybe he insulted JR's intelligence for signing Ceci.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I hate this.

He was, and is, the driving force regarding analytics.

If ever there was a declaration that the knuckle-draggers won.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Just wondering if cost savings is a part of this. Everyone pointed to all the cash savings on players. Could they be trying to have a bare bones front office for a season to save some cash?

I’m sure there’s more to it than that, but that could be part of it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So... why is hiring trevor Daley a bad thing

I put this quote in the salary cap thread..it’s from a post-gazette article today:

“Rutherford also said that Daley will be there to serve as a sounding board for players who don’t feel comfortable venting to coaches or top management.“

what does this tell you about Sullivan and JR?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Just wondering if cost savings is a part of this. Everyone pointed to all the cash savings on players. Could they be trying to have a bare bones front office for a season to save some cash?

I’m sure there’s more to it than that, but that could be part of it.

Staff were taking pay cuts. Not sure how long for.

This is a quote in an Athletic article from May:

The statement also said Morehouse is to take a 50 percent salary reduction, with other senior executives having their salaries cut by 25 percent. That group includes coaches.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I put this quote in the salary cap thread..it’s from a post-gazette article today:

“Rutherford also said that Daley will be there to serve as a sounding board for players who don’t feel comfortable venting to coaches or top management.“

what does this tell you about Sullivan and JR?

That’s a human nature thing though and expected from a good cross section of the community. It’s not Penguins specific

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Staff were taking pay cuts. Not sure how long for.

This is a quote in an Athletic article from May:

The statement also said Morehouse is to take a 50 percent salary reduction, with other senior executives having their salaries cut by 25 percent. That group includes coaches.

Interesting thanks. Well if that’s the case, cutting more cash could make sense. No one knows what this season looks like but revenue will be down vs a normal season. Your offseason is done and maybe you’ve determined Karmanos doesn’t have a long time future here. Cut bait, save some cash, and run bare bones for a bit. That or freeing up cash to bring someone else in at a later date.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That’s a human nature thing though and expected from a good cross section of the community. It’s not Penguins specific

Really? It’s shitty if you can’t talk to your boss...if a boss sets up that dynamic with his/her employees, that person should be fired imo...

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Really? It’s shitty if you can’t talk to your boss...if a boss sets up that dynamic with his/her employees, that person should be fired imo...

Sometimes it’s not the boss who sets up that dynamic. People can put it on themselves which is natural because you’re complaining to someone who has influence on your income

Reactions: Freeptop

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Interesting thanks. Well if that’s the case, cutting more cash could make sense. No one knows what this season looks like but revenue will be down vs a normal season. Your offseason is done and maybe you’ve determined Karmanos doesn’t have a long time future here. Cut bait, save some cash, and run bare bones for a bit. That or freeing up cash to bring someone else in at a later date.

They do have to start paying players this week and with no games money will be tight.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1