TSN: From @GagnonFrancois: Habs should consider trading core players.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I am of the opinion that Pacioretty should be on the table if we could get a great offer for him. He is not captain material and he plays a very perimetre game. He is on a sweetheart of a contract and we if could get two incredible talents for one 40 goal scorer we could really spread the talent out.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I am of the opinion that Pacioretty should be on the table if we could get a great offer for him. He is not captain material and he plays a very perimetre game. He is on a sweetheart of a contract and we if could get two incredible talents for one 40 goal scorer we could really spread the talent out.

If he's on the table I would want either a blue chip or young high end centre with potential 1C. Can't get a 1C for a winger, but I want someone who is high end and just stuck behind someone. Or, a LHD potential top 2, and a blue chip forward prospect.

Seems high, but he's on a great contract.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Well well well... would you look at that. Actual NHL guys saying what a lot of people around here have been saying for years (and vilified for it).

He's obviously not going to be a 1st liner, and even 2nd line isn't where he should play the most, but I'm still not convinced it's a problem with him as much as with his usage by the coaches... And the makeup of this team.

Eller is a very good 3rd line C and should stay there. He's fast, big, strong, protects the puck... Good defensively. We figured all this out last year, but Therrien keeps wanting him to be a winger.

Also, DD is also better suited as a 3rd line C than top 6, but more in an exploitation role compared to Eller who could take on the best lines and try to stop them with the right wingers. So of course one of them won't be at that position.

For the record, still don't know why they broke the EGG line when they were successful, or why it took so much time to see them together again, and not for long.

mobifree

Cellphone Unlocker
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
www.mobifree.net
There's no way anyone gives up a first for Markov.

Plekanec may fetch a first if we're lucky to get the right GM.
He's playing like a 2nd rounder right now.

Anyone not named Price, Subban and Gallagher are on the trade block for me.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...you'd be surprised how many GMs go nuts over puck moving D at the deadline, especially one as celebrated as Markov...he picks it up a bit (with less TOI) and he'll garner a 1st...as will Pleks to the right team looking to make a push...have faith, amigo...;)

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

I think it's silly of all you not to include pacioretty in all this. You need to see past his monumental expectations because of the C he wears. If he is fed correctly by his center he's a 30 plus goal guy. I don't know if you have seen the NHL these day's but 30 goal guy's aren't a dime a dozen.

Last year everyone loved patches and I knew when he got the C that it was all over for him. Will alway's say it... In this city go with four alternates the Captain title is a death sentence.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would trade Plekanec for a 1st + prospect or 2nd+ 2 x Prospects.

I would trade Markov (retained salary) for a pick. (Nothing less than a 3rd otherwise I would still keep him.)

I would trade Weise, Byron, Flynn, DSP, Gilbert for the best pick available. I would trade Pacioretty only if we can get 2 top prospects + 1st (i.e. Strome, Dal Colle, 1st or Theodore, Ritchie, 1st.)

Emelin, Eller, Desharnais have negative value but if anybody offer something for any of them they are also going.

I keep Beaulieu, Subban, Petry.
Price (obviously) and Gallagher, Galchenyuk on offense.

Last edited:

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
I agree with Bob McKenzie. Markov and Pleks have basically zero value.

Huge cap hits, playing badly, potential flat cap next year... Why would a team pay Pleks $12m over the next two years? For what, exactly? Why would anyone trade for Markov when it looks like he's already out of gas and it's still January?

If Bergevin gets anything for them without keeping salary I would be very impressed.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Maybe we could get a package similar to what gauthier got for cammalleri? :sarcasm:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Im more of the retool not rebuild approach.

There is still a window where Pleks and Markov can be part of a run in a weak conference. Id be open to trade both but who takes them and what for.

Now guys like Weise, Flynn, Flash, Fat Belly, Dilbert, DD, Byron are guys you trade any pick you can get

Off season you hope for a healthy Price, maybe a high pick steps right in and a few signings.

Thats best case scenario imo

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine

There is still a window where Pleks and Markov can be part of a run in a weak conference. Id be open to trade both but who takes them and what for.

Now guys like Weise, Flynn, Flash, Fat Belly, Dilbert, DD, Byron are guys you trade any pick you can get

Off season you hope for a healthy Price, maybe a high pick steps right in and a few signings.

Great post.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Huge cap hits, playing badly, potential flat cap next year... Why would a team pay Pleks $12m over the next two years? For what, exactly? Why would anyone trade for Markov when it looks like he's already out of gas and it's still January?

If Bergevin gets anything for them without keeping salary I would be very impressed.

Yet he's defensively responsible and on pace for another 60 point season. People like to talk s*** about the guy but he's one of the most consistent TW centermen in the league. Chicago picked up Vermette for a first round pick and Dahlbeck. Last time I checked, Plekanec was much better than Vermette.

Markov has been excellent his whole career up until this slump. It's not like he's been bad for years now. He's struggling along with the rest of the team. No reason to think he can't turn it around. Timmonen was in much worst shape (bloodclots!) than Markov when he got dealt for a second and 4th round pick.

You'd be surprised what teams will pay when it comes time to make a playoff push.

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB

I agree with all of this.

The scenario I'm the most worried about is if we just miss the playoffs. No playoff run, and we don't get a high pick, really does nothing for this franchise.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I agree with all of this.

The scenario I'm the most worried about is if we just miss the playoffs. No playoff run, and we don't get a high pick, really does nothing for this franchise.

Thats a valid concern.

We will see if this break will put things back in perspective for the team. If they come back as listless as they have been, the tank is on and wouldnt be shocked if Price is almost shutdown.

Hopefully Therrien is canned and either new or interim coach has direct orders to play the youth no matter what

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

most realistic, and imo, correct way to go about it.

New coach, healthy mvp and (maybe) a top 5 pick would be lovely.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yet he's defensively responsible and on pace for another 60 point season. People like to talk s*** about the guy but he's one of the most consistent TW centermen in the league. Chicago picked up Vermette for a first round pick and Dahlbeck. Last time I checked, Plekanec was much better than Vermette.

Markov has been excellent his whole career up until this slump. It's not like he's been bad for years now. He's struggling along with the rest of the team. No reason to think he can't turn it around. Timmonen was in much worst shape (bloodclots!) than Markov when he got dealt for a second and 4th round pick.

You'd be surprised what teams will pay when it comes time to make a playoff push.

he's not on pace for 60pts...Plekanec had 10pts in his first 9 games, he has 24pts in the next 40 games including 4 goals.

As for what Chicago gave up for Vermette, this has been mentioned several times, but Vermette was a UFA...he was a rental

plekanec is signed for another 2 years at 6M per year. As Bob McKenzie said and as I've been saying for weeks now, with the cap flattening out, no one is going to trade for that contract without sending one back....

It would be difficult to move Plekanec if he was playing well, imagine now that he's been crap basically the entire year

There's an inflated sense of Plekanec's worth league wide, I don't think he's seen as valuable league wide, as he's seen in MTL....

Same thing with Timmonen, he was a UFA....Markov is not

Trading salary is one thing, trading salary with term, on aging players who are in decline, is a whole other

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Absolutely not, this is the fact that some people have a hard time digesting. Plekanec and Markov, could be a part of a run only as 3rd-4th center and 3rd pairing Ds.

This is why I don't mind trading Markov and Plekanec away for 3rd-4th rounders as long as there is no money staying with us. And I would give away DD for nothing, because he's waiver material if we are honest with each other. Byron has more value than these 3.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Lecavalier looked like he was out of gas and PRESTO!!.....goes to L.A and kicks ass..a change of scenery can do wonders sometimes.

I can see Plekanec going to Florida or New Jersey
Markov to a western team....San Jose, Dallas or Anaheim

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Lecavalier looked like he was out of gas and PRESTO!!.....goes to L.A and kicks ass..a change of scenery can do wonders sometimes.

I can see Plekanec going to Florida or New Jersey
Markov to a western team....San Jose, Dallas or Anaheim

Lecavalier wasn't even playing regularly that's a good difference. Markov looks completely out of it right now, playing top minutes from the beginning of the season. Our dumb ass coaching staff is just realizing it. I want to sell Markov, but you have to face reality at some point, the guy's value is low, very low.

Kaberle for Spacek is the comparable IMHO.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Yep, constantly playing him in the top 6 has convinced him he's a highly skilled player, whereas he's still a replaceable bottom 6 grinder who's not even doing any grinding job anymore.

Ship him for whatever you can.

See my post in another thread on the destruction of 'middle class' players in nhl. Chicago traded saad ffs. They get it. Habs have room for 4 10 mill contracts, and the rest get 1.5.

Bergy is clueless about this. Chicago is not.

If Weiss wants more than 1.5 mill goodbye.

Rock On

May 29, 2006
Saint-Jean
Well if we are sellers here is my take on the team :

Real top 6 guys :
Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Plekanec.

Top 9 guys (who CAN play top 6 when injuries occur) : Flash, DD, Eller, Weise

Wild cards 2016-2017 : probable top 9 and MAYBE (long shot) real top 6 : Carr, Hudon, Ghetto and McCarron

Let's say 2 of these guys are ready next year, we'd have too much 3rd liners and not enough top 6 guys. I'd trade 2 or 3 of DD, Eller, Weise or Flash and trade Plekanec IF (and only IF) we can have a younger top 6 C ready for next year.

That way we could get picks and create ~5M$ of cap space for next year to sign a UFA top 6 forward. The next step step would be the dmen.

To keep :
Subban, Petry, Beaulieu, Markov (only if it's possible to have a good return, if not live with him), Pateryn, Barberio.

So we can trade Emelin and Gilbert for picks and that way we create another ~ 5M$ to sign another UFA forward.

For the other D spot we'd have to sign a bottom pairing with a good physical presence vet to replace Emelin's job at around 2M$.

So that leaves :
Whatever the lines :
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
UFA-Plekanec-UFA
3 of Eller, Flash, DD, Weise, ghetto, Hudon, McCarron and Carr
Byron-Mitchell-DSP
Flynn(where he belongs)

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
UFA Barberio Pateryn to complete the D

And the key :

Healthy Carey