TSN: From @GagnonFrancois: Habs should consider trading core players.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nobody is disputing that Barkov is surging or that he will be a stud, but just because Barkov's getting better and Plekanec is getting worse doesn't mean that Plekanec isn't the better player at this moment in time. Yes at some point very soon Barkov will surpass Plekanec, but it hasn't happened yet.

Have you watched Plekanec and Barkov play this year?

Barkov is centering one of the top lines in the NHL...

Plekanec has 2ES goals in 3 months...

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
Plekanec has only been better than Desharnais, which is obviously nothing.

Barkov is a solid big center, this year. He's way ahead of Plekanec now, no way around it. We are seeing Plekanec's career come to an end right before our eyes this year, obviously Markov as well.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think Plekanec is done, he's still a very useful player

But he's more of a 2nd/3rd line center at this point in his career. He shouldn't be depended on to drive offense.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I don't think Plekanec is done, he's still a very useful player

But he's more of a 2nd/3rd line center at this point in his career. He shouldn't be depended on to drive offense.

I think he has always been a 3rd line centre. Maybe im mistaken but 3rd line Cs are supposed to be shutdown defensive type players. A true stanley cup contender would have pleks as a 3C. Eller is also a 3C so this where all the confusion comes from.
Gally is a 1C hands down, he has been held back way too long. What we are missing is a 2C.
4C is checking line period. Go out there and rough up the other team, give our players a break and score the odd goal. DD doesnt even fit anywhere on our team. Hes not defensive (so not a 3C) he doesnt check (so not a 4C) he doesnt shoot and cant score so not a 1C or 2C.
What the habs management has done is so bad that they cant figure out the pieces for our centres.
It would be like an MLB team with too many Shortstops, and just having the extras playing different positions in right or left field.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Have you watched Plekanec and Barkov play this year?

Barkov is centering one of the top lines in the NHL...

Plekanec has 2ES goals in 3 months...

There was a time this season where Plekanec's line was one of the top lines in the NHL.

They both have 2 goals in the past 12 games. Plekanec has 22 points in those 3 months, Barkov has 24. I'm not seeing this huge difference.

Plekanec has also had to deal with Therrien which is something that limits his offence whereas Barkov doesn't have to deal with nonsensical line shuffling, playing second fiddle to DD or an inept PP.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
There was a time this season where Plekanec's line was one of the top lines in the NHL.

They both have 2 goals in the past 12 games. Plekanec has 22 points in those 3 months, Barkov has 24. I'm not seeing this huge difference.

Plekanec has also had to deal with Therrien which is something that limits his offence whereas Barkov doesn't have to deal with nonsensical line shuffling, playing second fiddle to DD or an inept PP.

Pleks is a prototypical #2 center in my mind. Problem is he's currently playing on the #1 line due to reluctance to keep 27 there and seemingly going against other teams top lines, like a shutdown center should. Once again, with this team, the problem isn't the player it's how the player is used.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Keep : Subban, Price, Pac, Gally, Galchenyuk, Beau and all the prospects.

IDC bout the rest

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Anyone who is an UFA at year's end and we don't intend to sign :
Flash
Gilbert

And this garbage :
Plekanec
Markov
DD
Eller

I'd keep Weise and Byron personally but ...

I like the idea of Galchenyuk centering the top 3 lines simultaneously :sarcasm:

I'd try to move
Flash
DD
Gilbert
Markov (that kills me)

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Pleks contract is practically untradable....
Andrei Markov has an NTC and nobody wants DD.
MB has his work cut out for him.

Pleks and Markov for sure
(provided Andrei Markov waives his NTC)

Emelin and DD
Not sure why people would say Eller. If we lose Pleks Eller HAS to stay for the 3rd.

We don't have to ask Markov permission in case we want to trade him, no? (depending on what team is on his NTC...?).

Markov's NTC...I think (but not 100% sure) his NTC opens up a bit starting January 1st, 2016 (few weeks ago)...no? I'm not sure though...maybe he has 5-10 teams on his list he can be traded to?
(**** his NTC....same goes for Emelin's NTC, but it may also open up a little for trades to 5-10 teams or more, but again...not sure).

I really really hope we get a top 3-5 pick this year...and I also hope we (somehow) add another 1st rnd pick (top 20? top 25?). Hopefully Markov can be traded for a 1st rnd pick (or a 2nd+3rd). I'm still hoping (dreaming?)...since many here think Markov is still darn good we should be able to get a lot for him!

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We're probably only going to find takers on expiring contracts or low cap hit contracts if they are for longer terms, given several GMs expressing concerns over a the cap likely getting lowered next year.

Bergevin works slowly so not even sure he'll get that much done in the short term. We should know by now that even with the worst team in the league over the last two months, several players having mailed it in, the coach not having the ability to optimally deploy his assets, never mind adjusting his approach when situations warrant it -- none of this was enough for Bergevin to take any concrete action, other than doubling down on his failed decision-making or lack of it with lame cop-out lines about it being on him and foxholing.

So long as we're not mathematically eliminated, I tend to believe he won't be doing much selling by the trading deadline.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Markov is number 2 on the all-time points list in Canadiens history. Hes going to retire a Habs. Thatd it thats all. Hell never be traded.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The team is tanking, Markov & Plekanec aren't getting younger. If we're selling and we ask them whether they would prefer to play with a contender for the rest of their contract or uphold an NTC, I think they would chose to play with the contender. Same goes for Emelin.

NTCs aren't a problem when the team is sinking to the bottom.

LouisJCloutier

Aug 4, 2006
Gaspésie
Markov could have a good value, but MT is lowering it right now. If he can't play on the powerplay on the worst powerplay in the whole league, it's gonna be tough to convince a GM that he can help them.

Just another way that MT is hurting this team.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Markov could have a good value, but MT is lowering it right now. If he can't play on the powerplay on the worst powerplay in the whole league, it's gonna be tough to convince a GM that he can help them.

Just another way that MT is hurting this team.

Good point... :(

duckwellboots

Nov 23, 2015
Wonder if the Panthers, with one of the worst powerplays in the league, would be interested in a Markov for their push for and through the playoffs.

We've all seen his limitations this year 5-on-5, but with his vision, he can still excel on the man advantage. Additionally, Gallant knows him well from his time here.

I do know the Panthers already have a couple of older rearguards in Campbell and Mitchell, so that could preclude them from being interested in Markov, but I have to imagine they'll want to address their struggling powerplay in one way or another for the final stretch.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The team is tanking, Markov & Plekanec aren't getting younger. If we're selling and we ask them whether they would prefer to play with a contender for the rest of their contract or uphold an NTC, I think they would chose to play with the contender. Same goes for Emelin.

NTCs aren't a problem when the team is sinking to the bottom.

The imbalance in expenditure between our D and our forwards has to be addressed.
We need to lop off big chunks of Cap Markov for sure and maybe even Pleky.
The premise for signing these guys (cup window) no longer exists.
The plan if there ever was one has failed miserably and we are going to need more than a simple retool.
IMHO
A serious issue we face is the players we may want to offer up all have a reputation of being soft in the post season which isn't ideal for a TDL acquisition. The one player who doesn't is Eller but his salary will almost ensure he stays put. There are too many "cheaper options" out there.
**** **** **** **** ****...ed

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Markov is number 2 on the all-time points list in Canadiens history. Hes going to retire a Habs. Thatd it thats all. Hell never be traded.

Markov has been a great player for MTL, he's also been loyal, but if someone offers us a 1st for him I wave goodbye to him

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
200_s.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: