TSN: From @GagnonFrancois: Habs should consider trading core players.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Forget about being sellers, we're just going to trade picks for players who aren't useful and are there in case of injury, depth. But still, we'll build through the draft and wait another 5 more years for our prospects to flourish, all part of the plan. Always build through the draft, without acquiring more picks than you're giving away. We need to fight for that 8th spot.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Plekanec is expensive but on a short term deal. He's a really good piece that I'd want on my team if i was going in for a cup run. His salary would be an issue cap wise but we could take back salary in return if it was a short term deal. He should at least garner a 1st + if we take back a contract. Or we could give him to the Rangers for free if they want to give us Vigneault... :laugh:

It's hard to gauge his value because his contract isn't expiring and isn't cheap, he's not playing that well right now, and his playoff reputation is the exact opposite of what teams are looking for at the deadline.

Also it leaves a decent-sized hole for us next year so I'm not sure it's in our best interest.

But if some team wanted to make a big push for him I'd certainly listen...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Byron = Expected return 5th/6th round pick
Fleischmann = Expected return 5th/6th round pick
Weise = Expected return 3rd round/4th round pick
DSP = Expected return 4th/5th round pick
Gilbert = Expected return 3rd/4th round pick
Desharnais = Expected return 2nd/3rd round pick + not good contract

We have a much better chance of getting a 2nd for Weise than for Desharnais. Weise is cheaper, is a UFA, and has a better playoff track record.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's hard to gauge his value because his contract isn't expiring and isn't cheap, he's not playing that well right now, and his playoff reputation is the exact opposite of what teams are looking for at the deadline.

Also it leaves a decent-sized hole for us next year so I'm not sure it's in our best interest.

If I were a team making a run, I'd take a good look at him. He's not the kind of guy who's going to put up big points and he is overpaid from that perspective but he is a guy who can shut down a Crosby. He's tough to play against, he's an agitator and he's the kind of guy who you can put out there and feel safe knowing that he's there. He's a very versatile player. And I can't help but wonder if a team like the Panthers would want him esp considering that he's played with Jagr in the past.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

it's not hard to guage Plekanec's value...all of what you just listed

- 2 more years left on his contract
- not playing well
- bad playoff reputation

He's not an attractive option for a contending team heading into the playoffs, the financial committment is way too cumbersome without sending a contract back, and his play is trending down, not up

if you're a contending team, who seemingly has your top 2 centers well established, are you going to commit the next 2+ years of your salary cap, at 6M each year, for your 3rd line center?

Don't see it

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Good luck trading contracts with term.

Apart from Markov...I don't see Plekanec, DD, Eller or those types traded unless you take salary back.

All we got for sale is:

Weise
Scrivens
Gilbert
Flash
Byron

and Markov perhaps. The rest is up in the air.

Emelin has a NMC up until the off-season. Markov has a limited NTC I think.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Plekanec and DD should be the only one to go.

With Gilbert leaveing this summer and Maybe Weise that would free up to close to 15M cap space. We would then be able to sign a real top 6 warrior (Can't believe we wouldn't sign one of those beauty on FA) + It would probably get us into the lottery which is really great because the draft this year is insane.

If we end up with a top 4 pick. We will have the choice between Matthews, one of the two Finns but also Chychrun who could be very valuable to team like EDM and ARZ, so maybe we could make a blockbuster with them.

The plan should be to attack the draft with as much draft pick and cap space as possible.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Byron = Expected return 5th/6th round pick
Fleischmann = Expected return 5th/6th round pick
Weise = Expected return 3rd round/4th round pick
DSP = Expected return 4th/5th round pick
Gilbert = Expected return 3rd/4th round pick
Desharnais = Expected return 2nd/3rd round pick + not good contract
Why are so many people over-valuing this guy? He's worth at most a 3rd or 4th round pick, that's all.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Plek = 1st

Weise = 3rd

Gilbert = 3rd

Emelin = 2nd

DD = 3rd

Eller = 3rd

In the end, the only players I wouldn't listen to offers about would be Subban, Price, Petry, Gallagher and Pacioretty.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If I were a team making a run, I'd take a good look at him. He's not the kind of guy who's going to put up big points and he is overpaid from that perspective but he is a guy who can shut down a Crosby. He's tough to play against, he's an agitator and he's the kind of guy who you can put out there and feel safe knowing that he's there. He's a very versatile player. And I can't help but wonder if a team like the Panthers would want him esp considering that he's played with Jagr in the past.

Panthers have one of the best lines in hockey Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr

Their 2nd line has Bjustad

They're also a budget team, they're not going to pay Plekanec 6M a year to center their 3rd line.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Plek = 1st

Weise = 3rd

Gilbert = 3rd

Emelin = 2nd

DD = 3rd

Eller = 3rd

In the end, the only players I wouldn't listen to offers about would be Subban, Price, Petry, Gallagher and Pacioretty.

No way our players are worth that much. Emelin for a 2nd? If that was the case, he would've been trade a long term ago.

Gilbert? a 3rd? I like the guy but no way can he fetch a 3rd.

DD I actually doubt we could get rid of him.

I would not trade Eller. No way.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I have no doubt that Plekanec would be worth a first rounder but my question is a) who would be interested in him and b) who would have the cap space to keep him going forward?

Right now the only teams I see that could actually use Plek are NJ, CGY, EDM (?), STL, ARI, CBJ. Now STL doesn't have the cap space, NJ don't have the assets, EDM has a lot of centers so it's a question of how their managements evaluates their personel.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Every player is tradable and every single player has value.

I'll say it again...it's a cap issue. It's not about "being paid too much" or whatever.

Have people seen the dollar? Have people seen teams up against the cap? Have people seen that many teams are close to the 50 man contract limit?

There's just so many reasons why you aren't going to trade big salary without taking it back.

budro16

Jan 24, 2016
Everybody is available except:

Patches
Subban
Pricer
Gallagher
Galchenyuk
Mcarron

At this point I really do still believe if Price is back soon we can still get into the playoffs and with a few additions at the deadline we could surprise, but if we are blowing it up, do it right and get a good pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->