Confirmed with Link: Frk re-claimed by the Wings

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Legwand got moved to the 4th line by babcock almost immediately. I don't think a 4th line player was critical to making the playoffs that year and I don't think a forth line rental player was worth a prospect with decent trade value and 2 second round picks.

Not true.

Legwand averaged 16:16 TOI a night in Detroit. He was moved to the 4th line, for a handful of games, when our injured players began returning to lineup.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not true.

Legwand averaged 16:16 TOI a night in Detroit. He was moved to the 4th line, for a handful of games, when our injured players began returning to lineup.

He was moved there for the entire playoffs, arguably when you would need a player most you are picking up as a rental at the deadline.

They knew damn well we weren't getting out of the playoffs that year with Datsyuk hurt and Z coming off major back surgery. That move was strictly to keep the streak alive.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He was moved there for the entire playoffs, arguably when you would need a player most you are picking up as a rental at the deadline.

They knew damn well we weren't getting out of the playoffs that year with Datsyuk hurt and Z coming off major back surgery. That move was strictly to keep the streak alive.

He still played 14 minutes a night in playoffs.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
which was 12th among forwards. Guy wasn't a significant add at all and I think drastically underperformed what was expected of him.

The guy scored 11 points in 21 games that some were game tying or game winning. Wings squeaked into the playoffs that year. That was significant.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's basically crying over spilled milk. But yes, this is a discussion forum where we can all come to complain about nothing that has any effect on anything whatsoever. :laugh:

Still better than Frk. And fills a role that Detroit's soft bottom 6 actually needed. Que the Mantha comments... "but he's taking a roster spot away from Mantha" :laugh:

/predictable.

Predictable? The most predictable part rebuttals like this which serve to only undermine your own argument by fabricating the severity and content of the conversation being had.

I have said many times this is a compounding issue, not a singular move, that directs to a trend that has left the Wings unable to maximize the use of their prospect pool while also having little to no cap flexibility.

I can't state it anymore simply than that. And I'm not going to engage in these discussions where you continually dismiss the content of that message and retreat to cliches about how every critique, even those admittedly minor, are labeled as crying and complaining.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The guy scored 11 points in 21 games that some were game tying or game winning. Wings squeaked into the playoffs that year. That was significant.

8 at even strength and still managed to be a -9 while with us. The guy managed to be on the ice for 17 goals against in just 21 games. He was a sieve and arguably hurt the cause as much as he helped.

You want to keep pointing to making the playoffs, point at Nyquist and let it drop.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
8 at even strength and still managed to be a -9 while with us. The guy managed to be on the ice for 17 goals against in just 21 games. He was a sieve and arguably hurt the cause as much as he helped.

You want to keep pointing to making the playoffs, point at Nyquist and let it drop.

This is one of those times I can look back and go, "I was dead wrong." Because I always liked Legwand as a player and thought he'd fit in great for the Wings. I figured he'd perform in a much needed 2nd line center role and possibly be with the Wings for a couple more years, which is what Holland hinted at when acquiring him. I was bullish on the acquisition and thought Jarnkrok was going to bolt to Sweden anyway.

Oh goodness none of that came true.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This is one of those times I can look back and go, "I was dead wrong." Because I always liked Legwand as a player and thought he'd fit in great for the Wings. I figured he'd perform in a much needed 2nd line center role and possibly be with the Wings for a couple more years, which is what Holland hinted at when acquiring him. I was bullish on the acquisition and thought Jarnkrok was going to bolt to Sweden anyway.

Would we rather have Jarnkrok? I don't even know the answer to that. He's never impressed me when we've played against him.

On the other hand his production isn't anything to sneeze at. ~27 points over 82 game pace. Not awful. That's Helm level.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Yeah, I was expecting more from legwand, too. I didn't love the deal, but I thought we at least got a guy who would be a genuine plus for a couple of years. Guy just didn't have anything left in the tank, though.

In the end, the trade itself doesn't bother me. What I have never understood is why we didn't give Jarnkrok a look first. We were decimated by injuries. Calling him up and playing him for five or six games wouldn't have been difficult. I think Jarnkrok's game translated better than the Wings thought because of their doubts over his size.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would we rather have Jarnkrok? I don't even know the answer to that. He's never impressed me when we've played against him.

On the other hand his production isn't anything to sneeze at. ~27 points over 82 game pace. Not awful. That's Helm level.

I'd rather have my 2nd round pick back. Or my 2nd round pick back from the Cole trade.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well, Detroit took Vili Saarijarvi with the 3rd round pick Dallas gave. I'd much rather have Vili.

A 2nd in that draft could have gotten us Rasmus Andersson or Oliver Kylington. I'd rather have the 2nd.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hmm, I wonder how Saarijarvi will look on Carolina in a few years.

I actually like Saarijarvi a lot, but I'd always take a 2nd over a 3rd.

I like both these Swedes that were taken in the 2nd a lot also.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Predictable? The most predictable part rebuttals like this which serve to only undermine your own argument by fabricating the severity and content of the conversation being had.

I have said many times this is a compounding issue, not a singular move, that directs to a trend that has left the Wings unable to maximize the use of their prospect pool while also having little to no cap flexibility.

I can't state it anymore simply than that. And I'm not going to engage in these discussions where you continually dismiss the content of that message and retreat to cliches about how every critique, even those admittedly minor, are labeled as crying and complaining.

Frk
Farraro
Jensen
Pulkennen
Almquist
Rino
Ritola
Mursak
Coetzee
Backman

Doesn't seem like a compounding issue to me, like at all. It looks more like management has identified players that just can't/won't/didnt develop. Trimming the fat doesn't mean "compounding issue."

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario

Agreed, I thought Legwand was a perfect fit after watching him play against the Wings over the years. I think it's safe to say they miss the playoffs that year without him though. It was a very close finish and for a good stretch their center depth was Legwand-Sheahan-Emmerton-Glendening

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Let's discuss ex-Red Wings in the "Around the NHL" thread.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Frk
Farraro
Jensen
Pulkennen
Almquist
Rino
Ritola
Mursak
Coetzee
Backman

Doesn't seem like a compounding issue to me, like at all. It looks more like management has identified players that just can't/won't/didnt develop. Trimming the fat doesn't mean "compounding issue."
You are correct to the extent that trimming the fat, in and of itself, isn't a problem.

But when all you do is trim, while the overall talent level of the roster continues to decline, there's your issue.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
But when all you do is trim, while the overall talent level of the roster continues to decline, there's your issue.

It's like it's hard to find Lidstrom's, Datsyuk's and Zetterberg's in the draft or something.

The problem here isn't that Detroit is in a talent decline. The problem is that they were so wildly and phenomenally talented for so long that merely regressing to somewhere near the league mean feels like a total collapse.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Now that we have the luxury of hindsight we can say Holland played the last batch of prospects damn near perfectly.

The NHL contributors were all held onto:
AA, Tatar, Sheahan, Nyquist, Sproul, Marchenko, XO, (mrazek, Larkin, etc)

The irrelevant were given a chance (ie. Played out their waiver eligibility in the organization) and moved on from:
Frk, Nestrasil, Ferarro, Pulkinnen, McCollum

The redundant NHL players were shipped out for useful assets:
Jarnkrok, Janmark, Backman

That's not how it works, though. All the players who are good were good in spite of Holland and would have been better with other GMs and coaches. All the irrelevant ones are such because their development was flawed and broken, also because of Holland. All the redundant ones are obviously draft mistakes by Holland, who should have known to use all of those picks on defense, instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad