News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Habs Pursuing Dubois)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I cant see the habs trading for dubois during the season. Dubois will need to quarantine for 2 weeks, so that means for 2 weeks we wont have Dubois nor the roster players we traded him for.
That would be a big handicap to winning games and hurt our chances of making the playoffs
Agreed, but I’d still do it.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
ooof can you imagine? it's KK or Danault. I think it's KK unfortunately and then Danault slides into the 3 C role going forward. They'd have to take on money...not sure who. Definitely our 1st and a 3rd piece. It won't be guhle or romanov. guaranteed. berg said suzuki, KK and romanov were his untouchables - he's not giving up 2/3

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

According to Friedman, the Habs and Jets are two teams really pursuing Dubois. He does say that other teams are also interested, but they're not receiving a lot of attention:

ErjO65yWMAE5x5q

Does Dubois have to quarantine for 14 days if we acquire him? Because we have give up a lot to get him. Be big affect on our team.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Does Dubois have to quarantine for 14 days if we acquire him? Because we have give up a lot to get him. Be big affect on our team.

Probably not 14 days. For the athletes, it is 7 days and 4 negative tests. But he would have to quarantine since he'd be coming from the US.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I doubt the Kings give up Byfield, but they might part with Turcotte and definitely Vilardi.

I think KK is a better player than those two. Would the Rangers give up Kakko after he was the worst player in the league last year? Who would Columbus rather have KK or Kakko? That's what it comes down to. And our throw-ins would be better.

I don't think Danault gets it done, and why would he stay there if he's UFA? And I would never trade a cerebral two-way player like Suzuki, he's now 208 lbs!

No way Columbus wants Laine.

I think we have to pull the trigger with KK, we can't let the Rangers have Dubois AND Lafreniere...and then I would re-sign Danault. Dubois-Suzuki-Danault is a kickass center group.

If we had tanked like we were SUPPOSED to we'd have Dubois instead of Drouin...but then we probably don't get Suzuki so...

I think it will happen and Bergy will move KK for Dubois.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yup, I am awful skeptic on this trade. Be major change to team. We made our moves and things look good. Could mess them up.

I don't think a trade will materialize. I'm sure Habs are looking into it, though. In 2016, MB wanted to move up in the draft because he wanted to pick Dubois. So you know he and his scouts are real high on him.

Reactions: DavePeak

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. Dubois is a French Canadian monster at the age of 22... let’s get him!

If you believe the ask on the main board, it's either Suzuki + Romanov that gets it done or KK + Guhle + 1st + something else.

The Price is not Right. I ride with Suzuki and KK, we have Drouin to lead the French PR department. Nobody wants Drouin, we passed him around at the Draft and it was a big 'meh'.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If you believe the ask on the main board, it's either Suzuki + Romanov that gets it done or KK + Guhle + 1st + something else.

The Price is not Right. I ride with Suzuki and KK, we have Drouin to lead the French PR department. Nobody wants Drouin, we passed him around at the Draft and it was a big 'meh'.

You’d think they would’ve learned with Drouin. “He’s French so go after him”. Good god.

Reactions: BLONG7

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
You’d think they would’ve learned with Drouin. “He’s French so go after him”. Good god.

He's on the 1st line (ish) with the Brain and the Powerhorse. The franco crowd that lynched Cunneyworth cannot complain one bit about the golden child.

That said, LFG Drou...

We're stuck with you at 5.5M and you're playing with the other guy who gets 5.5M. You two characters figure it out or you'll be flying cargo planes full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!!!

Also, Top Gun 2 is on this Summer. Guess what happened one (1) week after Top Gun was released.

Reactions: HabsHammer

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I don't get it? I believe both KK and Suzuki will have better careers, oh right, French. :skeptic:

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
As much as I would love to see Dubois in a Habs uniform, I'm pretty sure Suzuki or KK would have to go the other way. Suzuki looks to be untouchable in the eyes of most fans and probably Bergevin also, so that means KK would have to be the one to go. Call me a homer but a trade like that would scare me. For sure Dubois is a lot more establish, but KK is just starting to come into his own, we still don't know what player he will truly be as he matures into his body and it would really suck to watch him blossom in Columbus. I'd much rather revisit this trade during the next off season or 2 if it's still on the table.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes, you did the math yourself. PLD has a higher ppg and higher total points in all three of his seasons than Suzuki's one. That is simply a fact. And the closest comparison (the one you make in the quote above) is PLD's 19 year old season vs Suzuki's 20 year old season. So even though the numbers are close (IF you prorate them), PLD did it at a younger age.

How their careers will compare from here on out is anyone's guess, and I'd be very reluctant to give up Suzuki in a deal for PLD because he's shown some glimpses of offensive patience, instincts, and vision that I haven't seen on the Habs since...well, I don't even have a decent comparable (that's how long its been). But the numbers to this point don't lie.

But they arent demonstrably better. What if Dubois has another 50ish point season? Then do we believe the outlier and not the consistency?

It's simply too risky to make the trade and we would be adding salary, plus paying assets.

Danault, Poehling and prospects package? Sure. But KK or Suzuki +?? Bye.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
But they arent demonstrably better. What if Dubois has another 50ish point season? Then do we believe the outlier and not the consistency?

It's simply too risky to make the trade and we would be adding salary, plus paying assets.

Danault, Poehling and prospects package? Sure. But KK or Suzuki +?? Bye.
A 50ish point season probably playing with Tatar and Gally? Ya there is no way that happens, unless you are talking about 50ish points in the 56 games.

Even without Tatar and Gally, he will get better options than Nyquist.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
It would take a big offer.
KK, big +, and decent prospect.

big + being something that hurts a lot like our 1st round pick or Romanov or Caufield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad